Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bougie Coffee Thread

It's Folgers Black Silk and Mr. Coffee for me.

Black. No sugar. No cream.

I have been known to add a little whiskey now and then though.

I’m really digging a local coffee joint, Cuppi Coffee, and their pour over offerings, esp the Congo Mapendo blend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    I’m really digging a local coffee joint, Cuppi Coffee, and their pour over offerings, esp the Congo Mapendo blend.
    I really love the idea of a local coffee place, where I know the people, they know me, I stop in frequently to get something new, etc.

The reliance on driving everywhere in SE Florida kind of kills that since if it's not along your direct route you can wind up adding 20 minutes to your commute.

When we travel one of my favorite things to do is stay in an airbnb in an urbanish area and I will literally google map the area to find bakeries and coffee spots and pick my airbnb based on those proximities.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    We have a Black Rifle Coffee monthly subscription. I'm not a big coffee drinker (Mrs RD62 is) but when I do this is what it is.

We get medium roast and they send different varieties each month. Whole bean, ground to brew in a drip brewer a couple of cups at a time. I drink mine black and medium temp. My wife adds a bit of heavy cream to hers and drinks it at magma temp levels.

My daughter is a Starbucks barista and I can't drink it. It's burnt and acidic tasting and very noticeable versus the BRC.

Coffee is pretty much the foundation of my morning, so I'm somewhat particular about it.

I buy fresh roasted beans from my neighborhood shop, single-dose grind in a Eureka Mignon grinder and press through a Cafelat Robot. Usually drink either espressos or tall blacks, depending on the mood.

Site Supporter
    I may have gone too deep down this rabbit hole. Next is a Lelit Bianca - girlfriend remains unconvinced.

Name:  61B2AE66-71C5-4D86-8BC8-405E1C6394A4.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  67.5 KB

I love the V60 for 2 cups, which is my usual morning routine except when both of us work from home and the Moccamaster earns it’s keep. For one cup, I use an Aeropress or a Kalitta.

I find the Robot to be extremely sensitive to grind size. Minor variations yield “God Shots” and unpalatable swill. I’m done with the rotating coffee life I’ve lived for the last year and intend to settle on my favorite mail order and my favorite local place, so hope I can get some grinds dialed in and pull more shots.

The Niche is worth every penny - it sent my DF60 to office duty.
    Last edited by RancidSumo; 04-08-2022 at 12:22 AM.

I started with a Hario V60. I stopped using it ever since I got a Bialeti Moka pot. I have a simple one cup model as well that I use when out hiking/hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I should be a lot deeper into it than I am.

When I was married, my father-in-law owned a small coffee farm in Kona, Hawaii, so I heard years worth of coffee-farm talk over dinner and I drank a lot of ultra-fresh Kona coffee. I also used to be a marketing writer on the web team at Starbucks headquarters in Seattle. Among other things, I wrote their original website for the Clover Coffee sub-brand, then wrote the tasting notes for the single-source beans as they came to market.

Starbucks has weekly tastings for employees. They're as detailed as wine tastings in terms of how they break down the flavors, notes, pairings, etc. To me, the pairings are the most interesting part of it. It's common to drink coffee with pastry but I find that heavy sweetness blocks the best parts of the coffee flavors. Fruit and cheeses are game-changers. Coffee also pairs very well with roast pork, and the right cup can completely transform a ham-and-cheese sandwich.

These days, I buy Starbucks Italian Roast whole beans, which I grind just before brewing in a French press. I prefer it black and closer to warm than to hot.

Okie John
    Why does their brewed coffee taste like incinerated dogshit? They don't use the fancy beans they sell? They don't care because their customers put so much other stuff in it that they don't know it's coffee? Inquiring minds want to know.

I'm still drinking cold brew made from Mexican coffee. I used to dilute it at least 50/50 with water, but I've progressed to crackhead level of addiction and drink the brew straight up.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    I may have gone too deep down this rabbit hole. Next is a Lelit Bianca - girlfriend remains unconvinced.

Name:  61B2AE66-71C5-4D86-8BC8-405E1C6394A4.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  67.5 KB

I love the V60 for 2 cups, which is my usual morning routine except when both of us work from home and the Moccamaster earns it’s keep. For one cup, I use an Aeropress or a Kalitta.

I find the Robot to be extremely sensitive to grind size. Minor variations yield “God Shots” and unpalatable swill. I’m done with the rotating coffee life I’ve lived for the last year and intend to settle on my favorite mail order and my favorite local place, so hope I can get some grinds dialed in and pull more shots.

The Niche is worth every penny - it sent my DF60 to office duty.
    I just pulled the trigger on a lelit Victoria and sette 270. I really wanted the niche but my wife started giving me crazy eyes when she saw the price. I give it about a week before she complains about the noise level from the sette, then I’ll get her to sign off on the niche.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    My daughter is a Starbucks barista and I can't drink it. It's burnt and acidic tasting and very noticeable versus the BRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Why does their brewed coffee taste like incinerated dogshit? They don't use the fancy beans they sell? They don't care because their customers put so much other stuff in it that they don't know it's coffee? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Truth! Don't get me wrong, I love Starbucks, but my usual order there is a flat white (or something ridiculously girly during the holiday season). I find their regular coffee to be pretty terrible compared to the stuff I can brew at home, and if I want cheap store-bought coffee, I actually prefer Dunkin's original blend with a splash of cream over Starbucks.

User Tag List