Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking About a Glock

Site Supporter

Thinking About a Glock

For context, my oldest 1911 was bought 40 years ago and my oldest S&W was bought 36 years ago. But I’ve never owned a Glock.

Much of the reason is that everybody, their brother, and their brother’s dog had one. I have an unfortunate tendency towards snowflake-ism. Economically it makes no sense since I have holsters and magazines for 9x19 M&Ps if I want another polymer gun.

However (comma, pause for effect), my LGS just became a Glock blue label dealer and LTT has brought out the SCD from oblivion, so it’s relatively cheap and can be holstered with the extra margin of safety a hammer or thumb safety provides. All the good things I’ve heard about the Gen 5 version are pushing me in that direction too.

So…any reason I should get something other than a G19? Purpose will be carry if I decide to switch from my PX4s.

I’ll need to order sights (Ameriglo Hackathorns) and a holster (JMCK IWB 3).

I like snowflake guns too, but I carry my G19.5 with a RDS most of the time. Get a MOS gun even if you don't plan on running a dot. It will give you options. I got mine cut, and it works great but it kind of killed the deal you get with the Blue Label discount.

Since you've obviously been shooting for quite a while IMHO I'd say it simply comes down to how you shoot with the trigger and grip angle... As in, is your performance acceptable enough to meet your own criteria?
    - The trigger sucks compared to a 1911 but it can do its job if worked properly.
    - The grip angle is very high compared to a 1911... Not a big deal with irons but it will require some concerted practice to adjust with an RDS.
    Everything else about a Glock should be great for you. There's a reason everyone has at least one and it's not just marketing... They just do everything pretty damn well without any serious downsides, along with having an unrivaled aftermarket support system.
    Go for it... If you don't like it it's the easiest gun to sell you could ever name.

Glock 19 is still my nightstand gun despite owning a lot of snowflake stuff.

I'm heading that way myself. I should have done that years ago.

Plan is to start with a G5 26, then move into the Dot Life with a G19 MOS sometime later this summer.

I had a false start a few years back with a G4 19. It wasn't until I got a good belt and holster that I found it was a bit easier to tote than I thought, but I had foolishly promised to sell it to a friend by that point.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I don’t like Glocks, but I own 9mm Glocks. They’re nearly a universal pistol and not owning one feels like not owning a Remington 870.

A Glock 19 MOS is a great choice. With Holosun releasing dots that mount directly to the MOS footprint, you should be able to keep the same iron sights.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    A Glock 19 MOS is a great choice. With Holosun releasing dots that mount directly to the MOS footprint, you should be able to keep the same iron sights.
    Yep, that's the plan.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Glocks are the only semiauto pistol I have, not counting a Ruger Mark IV. I get the case for Glocks. I'm Mr. Boring when it comes to handguns.

But if I shot a PX4 or M&P well and had all the supporting equipment, I don't know that I would be in hurry to have a Glock.

Part of the reason I only have Glocks is I think I've finally figured out how to shoot them now. I believe Glocks require their own technique. What works for a 1911 doesn't work on a DA revolver. Likewise, the frustration people have trying to shoot Glocks well comes from trying to shoot them like other guns.

The design is hard to shoot naturally. The squarish shape of the grip makes it hard to feel the gun's center. The trigger finger can twist the gun as it is working the trigger. The trigger safety tab makes the trigger reach feel longer than it really is. The first contact between the finger and the safety tab is really a "false" trigger. You don't know if you're really on the right spot on the trigger until you've started the pull.

These are all just my non-expert opinions but I think there are real reasons why "low and left" seems more common to Glock than other guns. I got very serious over the last several years about going from "meh" to "not bad" accuracy with Glocks. For me it took analysis, experimentation, and repetition. That uses practice time and ammo that could be applied to a gun that shoots well with less fuss.

If the goal is to own an example of the handgun that defines common-as-dirt, easy to maintain, and usually boringly reliable, yep, that's the one. It just may be a frustrating little beast compared to other pistols.
    Last edited by Edster; 03-27-2022 at 12:08 AM.

Site Supporter
    I think every pistol shooter should own a Glock. In this case, I'd get a 19.5 or 26.5. The G26 with the +2 mag extensions is a tiny bit easier for me to conceal.

If you don't like it, Glocks are a pretty liquid investment. I've bought blue label guns for a little over $400, shot them a couple of years, and sold them for $400. The Gen4 pistols were great about not showing wear on the barrel.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

User Tag List