Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Gen 5 Magwells? Duty Oriented.

Glock Gen 5 Magwells? Duty Oriented.

Hey guys,

For the past six years i've been using an ALG magwell on duty and I absolutely adore the thing. It has prevented my gun from getting chewed up in the car and also during uses of control on pavement. I've never had to worry about my pistol getting dragged through the muck because the magwell seems to take the brunt of all of the abuse.

Fast forward to this month and I, along with my agency am finally transitioning to 9mm guns.

I am looking for a similar style magwell to the ALG for my Glock 17.5. I really like the high and pronounced lip on the ALG Magwell. I like the fact that it really locks my strong hand into the gun and provides a nice ledge for my support hand pinky which I apply counter pressure with. I am looking for a similar shape in a possible replacement magwell.

So far, this what i've found that may fit the bill:

Taran Tactical Competition magwell
    Carver Big Mouth or Tactical
    Dawson Precision

Did I miss anything? Anyone have any thoughts on the above? I'll get a pic of the crusty ass old duty gun here shortly

Thanks guys! Feel free to post pics for reference.
    Last edited by Magsz; 04-04-2022 at 02:13 PM.

The Edgar Sherman Design magwell is probably the best I’ve used so far. However my experience has been limited to the Zev and SLR and ESD in Gen 5 Glocks. I wish that ALG and Raven will eventually make Gen 5 magwells as they are my preference in Gen 3/4’s.

I have a Taran Gen 5, but the mags hang up dropping free. I believe, unlike the Gen 4 that work great, the Gen 5 mag opening shape may make mag wells hard to do.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I ran the ALG on duty, loved it for the same reasons. I went to the Dawson magwell, i have enjoyed it for the same reasons I liked the ALG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLR Rifleworks makes a well executed Gen 5 magwell.

I believe FBI SWAT is running the SLR Rifleworks magwell on their guns.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Although I haven't used it, based on appearance alone, the Carver open magwell looks pretty substantial like the ALG AFM.

Name:  www.carvercustom.com-100-205-17-32.jpg
Views: 3343
Size:  43.4 KB
    (not my picture)

While not the same style, I've particularly enjoyed my Overwatch Precision Magwell.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have a Taran Gen 5, but the mags hang up dropping free. I believe, unlike the Gen 4 that work great, the Gen 5 mag opening shape may make mag wells hard to do.
    Have you tried grinding down the set screw? I've had to grind down the screw for a few magwells where the mag wouldn't drop free. Don't have to remove much, maybe 2-3 threads but it definitely helps.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by dcf1981 View Post
    The Edgar Sherman Design magwell is probably the best I’ve used so far. However my experience has been limited to the Zev and SLR and ESD in Gen 5 Glocks. I wish that ALG and Raven will eventually make Gen 5 magwells as they are my preference in Gen 3/4’s.
    I don't care for the ESD magwell. It's a good product but it seems a tad excessive in its design. I'm not saying it cant happen but i've never had a mag so stuck in the gun that i've had to tear it out. I've had to strip mags out of of guns but not to the point where those cutouts would really be required. At least in my mind. Also, I feel like the points on the front for the cutout should have been radiused more. It's a good magwell, its just not my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have a Taran on the way to try. That's a bit of a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    While not the same style, I've particularly enjoyed my Overwatch Precision Magwell.

I have three of these. They're a very nice design but not quite as beefy as i'd like. I can see myself destroying one of these to the point where I may end up crushing the magwell resulting in a mag being unable to be removed.

Have you tried grinding down the set screw? I've had to grind down the screw for a few magwells where the mag wouldn't drop free. Don't have to remove much, maybe 2-3 threads but it definitely helps.
    Question. What would grinding down the screw do?

EDIT: I royally screwed up that multi quote attempt....

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Question. What would grinding down the screw do?
    When the screw is too long it tends to push in on the back portion of the magwell wall on both the magwell itself and the gun. Too much of this pressure from the screw generally tends to bind the mags from dropping free as they're being somewhat squeezed on the back end. Grinding the screw down alleviates that.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

User Tag List