Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 80’s cop movie?

Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post

Above The Law.

No, wait...Sharky's Machine?

In the Seagal classic, Above the Law, my favorite scene and line.. at the 50- 55 second mark.. "Maybe you're right, but I'll get an A for effort"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyApjm70LL0

Johnny Walker

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    "Running Scared" with Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines was a fun buddy / cop movie from the 80's.
    One of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Coming from the Fed side, and having worked a state /local task force in CA:,

As much as I love To Live and Die in LA, the best “cop” movie of the 80s was Colors. Followed by Sharkey’s Machine.

While the plot of Sharkey’s Machine is dumb, the characters and their interaction are spot on. The things I like about Sharkey’s Machine are likely similar to what @blues likes about Running Scared. Some things I love about this movie: While Sharkey is your stereo typical 80s movie super cop, he needs all the other guys on his team to get things done. The other members of his machine all have various strengths and weaknesses. Some are tough, some are smart or have unique talents etc. But they come together as a whole to be more effective than the sum of their parts. For example one of the characters (Nosh) who is technically proficient has to help Sharky clear an apartment. He is competent but he talks about how he hates doing it because it’s scary and even when he was good at it he wasn’t good at it. Hence why he moved into a tech slot. Where as Papa (Brian Keith) and Arch (Bernie Casey) are old school tough cops. Charles Durning (one of my all time favorite character actors) is just awesome as the LT.

To Live and Die in LA is the best “Fed” Movie of all time. Not just the 80s.

ManHunter is also awesome, I recall being wowed by the scene where they receive a fax of the suspect’s driver’s license photo while in the air enroute to St. Louis. I think about that as my partners and and I routinely text photos of suspects out before operations.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-05-2022 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    My favorite from the 80s would be The Untouchables.

RoboCop, Colors and To Live and Die in LA would be next up for me.

Tons of good ones from the 80s though, Red Heat, Lethal Weapon, Police Academy, Naked Gun, etc. Depending on a persons' tastes I could easily see any of these becoming "the best" of the 80s.
    Damnit. Spot on with the Untouchables.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    No love for Beverley Hills Cop?
    Of course!

#RESIST

Site Supporter
    Double tap

"Colors" and "To Live and Die in L.A." are two of my favorites from the era.

(I have to throw in my favorite of recent years which is "End of Watch"...apologies for jumping time frames.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    "Running Scared" with Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines was a fun buddy / cop movie from the 80's.
    Definitely my favorite. I remember laughing so hard I was out of breath a couple of times at the movie theater.

I think another one that needs mention is "Alien Nation", with James Caan and the Freedom Arms Model 83 in 454 Casull.
    Ordinary guy

The Untouchables for sure.

Is Die Hard a cop movie or not? I know it's the best Christmas movie of all time.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    @LittleLebowski.....I think what we have definitively learned here, is that the '80s were the greatest decade for cop movies....ever.

User Tag List