Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Smith assaults Chris Rock, wins Oscar

Let me get this right. We watch ACTORS doing what ACTORS do, and some people think it’s real? Wow, just wow…

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    He also has legions of younger fans who are probably going to learn the wrong lesson from all this.
    His son got the lesson already:

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1508295733551632389

Site Supporter
    Yes, Will Smith was out of line doing that, given the totality of context and that's assuming it wasn't staged. Given the acting experience they both have, I suspect stage acting elements were present because of a 'second nature' to hitting/getting hit for real in a context like that.
    I don't believe it's fair play to make jokes about someone's medical condition nor would I expect a husband to stand by and let that happen to his wife. But I think that problem could have easily been addressed with verbal heckling in response or taking it to twatter just like so many others do in similar situations, or taking a moment after accepting his award to discuss his wife's condition or any other millions of options a celebrity like Will Smith can enjoy.
    I do believe there was an element of pride and trying to save face after getting his name dragged through the mud for his wife's busy 'social schedule'. As anyone else who's worked with folks in the Middle East or other 'honor' cultures can attest, a loss of face is a BIG deal and a major precursor to violence and generally stupid/bad responses that make things worse, and this shitshow tracks with that kind of mentality IMHO.
    Unfortunately Will Smith is getting a lot more love than scrutiny for that act so I suspect we'll see more of that kind of garbage from that world going forward.

But also 'Yes' there's entirely too much tolerance these days for someone running their mouth. There is a real limit to what you can say before a physical response isn't just a reasonable thing to expect but almost guaranteed. I'd love to pretend the modern middle school/high school standards for this work in the real world, but they simply do not. I'd argue they don't really work in middle school or high school, either, but that's another whole can of worms.

Society is worse off for having encouraged that standard because it has only served to enable and protect assholes that desperately need the 'educational beatdown' lesson in reality and in humility. So much so that whenever their words finally do get a long-overdue kinetic response, they miss the lesson entirely because they just cry and whine about having been hit, and fail completely to accept the fact that their behavior directly encouraged that kind of outcome, ergo, they own some of the blame.
    Those types of people end up being the same ones sauntering slowly through a crosswalk on a red light and punching the mirror off of a car that was barely able to stop and avoid hitting him, and screaming at that driver like the driver was wrong even though he's the idiot paying no mind to traffic lights on a road he's crossing.
    Or the types of people that call an optometrist's office repeatedly to cuss out the receptionist for refusing to break HIIPA law and share an alleged relative's patient information. I saw both of those things happen just today.
    You need a good punch in the stomach if you can pick up a phone, dial a number, and then scream at a receptionist and call her a 'worthless stupid fucking bitch' at the top of your lungs so loudly that other patients heard your side of the phone call in the waiting room. The single worst part of it was seeing that receptionist visibly shaken up, then take a deep breath and then shrug as if it's something she should just accept as part of her job.

That all said, most celebrities have their heads so far up their own asses that it's surprising one hasn't started some kind of curvature singularity. The above Glenn Reynolds quote about the Oscars and the sorts of folks at that awards show is very accurate.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    It seems Smith found a very public way to look tough since their last public scene when his wife told the world she'd been having sex with their son's rapper friend. In all seriousness, I think Smith needs professional help. I also think Chris Rock should stop doing comedy for Hollywood. I'm not into entertainment drama but I've seen no less than 50 memes revolving around this story today so I got curious.
    I agree with this wholeheartedly

If the people involved were class acts, it would have looked more like:
    • Chris makes the same joke.
    • Jada smirks and takes it like a pro, or better yet, stands up and takes a quick bow, all in good fun and playing along with it. (Who wouldn't have respected that!)
    • Will smirks, maybe shakes his head and points at Chris like, "Watch it buddy!". Smiling nonetheless so it's clear to everyone, "We're all friends. We all give each other a good ribbing now and again."
    • Chris ends with a self-deprecating joke to bring it back home. Crowd laughs and claps, everyone watching is entertained.

Of course, leave it to Hollywood these days to miss the obvious and entertaining path through a given situation. I don't even like Will or Jada and think their family is a dumpster fire, and even I would have respected them if the situation was handled like the above.

Something to remember also is that it was an open handed slap, not a punch. Rock's face will be sore for a couple days, but his bruised ego will hurt for much longer.

I've been slapped before, I made a rude comment to a girl when I was like 19 and she let me have it. I deserved it. We also became friends after. My friends gave me shit about it for years.

I've been punched in the face too, both in fist fights and sparring in boxing and mma classes with boxing gloves or puffy gloves. Getting slapped stings, getting punched hurts. Not saying getting slapped can't hurt, but it's typically not the same.

As far as the comments go, I'd probably feel different about the whole thing if Smith slapped him after making a joke about her career. That would have been fair game as far as I'm concerned. They're actors. When was the last time Jada was in a good movie? I remember her in a couple of the Matrix movies and Collateral, but I'm drawing a blank after that. They're not rich because of Jada's career.

I can see how a woman could be very sensitive about having alopecia. I can also see how a man could be defensive about it. Men go bald just because we're men and the easy button for dealing with that is to just shave it. A woman might not have such an easy time dealing with it and may choose to wear a wig. When women get cancer, a lot of times they wear wigs or hats to both protect them from the sun and hide the hair loss. Sometimes they just roll with it and don't give af. I suppose it's the same for women with alopecia.

After I get done saying what I have to say, I can understand how it would seem strange when I say kudos to Will for doing that because no, violence isn’t the answer but on the other hand, our society has created this reality that people can just do or say whatever they want to everybody else no matter how hurtful, disrespectful or mean it may be because they know that most times there is no consequences for their actions and that if that person responds to it the way Will Smith dead then they’re gonna be the ones to get labeled as the bad guy. I realize Chris rock was just making a joke and yes, I am fully aware that he’s a comedian but this wasn’t an episode of Comedy Central Roast. This wasn’t one of his standup shows that people paid specifically to go watch. There’s a time and place for everything but to make a joke about something like that in front of all those people, not to mention all the millions watching is crossing the line. And I don’t know, if this was staged or not, it sure didn’t appear to me like it was staged. I mean, I know these people are actors and they are very good at what they do but like somebody said how Chris started stammering on his words after that and after Will had sat down and said what he did, it sure looked to me like that was coming from the heart and not only that, right as Chris Rock said what he said, you could see; or at least I could see the look of disgust on Jada’s face.

I don’t care, disagree with me all you want if you oppose what I said but one thing’s for certain; I doubt ole Chris will ever make another wisecrack like that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oakdalecurtis View Post
    Hello! These people are PAID ACTORS! Look at Smith’s face during the joke! He was laughing! And look at his face as he walked away from Rock after the “slap”. Smith could barely hide his inner laughter! On top of that, the sound was cut off as Smith walked away, LONG before he spoke the F word. Come on folks, the jokes on anyone who thought this was anything but another act from people who make their living ACTING! Don’t be a sucker and fall for their nonsense.
    Yeah, they are paid actors so I guess I can understand exactly where you’re coming from when you see this as fake but I don’t know, sure looked real to me and so what if he had kind of a smile after he smacked the shit out of him when he turned around… People can look like they’re laughing but I highly doubt that was the same kind of laughing or smiling that you seem to think it was but again, I don’t know. All I can say is it didn’t look fake to me.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Then they probably shouldn't share with the public what should be very private matters about their intimate relationships with others. If your very lifeblood and oxygen is publicity, then don't fake being offended when people comment.

I only wish Ricky Gervais would have been asked to comment.
    Doesn’t matter. Whether they publicly shared this or not, there will always be things about public figures that gets found out whether they wanted it to be or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mntneer357 View Post
    Will's wife has slept with other men and he didn't seem to mind, but a hair joke is over the line?
    Who gives a shit what they allow or what they do in their own personal time. The man still obviously loves his wife and no, it wasn’t just a hair joke as you put it, it’s a disease.

The real bullshit here is Will's false machismo and the alligator tears.
    Can’t comment on this part because I’ve yet to watch that.

User Tag List