Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Radian Weapons Afterburner / Ramjet - Glock 19 Barrel and Compensator

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Good shooting! I like that ACSS also. Do you have the big circle turned on? If so, thoughts?
    First thought is that on a black B8 trying to hit the X ring at 10 yards I ran into the same issue I had with the triangle DPP. It was just hard to judge and gauge when I was perfectly on target. Because the bottom of the triangle is below the bottom of the X ring. Whereas with a small dot reticle the bottom of the red streak is the bottom of the X.

So harder to judge finesse work with that reticle at intermediate distances.

At farther distances I can trigger to point of chevron but I’m slowing the recoil and need more visual confirmation anyway.

About a week ago, I thought maybe the large circle would work and be cool. At medium paces I though it was neat…

But then I ran it hard and fast and it failed me the way I thought it would…

It distracted me on presentation and caused hesitation and cost speed and accuracy. Usually I just “go trigger” on red when close. But can’t do that when the red can be a ranging circle.

So I haven’t had the big circle on for a few weeks and it’s a nope in the way I thought it would be. I gave it a chance though.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    First thought is that on a black B8 trying to hit the X ring at 10 yards I ran into the same issue I had with the triangle DPP. It was just hard to judge and gauge when I was perfectly on target. Because the bottom of the triangle is below the bottom of the X ring. Whereas with a small dot reticle the bottom of the red streak is the bottom of the X.

At farther distances I can trigger to point of chevron but I’m slowing the recoil and need more visual confirmation anyway.

About a week ago, I thought maybe the large circle would work and be cool. At medium paces I though it was neat…

It distracted me on presentation and caused hesitation and cost speed and accuracy. Usually I just “go trigger” on red when close. But can’t do that when the red can be a ranging circle.

So I haven’t had the big circle on for a few weeks and it’s a nope in the way I thought it would be. I gave it a chance though.
    I had a similar experience with the DPP Triangle reticle... I had it mounted on a CZ Scorpion and at 25 yds for instance it just seemed to slow me down. Instead of just shooting the dot I found myself trying to concentrate on making sure the tip of the triangle was on target, which also led to being "dot focused" instead of target focused, and it all turned into an aggravating mess.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

I found it interesting and surprising to learn in a Kyle Defoor class that he uses the circle only on his 507K.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    I found it interesting and surprising to learn in a Kyle Defoor class that he uses the circle only on his 507K.
    The circle on the ACSS is humongous and not for aiming purposes per se.

This is what it’s like:

Name:  86DB6ADF-BFE3-439F-9346-C167D4D32EF4.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  24.3 KB

It’s to help people find the dot. But if you have really good index you see the circle as you’re on the way to the dot… and it can cause confusion temporarily that you’re seeing your dot when you’re seeing the circle.

Because when you move very fast it’s not a dot, it’s a streak and at really fast speeds it’s hard to tell a dot streak from a partial circle streak. It makes my brain go “whaaaa?”

Back to the blaster...

At lunchtime today, went by a dept. which has a B/C silhouette at 50 yards. ~50 rounds of duty 147 jhp fired, standing unsupported. Pistol was a G45, 1st Gen Steiner MPS w/Radian assembly, stock rsa and light attached. I had no stoppages. A guest LE instructor wanted to try the setup. He fired about 5 rounds, and had a failure to feed w/the jhp. The range had a partial box of 115 ball. I loaded a mag with that, and went through the mag without an issue.
    I wrapped up the little session with the old "3-fifty-7" drill/test:1 shot of 147 jhp from ready in 3 seconds or less at steel silhouette@50 yards-7 consecutive hits to "pass". Passed.
    Consensus amongst personnel who tried it is "it's softer". Well, yes; but that means extra comp weight and bleed are taking some of the energy. I plan on doing more single handed shooting to see if I can induce a stoppage.
    I'd still carry with the caveat that duty ammo necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    I plan on doing more single handed shooting to see if I can induce a stoppage.
    I'd still carry with the caveat that duty ammo necessary.
    It’s really too bad that your department doesn’t allow spring modifications. Like for example there are reports that the new “duty” Springfield Prodigy is undersprung from the factory.

Just because it comes some way from the factory doesn’t mean that’s the best option.

If you’re going to allow the afterburner… and Radian offers an adjustable RSA as a factory part…

Could you see if they would sell you a LEO “combination package” that included afterburner + 15 pound spring assembly and ask your department to approve the two together?

250 rounds with a mix of Federal 115, 124 gr. Loads, and 100 Speer Gold Dot 124 +Ps, the Radian performed without issue. Shadow Systems MR920 with a stock 17 lb. RSA. I’ll probably try a 15 lb. spring in the interest of science.
    https://youtube.com/shorts/W8C83yH2RlI?feature=share

Quote Originally Posted by JTPHD View Post
    250 rounds with a mix of Federal 115, 124 gr. Loads, and 100 Speer Gold Dot 124 +Ps, the Radian performed without issue. Shadow Systems MR920 with a stock 17 lb. RSA. I’ll probably try a 15 lb. spring in the interest of science.
    https://youtube.com/shorts/W8C83yH2RlI?feature=share
    I am guessing the Shadow Systems MR920 slide *might* weigh a little less than a Glock OEM slide. How was the accuracy with the Radian comp ? Also, is the comp slightly touching the slide on the top when in battery ? Pistol comp manufactures can easily change the efficiency of a comp my an easy edit to it’s CNC machine program.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    I am guessing the Shadow Systems MR920 slide *might* weigh a little less than a Glock OEM slide. How was the accuracy with the Radian comp ? Also, is the comp slightly touching the slide on the top when in battery ? Pistol comp manufactures can easily change the efficiency of a comp my an easy edit to it’s CNC machine program.
    I’m not sure of any slide weights (I have the combat slide). I initially thought the slide was contacting the comp upon installation, but was mistaken- no apparent wear issues to the cerakote. Accuracy out to 25 yards is comparable to the OEM barrel with the loads tested. Overall, it appears promising.

30 days in for my Brownells backorder…
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List