Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bougie Coffee Thread

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    ....it's still Folgers in a standard $30 drip mr.coffe every morning.
    I do folger's regular medium. I think my drip machine is a black and decker. I drink it black. No sugar, no milk, no anything.

I've had a ton of fancy coffee, and been told a million times I just haven't had good coffee yet. I promise I have. I just honestly like the plain folgers better. I've been drinking it a long time, heck my grandfather drank the stuff, my grandma still does. Also black. It's more then coffee, it's comfortable and reliable. It's a cup of home.

ASH556:

I am a big fan of Liquid Planet Signature Blend Organic Coffee. Here is a link: "https://liquidplanet.com/collections/all/products/liquid-planet-blend-coffee?variant=20575170854966". Their decaffeinated blend is surprisingly good as well. The only downside is they are located in occupied territory in deepest, darkest liberal Missoula. The good news is that they ship and orders over $50 ship for free. I use either a drip coffee maker when I am in a hurry or a French press. I run a Sboly grinder. Hope that helps.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

For the past several weeks, I start my day at work with a Bodum French press that I keep at work. As a colleague says, it’s the small rituals that keep us sane. I buy dark roast whole bean coffee from Black Rifle Coffee and grind it in a Bodum burr coffee grinder. I should probably try pour over, since we generally rely on a Keurig at home.

Site Supporter
    Since I gave up alcohol, coffee has been the thing I focused on “tasting” and going down rabbit holes on.

To that end, I figured out I am a person who likes to use the methods that include weighing their coffee and water, and timing things. I started with timing when I got my first AeroPress and graduated to weighing shortly there after. I experimented with different grind sizes and water to coffee ratios until I figured out what tasted best to me and SWMBO. The longer it has gone on, brewing coffee became more of a Zen-like experience for me, much like others on here have described saving with a safety or straight razor. It is one of the rare times where I tune out whatever else is happening in the world/around me and focus simply on the task at hand.

My almost daily driver is pour over, through a Hario V60 metal coffee dripper with paper filters. When I want a treat or want to experiment with espresso-like coffee, I use an Aero-Press with the Fellows Prismo Filter and Cap. I have not tried a Chemex, because I don’t know/understand what it would do for me that the V60 doesn’t.

My wife and I spent the majority of our early coffee adventures in the southwest, so we prefer to drink Iced Coffee. The best iced coffee method that I found was actually through Alton Brown, where he describes the Japanese Iced Coffee method where you brew half the weight of your water directly over the remaining weight of ice. On his website now, he refers to it as Hot Start Cold Brew.

As far as types of coffee go, I am blessed/cursed to live in a place with a bunch of local roasters who make really good stuff. Rather than focusing on a specific roaster, I would focus on a specific region and figure out which coffees you like. I have figured out that I am partial to Guatemalan and Peruvian coffees with the odd Columbian or Brazilian coffee thrown in.

It’s super easy to get Bougie about your coffee once you start brewing quality coffee at home, but don’t automatically discount some of the less expensive coffees out there. If you live near the discount chain of grocery stores named Winco, their store brand bulk coffee is really, really good for the money. They have single-origin stuff that is unbeatable for the money (I think like 6.99/lb).

The thing I have not done, and the wife refuses to let me do, is roast my own coffee. I have a number of coworkers who do it with simple at home methods, but I don’t think its for me. Actually, that’s not exactly true. I would probably start roasting my own and it would be a short trip from there to me starting my own roastery.

The other thing that is tricky is once people figure out you are into coffee it makes for easy gifts for them. Consequently, I still have bags of coffee I haven’t made it through that I got for Christmas.

If you have any questions I am happy to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I do folger's regular medium. I think my drip machine is a black and decker. I drink it black. No sugar, no milk, no anything.

I've had a ton of fancy coffee, and been told a million times I just haven't had good coffee yet. I promise I have. I just honestly like the plain folgers better. I've been drinking it a long time, heck my grandfather drank the stuff, my grandma still does. Also black. It's more then coffee, it's comfortable and reliable. It's a cup of home.
    I drink my coffee black as well, my wife loads it up with cream and sugar. I always joke with her I'm the only one who actually enjoys the taste of coffee...she just likes the taste of the cream and sugar . Something about "shitty" coffee is just comforting like a warm blanket.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Perhaps not bougie, but I’ve come to enjoy chicory coffee the most and typically use a plain old drip coffee pot. The French Market brand Publix sell seems to be more affordable than Cafe du Monde and tastes just as good. I know Community offers chicory as well, but I don’t normally see it in the Carolinas.

Quote Originally Posted by 60pilot View Post
    Perhaps not bougie, but I’ve come to enjoy chicory coffee the most and typically use a plain old drip coffee pot. The French Market brand Publix sell seems to be more affordable than Cafe du Monde and tastes just as good. I know Community offers chicory as well, but I don’t normally see it in the Carolinas.
    It may be frowned on by other coffee enthusiasts, but I do love chicory coffee. My dad drinks only Cafe du Monde and has forever, and that’s what I started on and stuck with for a while (my introduction to coffee, very, very young, was a thermos of half du Monde and half hot chocolate to help me cope with being up at 4am for a duck hunt).

I still like it even if my wife hates it.

I should be a lot deeper into it than I am.

When I was married, my father-in-law owned a small coffee farm in Kona, Hawaii, so I heard years worth of coffee-farm talk over dinner and I drank a lot of ultra-fresh Kona coffee. I also used to be a marketing writer on the web team at Starbucks headquarters in Seattle. Among other things, I wrote their original website for the Clover Coffee sub-brand, then wrote the tasting notes for the single-source beans as they came to market.

Starbucks has weekly tastings for employees. They're as detailed as wine tastings in terms of how they break down the flavors, notes, pairings, etc. To me, the pairings are the most interesting part of it. It's common to drink coffee with pastry but I find that heavy sweetness blocks the best parts of the coffee flavors. Fruit and cheeses are game-changers. Coffee also pairs very well with roast pork, and the right cup can completely transform a ham-and-cheese sandwich.

These days, I buy Starbucks Italian Roast whole beans, which I grind just before brewing in a French press. I prefer it black and closer to warm than to hot.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Hario V60 pour over cone. Chicom thermostatic electric kettle. Very old KitchenAid burr grinder with scale hopper.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    It may be frowned on by other coffee enthusiasts, but I do love chicory coffee. My dad drinks only Cafe du Monde and has forever, and that’s what I started on and stuck with for a while (my introduction to coffee, very, very young, was a thermos of half du Monde and half hot chocolate to help me cope with being up at 4am for a duck hunt).

I still like it even if my wife hates it.
    I have cans of Cafe Du Monde and Cafe Bustelo in my pantry for if/when I run out of beans to grind. I like them both. I’ve been buying coffee from Summer Moon in Texas after @RevolverRob turned me onto them. I’ve got their 20th Anniversary blend in my cup as I type.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List