Thread: Logging next door

Logging next door

My neighbor had a 16" tree fall on his shop. 80k to repair it. His solution was to log his property around his shop. That makes sense to me so I told his logger to take some trees on our property to avoid any damage to our house. Last Nov we had some 65 mph winds that did a lot of damage. Trees that are 70 years old sometimes fall in those high winds. Here's some pics of the operation. They're using a logging skidder and an excavator (track hoe) to log his property. So far they've taken out two truck loads and it looks like maybe 4 more. We have about one truck load to be logged. Some of the trees are 24" in dia. A truck load is worth about $2500 (5000 board ft.) at the mill.

Not exactly sure where the Spotted/Barred owls will live now.

Last edited by Borderland; 03-29-2022 at 10:14 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

If you give a hoot about the owls, you can put up an owl box so they can have a new home.

Quote Originally Posted by smells like feet View Post
    If you give a hoot about the owls, you can put up an owl box so they can have a new home.
    Actually we have too many owls. Barred owls are quite plentiful in my area because there is no shortage of nesting habitat or food. I think about 50% of this island is mature forest. Bald Eagles kill my neighbors chickens. I know because I've seen them do it.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I'm just across the water from you and I cannot for the life of me understand why people leave so much standing timber around their homes. The root balls loosen if we get enough rain, and it's worse if that happens in the winter and we get a freeze. Then it just takes a bit of wind and you've got 120 feet of uninvited Douglas fir in your living room.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Opposite side of the country as you, but living in hurricane country, I removed any pine trees that could reach my house. Preventing a 120' tree from falling on my house is definitely simpler than having to get my house put back together.

User Tag List