Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock Gen 5 Magwells? Duty Oriented.

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    When the screw is too long it tends to push in on the back portion of the magwell wall on both the magwell itself and the gun. Too much of this pressure from the screw generally tends to bind the mags from dropping free as they're being somewhat squeezed on the back end. Grinding the screw down alleviates that.
    I have a different theory. The Gen 4 mag well opening is straight, unlike the Gen 5 which is flared. To get the Taran mag well on, even without a retaining screw, it pinches the mag well shape, and I believe that is what causes binding.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have a different theory. The Gen 4 mag well opening is straight, unlike the Gen 5 which is flared. To get the Taran mag well on, even without a retaining screw, it pinches the mag well shape, and I believe that is what causes binding.
    It's probably a little from column A and a little from column B. There are quite a few people doing Gen 5 magwells without any issue these days so I'm not entirely sure we can blame it solely on that.

Update:

I received my Taran Gen 5 magwell and installed it.

Zero complaints other than the fact that some of my mags had to be relegated to training duty as they would not drop free. Other's were absolutely slick as snot and dropped right out.

The mag would bind around the magazine catch cutouts on its way out of the magwell. Super weird.

My partner also got a Dawson Precision magwell. I like his alot but I think I like my Taran marginally better for one reason alone.

With one hand on the gun, I feel like the Dawson pushes my hand higher on the grip.

With two hands on the gun, I feel like my Taran locks my support pinky in better.

I have yet to try a Carver but that may be next as I'm curious about their tactical magwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    SLR Rifleworks makes a well executed Gen 5 magwell.
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I believe FBI SWAT is running the SLR Rifleworks magwell on their guns.
    I just got one. Gosh, it is humongous — both the inside opening dimension and how large it is on the pistol. Not sure I care for the bulk it adds at the bottom front of the grip.

What I really like is the Gen 4 Agency EDC magwell for the 19, what is the closest Gen 5 equivalent?

I just got one. Gosh, it is humongous — both the inside opening dimension and how large it is on the pistol. Not sure I care for the bulk it adds at the bottom front of the grip.

What I really like is the Gen 4 Agency EDC magwell for the 19, what is the closest Gen 5 equivalent?
    I’m not familiar with any Gen 5 magwells I would consider low profile. I see that Agency makes a magwell for Gen 5 guns. Have you taken a look at that one?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I’m not familiar with any Gen 5 magwells I would consider low profile. I see that Agency makes a magwell for Gen 5 guns. Have you taken a look at that one?
    Only on the website and the pictures aren’t great as none are of it on the pistol. It is listed as duty as opposed to EDC like the Gen 4, but I am not sure how the actual dimensions differ.

The overwatch precision magwell is pretty low profile imo

Site Supporter
    I believe FBI SWAT is running the SLR Rifleworks magwell on their guns.
    They are on the current 19M MOS.

The large lip @GJM mentioned was a factor in why they selected it.

They previously ran 1911s and then Glock 17 with minus connectors. My understanding was the magwell was a compromise in order to go with the G 19 instead of a 17 or 45 and still provide a gun with pinky support for those with larger hands. Test data indicated some people can switch back and forth between iron sight guns and RDS guns more easily than others. It was unclear when the rest of the bureau would be adopting or allowing RDS equipped guns and since SWAT is generally a collateral duty, they didn’t want those agents switching back and forth between RDS pistols for SWAT stuff and irons only pistols for plainclothes duties.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-08-2022 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    They are on the current 19M MOS.

The large lip @GJM mentioned was a factor in why they selected it.

They previously ran 1911s and then Glock 17 with minus connectors. My understanding was the magwell was a compromise in order to go with the G 19 instead of a 17 or 45 and still provide a gun with pinky support for those with larger hands. Test data indicated some people can switch back and forth between iron sight guns and RDS guns more easily than others. It was unclear when the rest of the bureau would be adopting or allowing RDS equipped guns and since SWAT is generally a collateral duty, they didn’t want those agents switching back and forth between RDS pistols for SWAT stuff and irons only pistols for plainclothes duties.
    Since I retired that firearms program has become increasingly divorced from reality.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKuduKing View Post
    Since I retired that firearms program has become increasingly divorced from reality.
    I was skeptical about the eye thing as I had no issues switching back and forth before we approved dots.

I’ve re-assessed since running RDS transitions for a few hundred of our folks and seeing some interesting eye issues.

User Tag List