Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eyeglass lenses help

Eyeglass lenses help

I'm in my 4th prescription in 5 years. I've never had as much trouble getting the lenses right as I have with my new lenses. I went to a new eye doctor. I felt like she was very thorough, took a lot of time asking questions, checking my prescription, answering my questions, etc. Unfortunately, I just can't get a lens from them that I can see well with. My last two sets of lenses were Varilux Physio. They've tried 3 times and these lenses still aren't right. With the 3rd set the tech told me she could order Varilux lenses (the first two were another brand). I'm pretty sure they are still not Varilux though. My old glasses are still a lot more clear than the new ones. I can't read with my new lenses without significant eye strain and headaches. I'm frustrated but I also hate to go back again. They are super nice and they've worked really hard to get them right. That being said...

What should I do next? Should I return them and let them try again? Or just return them and ask for a refund (not sure if I can even get a refund).

How do I find someone that can build me a set of glasses, with the lens I want, that I can see out of?

I'm kind of at a loss here. Part of me wants to think this is my fault but they are supposed to be the experts.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Is there a lot of difference between the old and new prescriptions? How long did you wear the old pair?

If you go in again, bring the old pair that you're most used to, have them check the measurements of that vs the new pair. There may, or may not be, a clue to be gained.

Long ago, I once had a patient who wore no-line bifocals, came to our shop for the first time, got an updated Rx not much different from the old. The new glasses did not work for him. Turns out, the previous place had made them out of spec, and he got used to it over many years. We found a workaround that satisfied him (also made new lenses out of spec, but about halfway between what he had been at, and where they "should" have been).

Glasses and vision and the brain behind them can get weird.

Feel free to PM if you like, OP. I no longer consider myself an expert, but I still adjust glasses for my wife and kids.

After a retina surgery, cataract surgery, and a YAG laser procedure, I can say my eyes were definitely changing throughout, and affecting my prescription. BUT what my brain was doing to accommodate my drastic vision change was really surprising. I feel like my brain was seeing what my eyes weren't. It was filling in gaps in my perception that my vision couldn't. Amazing stuff, really.

I don't know what the best route for you is, but I can empathize with you.

p.s. NEVER go to the big box, same day retailers for complex prescriptions.

I'm pretty sure they are still not Varilux though.
    BTDT
    My first presbyoptic glasses were Varilux, never a bifocal, no problems.
    But then I let the shop put generic progressives in so I would be fully covered on insurance.
    Not wearable, nor were second pair of generics.
    Paid up for real Varilux, back to clear and comfortable.

Hold out for the real thing.

I am overdue for exam and at least two pairs of lenses, maybe frames; Varilux and monofocal shooting.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I’m due for a new pair. May have to look into this Varilux thing. Never heard of them before reading this thread. I very grudgingly adopted progressive lenses, but still push them up to read. I do not have good eyesight, myopia, astigmatism, and now presbyopia, and I have often wondered how it has affected my shooting.

Varilux is a brand of progressive lens. Me and the OP think it is superior.
    If you are pushing up progressives to read, they aren't right.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Varilux is a brand of progressive lens. Me and the OP think it is superior.
    If you are pushing up progressives to read, they aren't right.
    Yes, I’m tracking. The fact that the glasses aren’t right is what frustrates me. I looked and my old eye doctor is not a dealer for Varilux. My wife’s eye doctor is, so I’m probably going to switch practices and try what you believe to be a superior brand. I am very finicky about my vision, and what I’ve tried so far to date just isn’t working.

I have been wearing Varilux lenses with complete satisfaction, since I learned about them on PF a number of years ago. In fact, my prescription hasn't changed over that period. Varilux are comfortable in life, shooting, flying off airport and on.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCarl View Post
    Is there a lot of difference between the old and new prescriptions? How long did you wear the old pair?

If you go in again, bring the old pair that you're most used to, have them check the measurements of that vs the new pair. There may, or may not be, a clue to be gained.

Long ago, I once had a patient who wore no-line bifocals, came to our shop for the first time, got an updated Rx not much different from the old. The new glasses did not work for him. Turns out, the previous place had made them out of spec, and he got used to it over many years. We found a workaround that satisfied him (also made new lenses out of spec, but about halfway between what he had been at, and where they "should" have been).

Glasses and vision and the brain behind them can get weird.

Feel free to PM if you like, OP. I no longer consider myself an expert, but I still adjust glasses for my wife and kids.
    I don’t have the prescription in front of me but looking at the lenses of the last three pair of glasses I have, I went from a +15, 20, +25 in that order. My last pair of glasses, +20, were Varilux X lenses.

It’s funny that you mention glasses out of spec. I had those lenses replaced under warranty because I scratched them. The second set of lenses were off. The PD in the right lens was not right. I thought I was having issues with my eyes but figured out at the eye doctor that it was an issue with the lenses. I only wore them for about 4 months but it did take a little time to get use to them again once I sent them back to for correction.

The X lens does’t work for me near as well as the Physio lens does. I’m going to take @Jim Watson advice and hold out for the Varilux lenses or go somewhere else.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I would hate to do it but after three attempts w/ no success, I think I'd ask for a refund and try another doctor.

User Tag List