Thread: Louisville, KY area ranges

Site Supporter

Louisville, KY area ranges

Does anyone know of any ranges in the northern KY area that are open to hosting instructors? A friend of mine with a good resume is looking to get into teaching, and I’m hoping to hook him up with a range in the area that’s amenable. I’m in Louisville and have checked with Openrange and shoot point blank, neither of which are open to hosting outside instructors.

Any help is appreciated.

I moved to Louisville recently, and I’ve been very surprised at how limited the range options are. Hopefully someone chimes in with something I haven’t heard of…

I'm not sure how far the drive is for you, but Rock Castle looked good when I went to see it.

I lived in Bowling Green for 6 months, and drove to Rock Castle to check it out but never ended up shooting there. I moved out of the city as fast as I could, and found myself on the other end of the state.

I stayed in Louisville when I went to the Knob Creek range last year. I don't know if they host outside instructors, but it is a large facility so it may be worth reaching out to them.

I bought my Dad a range membership at Knob Creek but he had to drop out about a decade ago. It was a good place, at least for the time he was a member.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CalAlumnus View Post
    I moved to Louisville recently, and I’ve been very surprised at how limited the range options are. Hopefully someone chimes in with something I haven’t heard of…
    I’ve been here almost two years, and while I haven’t had luck finding ranges that will host outside instructors (pending looking into knob creek and rock castle), I’ve had good luck shooting at Openrange in crestwood. They won’t allow you to draw from a holster there, but that doesn’t seem to be too uncommon for indoor ranges around here.

If you’d ever like to shoot together, PM me and we can set something up.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I'm not sure how far the drive is for you, but Rock Castle looked good when I went to see it.

I lived in Bowling Green for 6 months, and drove to Rock Castle to check it out but never ended up shooting there. I moved out of the city as fast as I could, and found myself on the other end of the state.
    Unfortunately, it looks like they’ve closed permanently.

I've hosted a few courses at Knob Creek. The instructor must be fully insured to be allowed a chance to teach there. It has been a few years since I have hosted anything there due to family and my business. Hopefully soon I will have the time to start hosting worthwhile instructors again.

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    I'm a bit late to this thread, but Blue Grass Sportsmen's League in Wilmore (~20min south of Lexington) used to be open to hosting. The best starting point would be to contact the Pistol Division (https://bgslinc.com/pistol-division/) rather than the main club.
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

User Tag List