Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Radian Weapons Afterburner / Ramjet - Glock 19 Barrel and Compensator

Thanks for the spec. Not to sound dismissive, but I’d rather find a good defensive round-currently 135+P Hornady, w/147 jhp Win.as back up-than go down a rabbit hole of tuning just for a specific round.
    IOW, if 124+P to 147 jhp can make the combo run, then that’s a big plus for me…
    @Erick Gelhaus experience seems encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    15 *inch* pounds is the correct torque spec on the screw, no loctite needed. If need be, this system is easy to tune for 100% reliability for whatever range ammo or defensive carry ammo you are using, especially on the Shadow System MR918 and MR920 pistols, or using the Radian Arms tunable RSA for Glock 19 series pistols. Also, I hear they will be making this comp system available for other pistols in the future.
    Would love one for the VP9 & P320/M18, that's whats keeping me from going for one of these now. Also hoping price will fall a bit but that seems like a long shot lol.

I put some 75 rounds today through it. It ran without any stoppages with SB 115 gr, Norma 124 gr, and HST 124 +P. Visually I liked what I saw on the dot the most with 124 Norma. I didn't have a video setup to see ejection pattern which is something I like doing on defensive comped guns. I think at some point I saw spend cartridges fly out at a rather flat trajectory but I don't even remember what load it was. It shot very accurately, all three loads into a sub 3 inch group at 25 yards.
    I had to interrupt the session for an unrelated reason and couldn't get much into a tracking / muzzle rise part. It does shoot flatter than the same G19 with a regular barrel. Immediate question that popped in my mind was if it shot flatter than a G17, or G17 cut down to a G19 length. I don't have a G17 and rental G17 doesn't have a dot. Somebody else will have to figure that part out.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I'd be most interested in finding what bullet weights/loads are showing the highest returns in terms of recoil mitigation. The ad copy says 'unprecedented' and 44% reduction with 115 gr., so my guess would be that this bullet weight gives the most noticeable difference. I'd like to know what that means at the other end of the spectrum like 147 gr, barely noticeable, or does it still work significantly enough to be worth the squeeze. I don't think many out there are running 115 gr. carry ammo, so it would seem a better baseline would be 124 gr. at minimum.

I think reduction is due somewhat to the perception of the shooter. What makes a comp work is gas pressure. Leatham back in the day ran a 9x25mm(?), which was a 9 mm bullet on a 10mm case. Painfully loud, I heard him comment it generated negative muzzle flip which took some adjusting.
    Federal had a “+P+” 115 load which was supposed to be the bomb back in the day. Probably comes down to shot placement…
    A+P load will be where I start.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    I had a couple, three days with one of these last summer as part of a media event for Crimson Trace - the comp was on a media embargo at the time. I liked it, it worked with the G19 it came on. Maybe 200, 250 rounds through it. Function-wise, it far exceeded the KKM bbl/comp I bought that I've never been able to get to work for even a full magazine's worth.
    STOP IT. Stop endorsing cool expensive shit I don’t need 😄
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    STOP IT. Stop endorsing cool expensive shit I don’t need 😄
    THAT really wasn't an endorsement.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    I'd be most interested in finding what bullet weights/loads are showing the highest returns in terms of recoil mitigation. The ad copy says 'unprecedented' and 44% reduction with 115 gr., so my guess would be that this bullet weight gives the most noticeable difference. I'd like to know what that means at the other end of the spectrum like 147 gr, barely noticeable, or does it still work significantly enough to be worth the squeeze. I don't think many out there are running 115 gr. carry ammo, so it would seem a better baseline would be 124 gr. at minimum.
    If it's anything like the Mayhem Syndicate carry comp I have on my 19.5, the effect is still noticeable on 147 gr loads. My rough estimate would be a 15 to 20% reduction in recoil and muzzle flip. I personally think it's worth it, but it's much further down the list of priorities than a RDS and ammo/training. I'll be picking one of these up to compare.

It was a tough pill to swallow, but I put a box of 147 HST through one of these this morning. I also shot a box of 115 Blazer to see the difference.

I am very familiar with the feel and recoil impulse of 147 HST in a 19/45/19x. The RAMJET did make a noticeable difference. I am pretty impressed.

The 115's were softer, but not tremendously so.

I did not have any FTE/FTF issues but I am wondering if I can tune it a bit better with different recoil spring. It's early, but if it can get through a box of 147 HST, I feel pretty positive about it being able to handle anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    I'd say pressure and powder volume are the big factors.

Most 115gr and 124gr 'target' ammo is basically a -P load, quite a bit underloaded. I've seen a number of 115gr and 124gr FMJ bulk ammos that are loaded to subsonic (below 1125fps) velocity. So I'd imagine those would have the least effect with the comp.

Meanwhile Federal 9BPLE 115Gr +p+ is 38.5kpsi full power +P, and Wichesters new 115gr M1152 'Active Duty' is even slightly hotter still, at around 39kpsi / 1300+fps. Both of those loads should work exceptionally well, and would probably be the very best in terms of mass manufactured ammo. Following these would be 124gr+P Gold Dot and HST.

147gr JHP should be somewhere in the middle. Its not +p or +p+, but due to the heavy projectile weight and limited case capacity, its very likely loaded to near full 9x19 regular pressure of 34-35kpsi (so hotter then normal 115-124gr target bulk ammo.)

User Tag List