Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question for the PDP people

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    One of the guys in my office bought a PDP, and is quite enamored with it. So much so that he's selling all his other pistols and consolidating on the PDP design for everything. Now....keep in mind this is a pattern, and the "gun of the year" thing is very real with him. Several of us have gotten good deals on 320s, M&P 2.0s, HKs, etc.....as the fickle fondness fades. That said, I did play around with it a bit. Trigger is super nice....maybe too nice in fact
    Grip texture is good, modularity for different hand sizes is good.

All of it is a moot point for us. After 3+ years of testing and evaluating different guns, lights and holsters, and getting a large purchase order approved by my agency's Fiscal Division, we hit a brick wall. All POs over $10,000 go to the independent Office of Contract Administration for competitive bid and legal compliance. They just told us "Hey....you can't just pick your favorite gun. You have to solicit bids from the manufacturers, get samples, run tests....". When it was pointed out we ran evaluations for the last 3 years, and that by city law we CAN'T sicit bids from the manufacturers, and they still said no....it became apparent that we aren't getting guns. Our choices are in the hands of a very "woke" young workforce at this agency who literally, when a uniformed officer enters their building, stand up with hands over their head and say "Hands up! Don't shoot!"

So we'll either end up with HI Points at some point, or we're going to Personally owned weapons. Then its a question of how broad should your roster be. Armorer support is a real thing.....
    If you are in California I feel for you. A couple of very close friends are officers that way

I don't think much internally has changed in the PDP vs the PPQ. Barrels, magazines, triggers I think are all the same.

If this is true (and if I am wrong on this someone please correct me) then whatever has been said about the PPQ would hold true for the PDP.

The PDP has a different slide designed from the ground up to be a red dot platform and it takes a Glock iron sights which makes it easier to find sights for it. Other than that and the texture on the frame it's basically a PPQ. I liked the PPQ though so I don't see any problems with it at all. It is a bit top heavy feeling compared to a CZ or a Glock but nothing that ever bothered me. I had a PPQ I ran 1500 through in a USPSA season with zero issues.

That said if you're getting one get the 2.0 mounting system. The first gen was just a flat cut on the slide and the plate was held onto the gun with nothing more than screws. Walther said there was nothing wrong with it but still they updated it anyway to something that seems a bit more robust.

https://waltherarms.com/2021/03/15/w...ting-system-2/

If we accept what they literally say, then the reason for the redesign is “to accept longer optics”.

OK, I will give them benefit of the doubt. (Bold added to quote below)

In addition to the new optic longer channel, this new Walther PDP Optic Plate Mounting System (2.0) features a lug design as well as the mounting screws identical to the original version. This new design is not the result of any failure or inadequacy on the part of the first generation of optic mounting system. The original optic plate mounting system has been thoroughly and rigorously tested and has resulted in zero failures.
    Zero failures? That would be quite remarkable if true.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    If we accept what they literally say, then the reason for the redesign is “to accept longer optics”.

OK, I will give them benefit of the doubt. (Bold added to quote below)

Zero failures? That would be quite remarkable if true.
    Of course they redesigned it to accept longer optics, as everyone uses a Romeo 3 Max on their defense gun.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I am a big fan of the PDP and in the beginning was a bit skeptical, but all my qualms were unfounded. I currently have 4 PDP’s (3 full size 4”, 4.5”, 5” and a 4” Compact). Two guns have 509t’s with CHPWS Plates and 1 508t and 1 RMR06 Type 2 both on Factory Walther Plates. Lowest Round count 1200 rounds (Compact with RMR) Highest round count 3900 rounds (4.5 Fullsize with 509t). None of the optics have loosened or shifted and the triggers once settled in have remained the same after 1000 rounds or so and sone dry fire. Haven’t had any reliability issues even with lighter reloads, although some of the lighter stuff does impact the front of the optic/lense.

Comment and a question.
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    are in the hands of a very "woke" young workforce at this agency who literally, when a uniformed officer enters their building, stand up with hands over their head and say "Hands up! Don't shoot!"
    Comment: No offense to you, but that is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have read this year, I realize its only April, but.....

So we'll either end up with HI Points at some point, or we're going to Personally owned weapons. Then its a question of how broad should your roster be. Armorer support is a real thing.....
    Question: If you go to POW's, and an officers weapon gets tied up in evidence, who is on the hook for providing him a duty weapon when he returns to work?
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

User Tag List