Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightforce NX8 1-8 thoughts and experience in 2022

Nightforce NX8 1-8 thoughts and experience in 2022

Member @oregon45 asked me in another thread how I liked my Nightforce NX8 1-8. Rather than derail that thread, I figured I'd create a separate post about it. I did a search and it looked like the most recent discussion was a few years old and mostly hype from when it was first released. So, this is my attempt to provide some feedback on it.

This is actually the second NX8 1-8 I've had. I got the first one in October of 2018 a few months after they were released. I used that one a fair amount in various environments from flat range drills to hunting. I ended up selling it in May of 2019 as part of my overall withdrawal from pursuing shooting and guns at that time. Even so, I had considered moving away from it. There were things I didn't like about it, but in retrospect, most of those had to do with what I now deem to be unrealistic expectations of what that scope is good at.

1. It is not a replacement for a red dot outside of static range drills. This is my opinion and others may disagree. That's fine. For me, in static positions or even with one-dimensional movement, it does work like a red dot. Fairly flat image, nice bright illumination. However, in multi-dimensional movement and, more importantly, less than ideal shooting positions, it certainly suffers compared to a red dot. Frankly, in my experience, every LPVO including the renowned Vortex Razor 1-6 struggles here. It's just what happens when you have tubes and lenses like that.
    2. It is not a long range precision optic. Yes, it's FFP. Yes it has Mil stadia. However, the reticle design does not lend itself well to shooting groups or small things far away.

Initially this led me to dismissing the optic altogether as overpriced and a "worst of both worlds compromise." My line became, "If you have to add a red dot, why not put it on a real scope like a 2.5-10 or something with even more top end magnification?"

I've seen many others go down this path as well. On paper, the logic seems to make sense. If all you ever do is shoot from static positions, it will also seems to make sense.

So why did a buy another NX8 and how do I like it?

Short answer: I love it! I've been messing with AR's very heavily since 2002 and have had more configurations than you can shake a stick at; including several high-end optic setups. The NX8 with a piggybacked RMR does everything I want an AR15 to do and does it better than anything else I've tried.

The piggyback RMR is a lot of the magic here. Once you don't have to try to get the "scope" to work like an "Aimpoint," you can do a lot of different things. In several situations mostly revolving around nighttime armadillo hunting, I found myself wanting a more heads-up searching posture with the AR rather than the traditional cheek weld. The piggyback RMR does this perfectly. I think a lot of guys get hung up on the cheek weld vs "chin weld" thing and end up going with an offset RDS mount because they feel like they can transition to the scope faster and maintain cheek weld. To me, that's backwards. The scope is the secondary optic. The RMR is the primary optic and I only use the scope when I need more magnification for ID, Precision, etc. At that point, it's a simple dropping of the cheek into the cheek weld to use the scope.

Ok, but why the NX8? The NX8 is not the worst of both worlds compromise I once thought it was, but rather the best of both, but it is still a compromise. It's size and weight are huge gains compared to most magnified optics. The glass quality is superb as well. I was able to better observe and shoot better groups as well with the NX8 compared to a 10X Leupold Mark 4. In a pinch if the RMR were to fail somehow, the NX8 also works much better at 1X than that 3.5-10 Leupold with Mil-Dot reticle.

Is it the answer for everyone? Of course not. People will have preferences, biases, and budgets. However, if you go into it with the right expectations, I believe you will be well pleased.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Thanks for the writeup! That's very helpful.

Addendum

One other thing I meant to mention: How much top end mag do you need? Well, it depends on what you're doing (obviously) and there's a size and weight pentalty if you go much beyond 10X (Really 8X as there are some 1-10 scopes out now, but they're pretty heavy relative to the NX8). I'll tell you my opinion on what's NOT enough: 3.5X. Prior to this setup, I ran something almost identical but with a TA11 3.5X ACOG instead of the NX8. Great glass. I really like ACOG's for that and certainly the size and weight win. However, a couple things:

1. If I were going to do it with an ACOG again, I would go with a crosshair reticle. I've had several TA11's with their Horseshoe reticles in both red and green and also red Chevrons. I was able to be more precise with the Chevron when zeroing at 100yds, but unfortunately all reticles bloomed too much in even moderate sunlight.
    2. I found the 3.5X to be lacking for PID. I think a lot of folks define their need for magnification by something like, "I was banging steel at 200yds with my Aimpoint." Right. Me too. On white painted steel on a static range. However, in field use, there were multiple times I tried to use that 3.5X ACOG to determine if the brown thing moving in the brush at 200yds was a deer or a coyote. Not so easy. The 8X on the top end of the Nightforce helps solve that problem. Truth be told, I've begun leaving the NX8 on 4X because that is a useful general purpose magnification, but then I can go up or down depending on the need. The RMR is still the primary optic, though.
    Food Court Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    The RMR is still the primary optic, though.
    I’ve been using a Viper 1-6 in a 1.54” mount with a 507C up top. For me the dot and scope switch jobs for primary. I’ve been surprised that when shooting from unconventional positions, I just automatically go to the scope. The scope is defaulted to 1x, until I get in a position where I want the magnification, then I dial up. I’ve been considering the NX8 for the next rifle setup to shave some weight, but wanted to try tweaking some stuff.

Have you tried any different mount heights, specifically a 1.7? What about a closed emitter optic?

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    I’ve been using a Viper 1-6 in a 1.54” mount with a 507C up top. For me the dot and scope switch jobs for primary. I’ve been surprised that when shooting from unconventional positions, I just automatically go to the scope. The scope is defaulted to 1x, until I get in a position where I want the magnification, then I dial up. I’ve been considering the NX8 for the next rifle setup to shave some weight, but wanted to try tweaking some stuff.

Have you tried any different mount heights, specifically a 1.7? What about a closed emitter optic?
    I’ve not had the opportunity to try a 1.7 height mount. I have tried a 1.93 on a friend’s rifle with NX8 and didn’t care for it. On closed emitter, for me that would mean Aimpoint Micro. I think a T1/T2 or the new ACRO that takes the 2032 would be ideal, but more weight. I have 4 RMR’s (2 on Glocks, one of which is carried daily, another on a pimped out 22 pistol and this one). I’m not that worried about it.
    Food Court Apprentice

Site Supporter
    Going down this similar road and found a lot of the same things to be true.

Doing it with a SWFA Ultralight 2.5-10 on the bottom though.

I am also doing a nx8 1-8 with a rds back up. Right now that RDS is a 508t on an arksaka offset. I find this gives me the most capabilities in a fighting carbine. I like the offset because canting the gun into me gives me more control/stability when shooting on the move. I also really like it because I can stupid low in the prone and still make hits. As far as choosing the 508t, I really like the circle dot reticle for 50 yards and in, it's fast and works much better for my eyes than a 2 moa dot. I have pretty much decided to never use a 2 moa dot on anything after experiencing a 6moa dot. Man what a difference, especially in bright New Mexico sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    1. It is not a replacement for a red dot outside of static range drills. This is my opinion and others may disagree. That's fine. For me, in static positions or even with one-dimensional movement, it does work like a red dot. Fairly flat image, nice bright illumination. However, in multi-dimensional movement and, more importantly, less than ideal shooting positions, it certainly suffers compared to a red dot. Frankly, in my experience, every LPVO including the renowned Vortex Razor 1-6 struggles here. It's just what happens when you have tubes and lenses like that.
    2. It is not a long range precision optic. Yes, it's FFP. Yes it has Mil stadia. However, the reticle design does not lend itself well to shooting groups or small things far away.
    I agree with all that you've said but highlighting this paragraph in particular because IMO nothing not even the venerable Razor 1-6 which I agree likely has the most generous eyebox out there is a good replacement for CQB work over a red dot. Just doesn't work like that. There's a reason all the gamers and even some duty shooters have that top mounted RMR or that 45 degree offset red dot. Red dots are just undeniably inside 100 yards.

I'm not sure at what distance you are thinking about when you say it's not a long range precision optic but I can agree with that too. It can absoltuely make your day easier hitting a target at 500 yards but this is not a scope for a bolt gun or a 308 gun or anything where you are going to shoot 500+ yards with on a regular basis especially if it's a small target like a 6" steel gong. But for hitting people sized targets at 500 yards this works well.

I don't love the NX8 but I've yet to find something else I like more. Everything else is a different and worse for me compromise. Everything else I've worked at is either way more expensive, less magnification, heavier, worse reticle etc or something else that makes me go back to the NX8.

That said I know it's fallen out of favor and it also has compromises but I really think a red dot with some BDC hold overs like a Sig Romeo 4T and a magnifier is probably far more useful for most people in most situations than LPVOs. I'm not really including the forums members here in that group because well the members here shoot so much they make me look like a noob but I'm a member at a range with a 100 and 200 yard range and I've only ever seen one person besides me that's shot at 200 yards and it was this dude using iron sights on his Anschutz 22 LR

I had one and sold it. Great looking optic, excellent weight, great controls, etc.

My two complaints were:

Eye box was pretty unforgiving. Obviously there is a balance between weight and magnification at play that will ultimately determine eye box. For my application (LE patrol), I preferred the more forgiving, but heavier and lower magnification Vortex Razor Gen 2 E, which was also available to me much cheaper than the NX8.

The large center dot of the reticle was simply too large for me at 8X. I ended up feeling like the extra magnification was offset by the relatively imprecise center dot. I really liked the reticle otherwise and thought the way that the illumination works along with being first focal plane to create a "red dot" at 1x was really smart, but at 8x I just didn't like it.

I liked the NX8 well enough that I would probably still recommend it as a good value if you need the 8x capability or if you knew you were going to shoot from predictable positions. If it was down to the NX8 or Razor HD Gen 3 (1-10), for example), I would be much more apt to stick with the NX8 when the relative prices are considered.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    I had one and sold it. Great looking optic, excellent weight, great controls, etc.

My two complaints were:

Eye box was pretty unforgiving. Obviously there is a balance between weight and magnification at play that will ultimately determine eye box. For my application (LE patrol), I preferred the more forgiving, but heavier and lower magnification Vortex Razor Gen 2 E, which was also available to me much cheaper than the NX8.

The large center dot of the reticle was simply too large for me at 8X. I ended up feeling like the extra magnification was offset by the relatively imprecise center dot. I really liked the reticle otherwise and thought the way that the illumination works along with being first focal plane to create a "red dot" at 1x was really smart, but at 8x I just didn't like it.

I liked the NX8 well enough that I would probably still recommend it as a good value if you need the 8x capability or if you knew you were going to shoot from predictable positions. If it was down to the NX8 or Razor HD Gen 3 (1-10), for example), I would be much more apt to stick with the NX8 when the relative prices are considered.

I also had one and sold it, and had the same two complaints about it. Bottom line, it was just not the LPV scope *for me*. I still much prefer the Kahles K16i (G4B reticle) I bought new a couple of years ago for $1720. shipped from Sport Optics. Below are a couple links to some reviews of the K16i. I have my Kahles 16i mounted in a Reptilia Corp 1.54 " height mount with an ACRO P2 (3.5 MOA dot) at 12 o'clock on their ring mount, until I can get a Reptilia Corp 30MM ROF™-90 mount for it.

https://www.westernshooter.com/2014/...24-sm1-review/

https://youtu.be/-p-8gBpYX0Q
    Last edited by Biggy; 04-07-2022 at 10:36 AM.

User Tag List