Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AK equivalent to 6920

AK equivalent to 6920

I am contemplating of getting an AK. My only "must have" is a folding stock. I am also heavily leaning towards a pistol that will be SBR'd.

I haven't finalized on the caliber, but would appreciate cliff notes for the following recommendations:

AK in 7.62x39
    AK in 5.45

Budget is max is about $1750.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    I am contemplating of getting an AK. My only "must have" is a folding stock. I am also heavily leaning towards a pistol that will be SBR'd.

I haven't finalized on the caliber, but would appreciate cliff notes for the following recommendations:

AK in 7.62x39
    AK in 5.45

Budget is max is about $1750.
    Arsenals are probably the 6920 of AKs. A Romanian Draco pistol makes a fantastic SBR. There are several ways to mount a stock to the flat rear trunnion, including folding adapters, if you don't mind drilling a couple holes. Here is a picture of mine in pistol form.

As far as ammo, 5.45 is not as easy to come by as 7.62x39, the mags are more expensive and not as plentiful.

Attachment 86623

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Arsenals are probably the 6920 of AKs.
    I think I missed the boat on Arsenals. The SGLs seem to be going 2500-3000 used. Is this because they are no longer being imported ?

I think I missed the boat on Arsenals. The SGLs seem to be going 2500-3000 used. Is this because they are no longer being imported ?
    They've always been higher than other AKs, and with the price of any AK right now the Arsenals are priced even higher. The SLR107 is a great AK if you can find one that isn't ridiculously priced.

Site Supporter
    Holy shit! Really? I paid $400 new for my first SGL.

I was going to say Arsenal as the 6920 of AKs as well.

I had Draco as well with the intent of SBRing it but never got around and sold it off. It would make a good base as previously mentioned.

I'd go 7.62x39 as well for the reason already mentioned.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Another vote here for the Arsenal SLG as the 6920 of AKs. It is the “closest” to the AK-100 series as you can reliably get in the US.

Your price point would put those out of your reach unless you get really lucky.

The closest to the AK-100 in your range is probably the Kalashnikov USA AK-103 which the “claim” is built to the Russian TDP. They seem to have done well in reviews but they have only been out a while so who knows if they are the real deal or not. K USA recently released a 103 with the side folding stock (which I’m lusting after). Assuming they are following the Russian TDP then these rifles will allow you to mount and configure them as well as any AK pattern rifle. Keep in mind that the AK world is NOT as plug and play as the AR world.

The recent release of Polish rifles are also worth a look. They have some differences from the AK-100 series but are very well made (in fact the nicest AKs I’ve ever held were Polish guns) and will be *mostly* comparable with most AK accessories.

The Romanian WASRs were pretty much your basic AKM pattern with a few tweaks here and there. They were rough, but as long as you get a good one will run well and can be accessorized pretty readily. They are getting harder to come by these days and as a result their prices have gone up to the point that many do not consider them worth their price.

Finally you will find a lot of Zastava AKs on the market. While there are some here who will tell you that Zastava’s will get you killed before you ever get to the street, others in the community consider them the best AK on the market for the money. I’ve purchased 3 of them and each had some QC issues (although my Arsenal and WASRs also had issues), but they have all proven to be very good rifles. Keep in mind that Yugo pattern AKs have some pretty big differences with other AK pattern rifles that keeps them from accepting many of the accessories that are available for AKs (stocks, handguards, etc). They do offer quite a few pistol models which might be worth a look.

Wish I could be more help on the shorty side, but I live in Kalifornia which ironically hates one of the few great inventions of communism.

Unfortunately - the best time to buy AKs was 10+ years ago.

Hope this is helpful.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 03-28-2022 at 02:53 PM.

Some decent AKs in your price range on GB:
    https://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-...Size=24&Sort=4

I had a 5.45 (Ohio Rapid Fire Bulgy -74), a 7.62 (Egyptian Maadi) and a 5.56 (Arsenal SAM-5 milled receiver). The Arsenal was my favorite.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    I may be unpopular for saying this.

I’ve been happy with my PSA AK-103 Klone. I have an Arsenal SGL series as well but I’ll probably not shoot it again.

I’d give the edge to the PSA for finish, and several other features. I bought the Arsenal way back when because I always felt like relationships between the US and Russia were rocky. I had no idea we’d be where we are today. It was $749 at the time.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    Yeah, the SGLs were built off Russian/Izmash rifles and they won’t be imported again so go for a premium. The SLR series are Bulgarian made and should be a bit cheaper.

While we’re talking AK prices, back in the day before there was much of anything in 5.45 available to shoot one of the LGS’s had a waist high box of the “Bakelite” 74 mags for sale at $2 a piece. I still kick myself in the ass for not dropping a 50 or hundred bucks on some of those.

If you want an AK I'd start with the ammo. 7.62 isn't getting any cheaper and definitely less plentiful with the Russian ammo ban (separate from Ukraine ban)

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

User Tag List