Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Video of horrific pile up on I81 in Pennsylvania 3/25/22

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    This is where smart GPS in the future could high alert drivers of wrecks up ahead.
    Smart GPS already exists but driver's need to maintain situational awareness and exercise caution.

On the portion of I81 in West Virginia there are lighted programmable billboards which can flash warnings 9f conditions ahead. They get used almost daily.

Most important in conditions of low visibility is to turn on your flashers and SLOW DOWN. If possible pull far off on the shoulder, leaving your flashers on and EXIT THE VEHICLE. If you have CB, ham or GMRS radio transmit a warning and call 911.

I avoid I81 when possible, as these kinds of cluster foxtrot happen all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    This is where smart GPS in the future could high alert drivers of wrecks up ahead.
    Meaning that your and everyone else's location is known at all times. No thanks I'll take the chance of sitting in traffic. You can keep that crap.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Meaning that your and everyone else's location is known at all times. No thanks I'll take the chance of sitting in traffic. You can keep that crap.

You’re adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    You’re adorable.
    I know. At home. I realize that when I post something it shows my IP address which pretty much says where I'm at

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    At the end of the clip, he says he's going to go try to rescue people.
    If any of ya'll ever find yourself in this situation--bystander to any sort of accident at all in traffic on an interstate--stay off on the shoulder, remain in your vehicle, and call 911. There is nothing you can do for the people inside the cars until the scene can be controlled, and you are putting yourself at risk and complicating the scene. But if you can remain calm and communicate well, you can save lives by helping pinpoint the location of the accident, deconflict it from any additional accidents (so we know if there are multiple scenes), and provide information on number of victims, extrication, etc.

If you need convincing: We had an accident on our local interstate. One vehicle wound up center lane of the opposing side. A passing truck driver stopped to render aid--in the lane of traffic. A second truck collided with his stopped truck. The driver of the initial passenger car was killed instantly. The Good Samaritan, out on foot and with the other driver, was torn in half vertically and hopefully died instantly.

Dec 8 2013. 60 car pile up. Was in traffic for 8+ hours. At one point a bag pipe band started walking around playing

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    You know, in my freshman intro to engineering class we had a project to help emergency vehicles avoid/manage traffic. This was '00 so no smart phones and stuff like that yet.

We came up with what I thought was a really cool GPS based system that would allow gov't vehicles to broadcast their location when going "lights and sirens" and civvy cars would have the tech to receive but NOT reveal their own location due to privacy concerns (which I made a big deal about). I thought it ended up being a pretty robust and well thought out system for some freshman kids but obviously it didn't really go anywhere.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

There’s a short video on driving into a dust storm with limited visibility. If you haven’t been in a thick dust storm sometimes you can’t see a cars length ahead of you. AZDOT says to pull off the road, remain in your car, foot off brake, and turn off all your lights.

https://azdot.gov/adot-news/drivers-...ted-dust-storm
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

One of the benefits to having been on the road full-time for 3 years: I well know the value of pulling off, finding a shitty hotel and a nice bar, and waiting for another day. That plan may have cost me 69 bucks, plus bar tab, at a time, but I’m pretty sure it served me well in inclement weather over the years.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Most people grossly underestimate how far back you have to go to give people a chance to see you, process, react, and slow from highway speeds. 70mph is 100 feet per second. A lot of distance is covered during
    “What’s that?”
    “A guy waving”
    “I wonder why he’s waving?”
    “Maybe I should slow down a bit”
    And that's the precious few people who are actually paying attention to the road, and are not busy looking at their phones.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List