Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock Gen 5 Magwells? Duty Oriented.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKuduKing View Post
    Since I retired that firearms program has become increasingly divorced from reality.
    What about not wanting agents switching back and forth between optics and irons is divorced from reality?

I guess what I am not tracking is why anyone would have to switch back and forth between RDS and irons. I would think you can buy a G17 MOS and G19 MOS and optics for each for less than the price of a Springfield Professional.

Edit: As I am re-reading it sounds like an agent who is otherwise authorized in policy to carry a RDS gun while doing SWAT stuff would not be authorized to carry an RDS gun while doing plainclothes work? Sounds crazy to me but I guess I have heard from people that the FBI is strict on what is and isn't allowed in terms of duty guns and duty gun modifications.

If I was running things, there would be a separate pistol qual for iron sights and a red dot.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    I guess what I am not tracking is why anyone would have to switch back and forth between RDS and irons. I would think you can buy a G17 MOS and G19 MOS and optics for each for less than the price of a Springfield Professional.

Edit: As I am re-reading it sounds like an agent who is otherwise authorized in policy to carry a RDS gun while doing SWAT stuff would not be authorized to carry an RDS gun while doing plainclothes work? Sounds crazy to me but I guess I have heard from people that the FBI is strict on what is and isn't allowed in terms of duty guns and duty gun modifications.
    SWAT has always had multiple pistols as far as I know, i.e. Glock 22 and Springfield Pro, Glock 17 and 19M, etc. The G45 was heavily favored in the testing process for the new “program gun” (SWAT pistol). Logistically, it was easier to stick with the 19M MOS. They didn’t go with the G45 because they SWAT agents carrying their dot gun all the time, and the 19 is easier to conceal. Guys would bitch about the 17/45 being too big and would probably end up carrying their regular issued 19M instead.

I don’t believe SWAT guys have ever had two program pistols issued. HRT, on the other hand….
    Last edited by TC215; 05-10-2022 at 08:01 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post

The FBI uses the Henry Ford approach to duty weapons (you can have a car in what ever color you want, as long as that color is black..). So yes, quite strict. Grip tape, Grip sleeves and Vickers magazine base plates. That's it.

Right now RDS are limited to SWAT and Firearms instructors and part of gradually phasing in RDS. With 13,000 gun carriers scaling issues are real and you don't "YOLO" life or death gear.

FBI SWAT dropped SA Pro's several years ago for G17's with minus connectors. The only Pro's still in use are previously approved / grandfathered personally owned guns which can be carried for non SWAT use. Those G17's are now being replaced with G19M MOS with RMRs.

SWAT Agents can use their SWAT gear (armor, carbines etc) for non SWAT duties. Eye variance aside, issues are: those duties are in plainclothes, some of those duties require actual concealment rather than "cop concealment), and even if you are a big dude the G17 conceals about as well as a box of Wheaties due to it's shape.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If I was running things, there would be a separate pistol qual for iron sights and a red dot.
    That doesn't address the issue of some people having trouble switching back and forth between the two.

I’m running this on my duty G19.5 MOS. CHPWS Speed Feed polymer. They make brass ones, I believe, if you want more weight.

Name:  F20723BF-DE5F-4619-9A5A-EAF479AE3D12.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  27.8 KB
    Name:  5BC3D253-A35B-43CC-8377-118B24A77ED0.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  23.4 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    That doesn't address the issue of some people having trouble switching back and forth between the two.
    This should be its own thread.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

That SLR magwell looks great. What magwell works best with OEM flush fit mags though? Also, does anyone know compatibility with Arredondo mags? I care more about the gen 3 and 4 frames.

I have two more magwells incoming.

I have the Dawson Ice and the Carver Tactical magwell.

When they arrive I will post some pictures comparing them to the Taran.

I also have Overwatch magazine wells for anyone that may be interested in seeing pictures of that compared to these.

User Tag List