Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lockdowns, Not the Pandemic, Created Havoc

Quote Originally Posted by Boom View Post
    It may be years before we fully realize the ramifications of the lockdown policies governments around the world have imposed on their citizens in response to covid-19, but evidence of the costs is starting to trickle in.

A recent study conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) surveyed thousands of high school students on the effects of the pandemic. “Since the beginning of the pandemic,” the study reports, “more than half of students found it more difficult to complete their schoolwork (66%) and experienced emotional abuse by a parent or other adult in their home (55%),” which correlated heavily with students who “experienced insecurity via parental job loss (29%), personal job loss (22%), and hunger (24%).”

A related CDC study, released the same day, examined the effects the pandemic has had on the mental health of high school students. It found that “during the 12 months before the survey, 44.2% experienced persistent feelings of sadness or hopelessness, 19.9% had seriously considered attempting suicide, and 9.0% had attempted suicide.”

https://mises.org/wire/lockdowns-not...-created-havoc

Is the generation coming up today really this broken???
    Just checked with my kid. He said "NO!" Guess we're good.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

this is my shocked face.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    The Swedish no-restriction approach had its costs.

Attachment 87183

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41599-022-01097-5

Reasonable tradeoff? I don’t know how to calculate that.
    That's pretty tenuous. There are a lot of factors in each of those countries, to include how data was gathered.
    Ignore Alien Orders

What we -- and I mostly mean by that, "the teacher's unions we let run education in this country" -- did to children during the pandemic was tragic; what we did to economically disadvantaged children was criminal; and what we did to developmentally challenged children was subhuman.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    We may well have been overprotective of children, who were best able to tolerate Covid, while at the same time too many adults were dying despite widely available and known protective measures.
    I'd argue that the school closures, remote learning, etc., etc. may have initially been done to protect children, but were prolonged unnecessarily in order to "protect" adults.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    Never missed a days work, never wore a mask, never got the jab, never missed a week of jujitsu with the same 20 or so guys. Just took vitamin D, zinc, and quercetin.

Out of curiosity I did get an antibody test that showed I have or had the antibodies.

All the guys in jujitsu got it at some point but it was no big deal. Same with our immediate family.

The covid response was an overblown hoax/scam.

The suppression of early treatment is criminal.

The manipulation of information is everywhere nowadays.

My families experience with Covid was rough. It hit me hard, scary hard. Though I think I was probably sicker with the swine flu, I just didn't know to be scared then.

All that said, you are 100% spot on.

A friend of ours (one of the sweetest, nicest people you’ll ever meet, with 4 kids of her own) is a 2nd grade teacher. Most of her, now 7-ish-year-old, students this year have basically never left their own homes. The stories she tells are unreal, and she’s ready to throw in the towel on teaching.

People worry about the damage done to the economy, freedoms, etc. I maintain that the damage done to kids that are now between about 5 and 10 (some of the most critical developmental years) is going to fuck us up way worse than anything else.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    A friend of ours (one of the sweetest, nicest people you’ll ever meet, with 4 kids of her own) is a 2nd grade teacher. Most of her, now 7-ish-year-old, students this year have basically never left their own homes. The stories she tells are unreal, and she’s ready to throw in the towel on teaching.

People worry about the damage done to the economy, freedoms, etc. I maintain that the damage done to kids that are now between about 5 and 10 (some of the most critical developmental years) is going to fuck us up way worse than anything else.

This. So much this.

If you wanted a “fundamental change” in a society, what better way than to basically destroy a generation to ensure your plan was demographically guaranteed?
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    This. So much this.

If you wanted a “fundamental change” in a society, what better way than to basically destroy a generation to ensure your plan was demographically guaranteed?

Conspiracy theorist! There is no agenda! Only measures to protect the greater good!

User Tag List