Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking About a Glock

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I’ll second trying the G45/17/34 as well. Not only is the G19 grip shorter but the shape is slightly different than the 17/34/45, with the G19 grip having a more pronounced hump and the hump located slightly higher up on the back strap.
    I quite like the G19X/G45 concept, it works well for me.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I quite like the G19X/G45 concept, it works well for me.
    Same.

G45 MOS and done. I much prefer the G45 over any other Glock.

A "Snowflake" person to me, when it comes to Glocks, are people who DON'T buy a Glock because of it being common, and miss out how good the pistol and brand are. Instead, they'll but something else. Whether they'll have problems with their other-than-Glock choice will just depend on their shooting and fiddling-with-the-gun habits. Glocks are commonly-used by professional gun carriers as a large percentage (65-80% I last heard from Glock sales folk) of law enforcement personnel are carrying them, and some of the SpecOps US military using Glock (as opposed to the regular US military going with SIG M18/M17).

This could further result in issues regarding: parts availability (but now it can also be hard to find Glock parts too); repairs of a non-Glock firearm; accessory availability; and other choices made just to stylishly be wielding a non-Glock firearm.

For me, I've been a long-time Glock-guy, chosen by me even before it became a mandated-issued handgun by employer (first issued handgun was an S&W .40 model 4006).

Granted, the Blue-Label pricing is great and makes sense if money is an issue. Some folks (as I was prior to retiring) had to use them (but we didn't have to like them), and therefore had to develop some degree of expertise in using them. Some of us might prefer other brands/models of handgun, but some instructors have expressed the need or desire to use the Glock as many/most of the students in their classes will be carrying a Glock in the classes.

For the OP with a new Blue Label dealer close by, I think it's a good reason to try out a Glock 19 or any other Glock model just for the variety and experience with Glock, although, it's certainly not necessary for the OP. If the OP is satisfied with the Beretta APX and S&W M&P handguns he's got, those should serve him just fine as they've apparently been doing.

Really, I don't care what anybody chooses to buy and use. I'd likely answer differently if criteria included: service, parts, accessory/holster availability; ease of self-maintenance; armorer-classes; relatively stable product specs of guns by not being discontinued; good pricing; ability to deliver a few hundred guns by an agreed-to date. Currently, there may be constraints in finding exactly the model desired due to inventory availability, but may be partially alleviated if the dealer will take a customer's name onto a waiting & notification list.

Site Supporter
    I haven’t been shooting nearly as long as many others on this forum, and most of the formative experience I’ve had with shooting came from glocks. That being said, I don’t like them that much and have spent the last year and a half or so trying to switch away from them.

I’ve been though a P30v1, a Langdon PX4cc, a Langdon beretta 92, and a sig p226 with a bunch of GGI parts in that time. I liked all of those guns better than glock for one reason or another, but despite that I’m back at a gen 5 glock 19 (well, a g45 slide on a g19 frame) as my carry gun. It’s a dumb, boring gun but it’s what I’m consistently making the most strides shooting, and is just plain easy to deal with.

When I get a new battle hoe, I always get a few extra extractor's, RSA's, and all the little springs that one may need in the future.
    Many don't seem to realize how useless a pistol will become when a $5 spring gives up the ghost.

Every gun owner in the US should own at least one 9mm Glock. The 19 makes the most sense size wise if ypu ever plan on carrying it and the Gen 5 is the best “package” Glock from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    For most people, is the g17/45/34 a little easier to shoot because of the hump placement?
    I think that depends on the individual.

I shot G19s since the gen2 came out and only recently (10 years?) started on the G17s. I have size L hands and I shoot the G17 slightly better (subjective terms since I never did any objective measurements) because having a longer grip gives me a sense of better control (especially at the draw), however, I never had any problems shooting a G19 well (B class -sometimes A- in the 90s and aughts plus tons of classes). The position of the hump takes a little getting used to if you have focused on one size only for years but if you're just starting shooting Glocks, you can adapt easily. Try the different sizes and see what works.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    For most people, is the g17/45/34 a little easier to shoot because of the hump placement?
    I personally like the 17 grip a tad more than the 19 but I shoot them both about the same. It just doesn't seem to make a difference in results.

I agree with the comment above that the Gen4 17 with finger grooves was about as close to "comfortable" as a Glock gets. The Gen5 17 is fine, though.

I prefer the G45, it is my favorite Glock. You state it may be used for concealed carry so it all would depend on if the extra bit of the grip frame would cause you concealment issues or not. If you believe it would go with the G19. If not, go with the G45.

User Tag List