Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bougie Coffee Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I was doing end-of-year budgeting and taxes one year and realized my wife had spent $4500 at Peets that year; quick math and I realized even a nice espresso machine would pay for itself in 12-18 months....
    Yeah, I’m up well over 3 Grover Cleveland bills, and that’s with the “industry” discount (since I’m professionally linked to most places that I frequent regularly). Great espresso is really my only vice. That and maybe a craft cocktail or brew to take the caffeine edge off at day’s end.

It occurs to me that I could quit coffee for a year and buy a nighthawk 1911 or a Korth or some shit like that.

Nah….
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Well--for those of you who truly care, after trying many other options, the LaMarzocco Linea Mini proves to be bombproof and produces perfect espresso, shot after shot, year after year. Well worth the investment--we now have one at home and another at work. Likewise, the Macap M7D grinder offers a perfect compromise of utility, ease of use, and superb results. We use the quite nice, but smaller Macap M42D for decaf.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I've got a range of pour over and immersion methods, but usually use an Espropress with beans ground on a Baratza Virtuo Preciso and on the weekends or WFH days espresso/lattes with a Breville 870XL. The Breville is probably the best bang for the buck before spending real money on a machine and grinder.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

The Bougie Coffee Thread

The burrs on our old KitchenAid grinder wore out and are now unobtainable.

I’ve got high hopes for its replacement: a Baratza Encore. Report pending…

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

I've had a Virtuoso for about 10 years. Been very happy with it. It's been thru a few parts and I've been super impressed with Baratza's spare parts service. Swapped out the motor when I moved here and regular things that wear or break with time. Their videos detailing how to do stuff are worth watching if/when you need to clean or replace something.

We’re very happy with our Encore for the price. Happy enough that we wouldn’t consider an upgrade to anything between it and a Niche, theory being that until you get up there nothing is really much of an upgrade.

*this is based on my wife’s expertise, not mine. She knows coffee like I know guns and vice versa. I learn things.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    We’re very happy with our Encore for the price. Happy enough that we wouldn’t consider an upgrade to anything between it and a Niche, theory being that until you get up there nothing is really much of an upgrade.

*this is based on my wife’s expertise, not mine. She knows coffee like I know guns and vice versa. I learn things.
    That was my take as well. We don't do espresso, so no need for an espresso grinder. But, for pour over and French press it is important not to have a lot of random "fines" in the grind.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I try to take all of life seriously--including the fun stuff!
    I feel like this could be my motto for life as well!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

the real reason I came here...

Any advice on percolators?

I bought a percolator for camper coffee. So far, the wife has rejected this as too bulky/complicated so I have only used it once on the only camper trip I've taken alone. I encountered some issues specific to this percolator and my particular camper burner, but I'd like to experiment with the thing a bit more. I got some of these filters after (a) having a bit too much grains in my brew and (b) having to clean the godforsaken thing in the camper sink. Haven't had a chance to try them yet.

It appears that what most people have issue with is the imprecision that seems inherent to this method, and I'm not gonna lie this bugs me too. supposed to be able to tell "done" by the color of the liquid in the little glass knob... yeah I'm not all that "with it" at that hour and the lighting in the camper isn't really great for distinguishing subtle shades of brown.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

Outstanding grinder. I can’t believe it took this long for me to get one. The coffee was noticeably better, from a very uniform grind.

User Tag List