Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steiner MPS Issues

This is all very worrying, perhaps I have only been lucky with mine. Mine has gone for thousands of rounds without any zero shift or issues, I'm so happy with it that I was at least planning on buying more of them.

I don't think the Acro has been devoid of issues either, however, so I'm not fully dissuaded yet.

There will always be a certain rate of issues with these sorts of things- you need to keep a certain perspective on the actual rates when looking at any social media feedback where people tend to comment on issues but rarely mention success.

Exactly. With something as complex as an electronic sight(on a pistol slide), my thought is "it's not a question of if but when". I believe every manufacturer has had an issue at one point or another, much like guns themselves sometimes. We have occasional failures of irons, but we also had 150+ years of working with them. We've got about 15 to 20 years of work with the dots.
    "Batting .500" used to be exceptional in baseball, and that's what we've had w/2 MPS examples. One had a small part come loose internally-and was replaced. The other is still going on on an instructor gun. I don't know the exact round count, but it's thousands.
    Reliable contenders for domestic use from my observations seem to be: Aimpoint, Trijicon(RMR2s-the new ones don't have enough time yet, but they look good), Holosun(various models), Steiner and the C&H offerings(still relatively new, but our small sample size are running). I can't comment on others. I have run an MPS and not worried about it
    Folks, we practice stoppage clearing with the pistols(or should), why not practice "sight stops working" as well? I know competitors do, like "framing" the target, etc. @Erick Gelhaus has done work with this. I'd like to hear of others work...
    JMHO and YMMV...

I had a battery continuity issue crop up one plate into a Steel Challenge stage last month. I went 4 for 4 on the remaining plates (outer limits) well inside my par time because I instantly switched to the “framing” method Erick Gelhaus taught me at a Gunsite 499 in 2020. Having practiced it quite a bit, it was automatic for me. Only afterward did I remember that I have a well regulated set of irons on that pistol- Erick’s method maintains target focus.

It’s a legit method and needs to be more widely understood by anyone who carries a dot. I’ve only needed it once, ever, but even for a non critical issue like a steel match, it’s a huge confidence boost to know one can accomplish acceptable accuracy with it under time pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    ... Folks, we practice stoppage clearing with the pistols(or should), why not practice "sight stops working" as well? I know competitors do, like "framing" the target, etc. @Erick Gelhaus has done work with this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    I had a battery continuity issue crop up one plate into a Steel Challenge stage last month. I went 4 for 4 on the remaining plates (outer limits) well inside my par time because I instantly switched to the “framing” method Erick Gelhaus taught me at a Gunsite 499 in 2020. Having practiced it quite a bit, it was automatic for me. Only afterward did I remember that I have a well regulated set of irons on that pistol- Erick’s method maintains target focus.

It’s a legit method and needs to be more widely understood by anyone who carries a dot. I’ve only needed it once, ever, but even for a non critical issue like a steel match, it’s a huge confidence boost to know one can accomplish acceptable accuracy with it under time pressure.
    Gentlemen, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post

Can you elaborate on this method? Do you find that if you did not have BUIS this would be more than satisfactory to get good hits out to 10 yards?

User Tag List