Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Light effects on sleep

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar

If you care to take a deep dive, I found these very informative. Bottom line, light exposure in the right amounts and times of day is arguably the most influential factor on good sleep/sleep timing/good wakefulness/etc. So it was not surprising to me when I read about the study the OP posted.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Saw that study and wonder what it means for northern folks where it doesn't get dark for months of the year.
    It’s not like it could make them any crazier.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    I use a sleeping mask have been for years. Use ear plugs as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    That'll get you killed on the streets in the house!
    There's nothing civil about this war.

"Light levels are 100lux vs light eliminated at under 3 lux vs 240 lux for bright conditions."

Thanks!

Wiki sez even brightest moon is less than 1 lux:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonlight

So I dunno. Bright moonlight casts shadows, you can read, etc.

FWIW: " the non-working occasions, such as railway stations, airports, hospitals, building, hall, room, hallways, stairwells, toilet, 100-100 Lux. Parks, parking lots, and streets can be as low as 10-50 Lux."

https://www.no1ledlight.com/lux-stan...door-lighting/

So the study seems to be talking about sleeping in fairly bright light - not what most of us would call dim light.

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    They don't quantify what 'a tiny bit of light' means, but a full, or even partial moon puts out a lot of light. I'd be surprised if any amount of light less than that has an effect, because zillion years of evolution.
    Well yes...but no.

Look at where animals sleep. Dark spots, under bushes under heavy tree cover, caves, in burrows, etc. Humans were/are no different. Dark places are safe(r) places. They're also warmer places. Conquer fire and sleeping outside isn't as problematic, but still isn't what we did over zillion of years of evolution.

When I worked graveyards I bought a blackout blind for my window. It was very dark inside. I only rotated shifts for a couple years. Our rotation was six months. I’ve heard of monthly rotations. That’s a lot worse on your body/system than sleeping in a little light.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Working days or evenings, I can sleep with a light on. It's not what I like, but I can somewhat do and get decent rest.

Working deep nights, I need as little of light as possible when I sleep in order to get decent rest.

I had a shift that ended at 8am. Working that shift long term had a negative effect on me, but when I had a shift that ended at 6am, I did not feel as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    Me too. Wish I started using them years ago.

I'm so used to wrapping a t-shirt around my eyes when I sleep that I can't hardly sleep without it. A lot more comfortable than a mask and you always have one with you.

User Tag List