Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light effects on sleep

Light effects on sleep

Interesting. Tiny sample size, but if substantiated, it might be another of the many reasons shift work had an adverse effect on health.
    ————————-

New research suggests that one night of sleep with just a moderate amount of light may have adverse effects on cardiovascular and metabolic health.

"I was surprised that even this fairly, I would say, small amount of light just getting through the eyes to the brain still had such notable effect," says Dr. Phyllis Zee, senior author of the new study and director of the Center for Circadian and Sleep Medicine at Northwestern University.

The findings tie into a broader body of evidence that indicates being exposed to light at night may be harmful in a variety of ways and could predispose people to chronic diseases.

The results, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences this month, show several clear differences between the two groups.

Unlike those who spent both nights in the dark, the group exposed to the light had elevated heart rates throughout the night. They also had increased insulin resistance in the morning, meaning they had more trouble getting their blood sugar into a normal range.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...disrupts-sleep

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    They could have polled a dozen FedEx pilots and saved the money.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Midnight shift cops couple have told them that.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Saw that study and wonder what it means for northern folks where it doesn't get dark for months of the year.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I worked midnights for 17 years and I had pieces of paneling cut to the exact window size so zero light got into the bedroom. A fan for sound and cool temps made it as decent as possible. Noise was the more challenging aspect to deal with.

They don't quantify what 'a tiny bit of light' means, but a full, or even partial moon puts out a lot of light. I'd be surprised if any amount of light less than that has an effect, because zillion years of evolution.

For now, I'm going to put it in the 'one study shows' category. I've read too many 'study shows coffee good' followed by 'study shows coffee bad' followed by ...

(not disagreeing, BTW, that shift work messes you up; that has certainly been y experience with it. Just not convinced that low levels of light are the culprit)

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    They don't quantify what 'a tiny bit of light' means, but a full, or even partial moon puts out a lot of light. I'd be surprised if any amount of light less than that has an effect, because zillion years of evolution.

For now, I'm going to put it in the 'one study shows' category. I've read too many 'study shows coffee good' followed by 'study shows coffee bad' followed by ...

(not disagreeing, BTW, that shift work messes you up; that has certainly been y experience with it. Just not convinced that low levels of light are the culprit)
    I have blackout shades under the blinds on my bedroom windows. There is some light leakage but not much and I sleep soundly... when my achy joints allow.

Rotating shifts are the devil's work. I did not have to do it often but hated it while I did. I know people who volunteered for straight evenings or midnights to avoid the rotation stress.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

The study and details are linked in the article.

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2113290119 Light levels are 100lux vs light eliminated at under 3 lux vs 240 lux for bright conditions. This is a randomized control study not an epidemiological study. It only had 20 participants and is a single study so more needs to be done to be more solid but it is nothing like the Epidemiological studies where a bunch of people fill out surveys over years asking what they eat or drink and then trying to find results. That is where most of the wine good then wine bad or coffee,fat or any other food or beverage come from and the frequent changes back and forth. Looking at a persons insulin and heart rate when exposed to a single change in light is more accurate.

Site Supporter
    And of course the really old joke....

What is the difference between light and hard?

I can sleep with a light on.....

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    And of course the really old joke....

What is the difference between light and hard?

I can sleep with a light on.....

pat
    Don't be a dick.

Which is heavier, a full moon or a half moon?

On topic, I have a hard time believing that such minimal amounts of light are deleterious when sleeping. I fall asleep at the drop of a hat lying on the couch during the daytime, and often struggle to fall asleep late at night. And I'm just as unhealthy both ways.

Personally, I think working long hours without sleep, such as we do in LE during long surveillances followed by arrests, turning in evidence and court appearances...are much more deleterious to health than a wee bit of light...or many of us would probably be dead already.

Answer: A half moon, because a full moon is lighter.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List