Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Water leakage from a windowsill screw

Water leakage from a windowsill screw

I have a new construction home (still under warranty). During Ian I noticed that there was water on a windowsill in a spare bedroom. Upon closer inspection, I noticed there was water dripping from a screw at the top of the window frame. The drywall next to the window was fairly wet. Luckily, I had some caulk and was able to caulk around the screw, preventing further water damage. The builder is sending their "punch out" guy to take a look/fix.

This is a stucco house in FL.

How can I make sure it's fixed correctly? Any post fix tests I can do?

Can there be potential damage to the drywall?
    Water entry:

Drywall:

Blast radius:

You likely have a flashing problem around the window. That screw where you are seeing the water enter is not supposed to be a watertight seal, there should be no water behind the screw.

Water can be very sneaky. It could be getting in somewhere above & remote from the window and the path of least resistance took the water to your window’s rough opening. Then it found its way through the screw opening. What’s above the window?

Here is the photo from the outside of the house. I can get better ones tomorrow.

I've spent nearly countless hours doing window spray testing, in a lab and on sites. It's almost always the installation, not the window. If there's water getting into the wall cavity to the top of the frame, it's definitely a flashing issue and all the caulk in the world won't fix it. There's a drain system along the back of the stucco, water resistant house wrap, and flashing (typically Tyvek tape these days) all to make sure water doesn't get into the framed wall. Chasing leaks can be endlessly frustrating. I used to use an infrared camera because, depending on weather conditions, the wet area will be either warmer or cooler than the surrounding dry building materials. My bet is stucco is going to need to come off to get it squared away.

Edited to add: window frames can actually deform under hurricane force winds (most likely will) letting water in, but it's usually in the middle of the window and wouldn't let water anywhere at the top of the frame.

How close to the path of the storm we’re you? What were the max sustained winds and gusts in your area?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCutter View Post
    I've spent nearly countless hours doing window spray testing, in a lab and on sites. It's almost always the installation, not the window. If there's water getting into the wall cavity to the top of the frame, it's definitely a flashing issue and all the caulk in the world won't fix it. There's a drain system along the back of the stucco, water resistant house wrap, and flashing (typically Tyvek tape these days) all to make sure water doesn't get into the framed wall. Chasing leaks can be endlessly frustrating. I used to use an infrared camera because, depending on weather conditions, the wet area will be either warmer or cooler than the surrounding dry building materials. My bet is stucco is going to need to come off to get it squared away.

Edited to add: window frames can actually deform under hurricane force winds (most likely will) letting water in, but it's usually in the middle of the window and wouldn't let water anywhere at the top of the frame.
    ^ this.

I have more experience with doors than windows, but it is almost always installation, especially if it is coming through a header. Water coming in at the bottom can be the drain system being overwhelmed but top of a unit is almost always installation or a leak somewhere above the unit.

In my personal house, I had a similar leak and it was coming from a bad nail through a shingle over an eave that was draining behind the Tyvek and pooling on top of the frame of the window and dripping through the interior casing in my case. I found it by going into the attic above the window and pulled up the insulation between the rafters and found the wet/black on the roof decking. It had apparently been happening for a while and only came through the window when we had a very strong >60 MPH north wind.

I would start at the highest point above the window you can get to and work your way down until you can find the leak.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    How close to the path of the storm we’re you? What were the max sustained winds and gusts in your area?
    I was about 15-20 miles north of the main track (by Lake Parrish). I estimate 50 mph winds, with gusts up to 75 mph.

I had this same issue. Turned out to be the flushing on the second floor roof. Took the guy 30 seconds to fix

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Not that it will be of any consolation...one morning I noticed some water on the sill of one of our windows...and I couldn't for the life of me account for where it was coming from...but it did follow in the wake of a rainy and windy storm a day or two earlier.

It's been years and it's never returned and no sign of any issues around the walls, windows, floor etc.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    I was about 15-20 miles north of the main track (by Lake Parrish). I estimate 50 mph winds, with gusts up to 75 mph.
    that shouldn't really be enough to cause issues then. What I was interested in was a potential outlier event that wouldn't be of long-term concern, and you could wind up making yourself crazy trying to track down. Pressure on the window itself could cause it to move in the rough opening to allow water in just that one time. We get this in our high rises sometimes.

I agree with the others that the windows and doors themselves rarely fail.

FWIW I wouldn't caulk that screw head. IMO sealing the outflow is (1) a fool's errand as it will just go somewhere else and (2) the water coming out of the screw head can serve as an indicator of future problems. What you *do* want to seal up is wherever the water is coming *in*.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List