Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about Uncle Mike's Beretta 92 grips (59501)

Tell me about Uncle Mike's Beretta 92 grips (59501)

Long story short: I got a broken 92FS on the cheap, I fixed it up, and now I'm trying to make the gun more functional on a budget. If this were a "working" gun, I could set it up like my LTT with good parts, but this is a silly project gun and doing it on the cheap is part of the fun.

Looking for used grips on eBay, I found a few listings for these Uncle Mike's rubber grips: https://www.ebay.com/itm/27303820766...8AAOSw05taZ5CM

A few listings claim that these were designed by Craig Spegel, like the old Uncle Mike's boot grips for J-frames. Are these similarly well-regarded? Are they thinner than stock grips? Grippier? Are they any kind of improvement at all?

I can't find anything online about them really.

I had a pair years ago that I modified to fit on a Taurus. They were slightly thinner than the Taurus wood grips, but not as rounded. They were pretty grippy due to the rubber construction. I wound up throwing them away when I traded the gun away.

I had a set for years, and in fact had a pair on my issue M9 back in the day (around 1990). They're excellent grips, and were designed by Craig Spegel. As I recall, they had a tendency to be a bit floppy at the tang area, but that really wasn't a big deal.

Another great grip, and an excellent value (and currently available) are the Ergo Extreme grips. I'd recommend them over the Uncle Mikes. They're currently priced at $16 pluds tax and shipping. They're about the same thickness as the OEM Beretta plastic grips, but far grippier.

https://www.ergogrips.net/shop/ergo-...pa_color=black

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post

Another great grip, and an excellent value (and currently available) are the Ergo Extreme grips. I'd recommend them over the Uncle Mikes. They're currently priced at $16 pluds tax and shipping. They're about the same thickness as the OEM Beretta plastic grips, but far grippier.

https://www.ergogrips.net/shop/ergo-...pa_color=black

Best, Jon
    I 2nd the ERGO grips. By far my favorite for inexpensive but good Beretta 92 grips.

The early ones weren't rigid enough to hold the trigger bar in place and could result in a dead trigger, as happened with my 92. I remember that they added a stiffened area to prevent this issue and the fix must have worked if JonInWa was using them on his issue pistol. That dead trigger still haunts me though and for that reason alone I'd vote for the Ergo's recommended above.

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    Long story short: I got a broken 92FS on the cheap, I fixed it up, and now I'm trying to make the gun more functional on a budget. If this were a "working" gun, I could set it up like my LTT with good parts, but this is a silly project gun and doing it on the cheap is part of the fun.

Looking for used grips on eBay, I found a few listings for these Uncle Mike's rubber grips: https://www.ebay.com/itm/27303820766...8AAOSw05taZ5CM

A few listings claim that these were designed by Craig Spegel, like the old Uncle Mike's boot grips for J-frames. Are these similarly well-regarded? Are they thinner than stock grips? Grippier? Are they any kind of improvement at all?

I can't find anything online about them really.
    That price isn't far from VZ or Lok grips on sale so I would just get those. I haven't regretted buying VZ or Lok grips but I have regretted buying cheaper grips because it is hard to resell them and I end up buying nicer ones anyways.

I have a pair you can have no charge. Send me an email to craigstuard at comcast dot net w/ your mailing address and I will send them. Put 'beretta grips' as the subject so I don't delete it.

Site Supporter
    I have used ergo grips successfully in both their OEM and textured applications as vcdgrips with no issues. I can say the same thing about Beretta OEM polymer grips as well.

Years ago, a local agency ran Berettas, IIRC the preferred rubber grips were by Hougue.

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/beret...d-rubber-nylon

Bottom Line-45 for the Uncle Mikes seems high for what they are when comparable in material can be had for 30ish and comparable in function can be had for 20 ish all day long.

ED to add: The PIF offer is an excellent one as is the recommendation re VZ grips. In the 1911 realm, they pay a widow's royalty which makes them a class act for that reason alone.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I would pass and just get some Lok or VZs in the texture and thickness you want or have VCD texture some for you. All are great choices. Their are Stoners plans other out there too that are great, just never used them.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I have used ergo grips successfully in both their OEM and textured applications as vcdgrips with no issues. I can say the same thing about Beretta OEM polymer grips as well.

Years ago, a local agency ran Berettas, IIRC the preferred rubber grips were by Hougue.

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/beret...d-rubber-nylon

Bottom Line-45 for the Uncle Mikes seems high for what they are when comparable in material can be had for 30ish and comparable in function can be had for 20 ish all day long.

ED to add: The PIF offer is an excellent one as is the recommendation re VZ grips. In the 1911 realm, they pay a widow's royalty which makes them a class act for that reason alone.

VCD, do you have access to any Beretta grips that are made out of the same material as your 1911 grips(which are excellent by the way)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I have a pair you can have no charge. Send me an email to craigstuard at comcast dot net w/ your mailing address and I will send them. Put 'beretta grips' as the subject so I don't delete it.
    Email sent. Thank you!

User Tag List