Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Best 80’s cop movie?

Site Supporter
    Upon reflection, I think the best cop movie of the 80s may well be 1989’s Dead -Bang with Don Johnson.

Very loosely based on a true story, Don Johnson plays the antithesis of Sonny Crockett investigating the murder of a police officer by a white supremacist. His character is a Homicide detective who is a divorced, broke, functional alcoholic who needs reading glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    Well, people already took probably all of the good ones, so I guess I'll throw some ridiculous ones on the list.

Black Rain
    Midnight Run
    No Man's Land (if you're a car geek, not much in the way of cop stuff through most of it though)
    A Better Tomorrow & The Killer (both for gratuitous action)
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit
    Stakeout
    Raw Deal
    Robocop, of course

There are far more to choose from in the 90s in my opinion, and a much greater number of decent ones.
    Totally forgot about midnight run!
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Though Die Hard has cops in it, it’s not really a “cop” movie.
    Fine. But it definitely IS a Christmas movie.

The best ones are already listed but Nighthawks was solid

Technically 1990, but King of New York is 1980s crack war vibe and maybe the best movie nobody saw

If we get into the 90s, beyond some of the obvious ones most will call out, L.A. Confidential is by far one the best. Very classic feel, great score, a bit of noir feel, great cast and acting. Hard to beat! I doubt we'll ever see one made like this again, to that degree of quality.

Name:  la-confidential.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  73.2 KB

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I've never seen it, but it's kind of funny. I had a dream, once, where I was facing down four bad guys with a K-frame. One guy said "there's four of us and you have only six shots." I shot him in the head and said "there's three of you and I have five shots." I don't remember where it went from that.

I loved Sharkey's Machine. Haven't seen it since. But definately Naked Gun.
    That is probably the coolest dream sequence of all time. You win the Astral Plane. Forever, 'cause...you know....time doesn't matter and all....

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    If we get into the 90s, beyond some of the obvious ones most will call out, L.A. Confidential is by far one the best. Very classic feel, great score, a bit of noir feel, great cast and acting. Hard to beat! I doubt we'll ever see one made like this again, to that degree of quality.

Name:  la-confidential.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  73.2 KB
    My all time favorite cop movie. I’m glad it was mentioned. So many great scenes.

Off the record, on the QT, and very hush hush.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    The best ones are already listed but Nighthawks was solid

Technically 1990, but King of New York is 1980s crack war vibe and maybe the best movie nobody saw

King of New York is a great movie (which I saw in the theater BTW) but it’s a Gangster Movie not a cop movie.

Name:  turner.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  56.8 KB

Not sure how this thread has gone this far without mentioning Turner & Hooch.
    Ordinary guy

Manhunter was good:

User Tag List