Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do we like the Law Tactical stock hinge?

Site Supporter
    The law folder itself is durable and reliable. There’s a reason it has an NSN and is in use with at least a couple federal LE agencies.

However, there are a few potential issues some of which have already been addressed such as weight, complexity and the inability to fire more than one shot folded.

Another issue I’ve experienced is you need to account for the additional weight the plug for the back of the bolt carrier adds to the BCG.

I’ve run two guns with the law set up, an 11.5 inch pistol built and tuned by Sons Of Liberty Gun Works to work with the law folder and a 16” Colt 6920 with a carbine gas system. Both worked fine but both might be considered to be slightly over gassed.

I recently built a 10.5 inch upper using an expo/bloodline barrel. Carbine gas with a pin gauge verified Crane spec .070 gas port.

Suffice to say the 10.5) runs on every pistol an SBR lower I’ve tried it on except those with law folders. When doing the single shot lockback test, with this upper on law folder equipped lowers it consistently fails to lock back and exhibit other signs of being under-gassed which it does not exhibit with standard lowers.

The lowers I tried used buffers ranging in weight from H to H2. When I get some time I may try it with a lighter carbon buffer but for now that particular upper is a no -go with the LAW.

YMMV.

Do we like the Law Tactical stock hinge?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    I have one specifically for a "backpack" AR. It gets the job done and hasn't given me any issues in about a year. Also, they LAW folder is NSN'd, and I believe is used "for real".
    Having said, I have no plans of getting any more since I got that niche filled.
    They’re absolutely used within USASOC.

I had one on my gun for like five minutes. Can see the value and no issues on quality but just didn’t feel like something I’d use enough to justify the weight and while I have lots of lowers, none that are built out just the way I like but not attached to an upper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one that I put on my SBR for a class. Ultimately, I figured running the gun out of a bag wasn’t my reality, and I pulled it off due to the weight and shift in balance. I’ve considered mounting it on another rifle to make it more “packable”, but the weight was a real turn off. As far as fit and function, no complaints whatsoever. This was with a 10.5” SBR with a carbine length gas system and H2 buffer.

Only problem as cited many times is weight. I have two on two different registered SBR's and have run at least 1500 rounds between them with no issues, mine are staying on those for the intended use of making them backpack, gym duffel or briefcase sized when appropriate.

I don't know if mine was out of spec, or it's just the nature of the beast, but upon install mine started battering the buffer against the buffer detent, which that lower never did previously. I suspect the folder had the buffer detent hole slightly aft of where it's supposed to be. Ultimately removed it more due to weight/length, but I suspect it would ave eventually sheared the buffer detent with enough round count.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Part of the LAW folder does extend a bit, from the rear of the receiver, when the stock/brace portion is folded. It is not Rattler-brace/stock short. Keep this in mind, when calculating such things as case/bag/backpack storage dimensions. Don’t forget that the whole weapon is about doubled in width, when the LAW is folded; this is not going to fit in some narrow cases.

Others have mentioned the weight, and the one-shot limitation, when folded.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Hey Rick R, send me a PM. My Law folder has been sitting in a box for forever, I don't think I'll use it anytime soon. I even have the JP SCS upgrade bits that go with it.

Deadfoot Arms makes a side folder for an AR. You have to use a modified bolt, but it allows you to fire more than one shot from a folded gun.

Site Supporter
    I have LAW folders on several AR pistols.
    Solid lock-up, and I don’t mind the weight or increase in LOP.

But do bear in mind that the BCG extension that’s part of the system weighs about 2 oz. That’s about the difference between a carbine buffer weight and an H2 or H3. So unless the gun starts out as overgassed, it might wind up as undergassed, potentially causing cycling issues or failure to lock back on an empty mag. On a suppressed gun, probably not really an issue.

That said, it wasn’t an issue on a Geissele pistol, aside from the occasional failure to lock back on an empty mag with lower-powered .223 ammo unsuppressed. On 300 BLK guns, it just required some tuning with Springco buffer springs and adjustable buffer weights.

Generally, I’m a fan, given the gained ability to have the guns available in a backpack in environments where they wouldn’t otherwise be in play.

Disclaimer- I’m FAR from an AR SME (more the opposite). But trying to share my limited experience.

I took mine back off, after using it for years. I had it work loose a couple of times, and it adds a lot of weight. The bolt extension weighed too much for my subsonic loads so I got an aluminum one from KAK, which helped a lot.

User Tag List