Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Radian Weapons Afterburner / Ramjet - Glock 19 Barrel and Compensator

A .380 recoil assembly changed one 9mm P365 from a little laser into I-don't-group-anymore mediocrity. I understand the principles of tuning recoil springs to mass, velocity etc but I am also not putting a two chamber - four ports comp on these gats. If those carry comps aren't within operational envelope of oem recoil springs, I am not too interested.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

@YVK : yours worked though, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    A .380 recoil assembly changed one 9mm P365 from a little laser into I-don't-group-anymore mediocrity. I understand the principles of tuning recoil springs to mass, velocity etc but I am also not putting a two chamber - four ports comp on these gats. If those carry comps aren't within operational envelope of oem recoil springs, I am not too interested.
    Sounds like it was unlocking prematurely but that's a wild ass guess, probably wrong entirely. Is that even possible without blowing up the gun?

Ran thousands of rounds of Fed and Win 147 gr FMJ & JHP through otherwise stock G19's w/KKM bbl and comp without any functional issues (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....KM-compensator).

Just got three of the Ramjet's to try on G19's....will see how they do over the next year or so.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    @YVK : yours worked though, correct?
    That's correct. My ramjet been fine so far and I think I already fed it some ammo that's weaker than 115 AE. I'll be doing more testing.
    My PMMs, since I mentioned them here, weren't fully reliable on their first sessions but settled very shortly afterwards, with stock recoil assemblies.

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Sounds like it was unlocking prematurely but that's a wild ass guess, probably wrong entirely. Is that even possible without blowing up the gun?
    Yes, that's what I thought too. Soft enough to change locking/unlocking timing, not bad enough to cause out of battery problems.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    That's correct. My ramjet been fine so far and I think I already fed it some ammo that's weaker than 115 AE. I'll be doing more testing.
    My PMMs, since I mentioned them here, weren't fully reliable on their first sessions but settled very shortly afterwards, with stock recoil assemblies.

Yes, that's what I thought too. Soft enough to change locking/unlocking timing, not bad enough to cause out of battery problems.
    From the M&p is a staccato substitute thread - my own experiences confirm your suspicion

Sadly I’ve also found m&ps are more sensitive to recoil spring tension/barrel lock up than other guns.

The flattest m&p recoil wise is a 5” ported with an 11lb spring but it opens up the group to man size at 100 meters. That’s not so good. 13lb has been safe for me

@GJM

My question, sir, is how well the Radian tames recoil compared to the Mayhem?
    Both have similar plusses... Both add very little to the AOL, both are easily removed and don't require thread locker. And both are fairly expensive. So performance and reliability seem to be deciding factor between the two.

This afternoon, I pulled the comp off the Radian barrel, to test reliability. Same AE 115 ammo. It ran fine with the comp off. Put the comp back on, and had intermittent stoppages, similar to yesterday. After some shooting, and observing, I realized the stoppages occurred any time my support thumb touched the slide. My support thumb is on the ledge of the frame, just below the slide, but occasionally my thumb rides up some. That is a non issue on the Mayhem and stock barrels for me, suggesting the Radian, at least on this G5 19, is on the edge of function, using the OEM RSA.

It is hard for me to accurately compare the Radian to the Mayhem, as I have so many rounds with a Mayhem and am used to how it cycles. My initial gut feeling is that it does slightly more than the Mayhem, based on the shooting I did yesterday and today, plus the stoppages suggests to me the Radian is doing more.

My sense is, a lighter recoil spring will be necessary in case I brush against the slide. That leads to other issues, so given how well the Mayhem works, I am not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

My sense is, a lighter recoil spring will be necessary in case I brush against the slide. That leads to other issues, so given how well the Mayhem works, I am not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

Good follow up.

This somewhat mirrors my 2011 findings with the magic DVC-P/ Staccato XC. The 8lb recoil spring needed to keep the slide moving with the island comp barrel could be significantly retarded in motion when Thumbs touched it

User Tag List