Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking About a Glock

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    A Glock 19 MOS is a great choice. With Holosun releasing dots that mount directly to the MOS footprint, you should be able to keep the same iron sights.
    OK... now that's responding to the market. That's a pretty big deal. A C&H plate seems to negate a lot of issues with MOS. But removing another possible failure point is great.

To the original poster. Yup - Gen 5 19. Done. The Gen 5 is the best grip glock has done out of the box. Not perfect, I still did a texture job on my Gen 5 17. But if one is hesitant or wants to compete stock/SSP its still an Ok grip texture. Plus, its a near perfect carry pistol if you want "full size" performance. I have a Gen 3 with a milled 507C and its my #1 carry pistol.

Good lock on the pistol shopping!
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by rawkguitarist View Post
    The Gen 5 is the best grip glock has done out of the box.
    !
    Opinion of course. I prefer the Gen 4. I’m one of those rare folks who like the finger groves. I feel they serve a purpose, even if they’re not particularly well spaced on the 19 size frames.

GEN519MOS seems to be a standard. If don’t want to dive into the dot life right away, one thought might be to fit slightly taller sights if you decide to go with a plate setup.
    Holster(s), spare mags, train up a bit on it and it will be a good piece. I hope to carry mine until it’s inherited…

Glock is my least favorite handgun brand (OK, only kidding, I pretty much wouldn't touch a Springfield on a bet at this point). But, my nightstand gun is a Gen5 G19 MOS with TLR8AG, my "backpack" gun is a FM9 that feeds off Glock magazines, and my "stash gun" for my wife is a Gen5 G26. I dislike everything about Glocks, how they look, how they point, how they feel in the hand, the trigger, you name it. But I can shoot them darned near as well as my Staccato (the Shadow 2 is WAY easier to shoot), I know that I can detail strip them in a matter of seconds (literally), replace any broken parts with the most rudimentary tools, and I trust that they will ALWAYS make the banging noise when I pull the trigger.

Two months ago, I pulled the G19 out of my nightstand safe for the first range visit is well over 6 months, and ran one of the prettiest "El Prez" runs I've ever shot. There's just something about them that makes so much sense. When I had about reached my limit on waiting for the S2 OR to show up, I was on the verge of driving down to the LE distributor and picking up a Gen5 G34 MOS for a "fun gun," but the pistol spirits intervened.

This is a really long winded way of saying, "yes, buy the G19." BUT, make sure you handle the G45, G17 and G34 as well, because not everyone loves the G19's shortish grip. Oh, and ONLY buy the Gen5 version - it's that much better than previous pistols it really makes no sense to buy earlier versions unless they're restricted in your locale.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    For context, my oldest 1911 was bought 40 years ago and my oldest S&W was bought 36 years ago. But I’ve never owned a Glock.

Much of the reason is that everybody, their brother, and their brother’s dog had one. I have an unfortunate tendency towards snowflake-ism. Economically it makes no sense since I have holsters and magazines for 9x19 M&Ps if I want another polymer gun.

However (comma, pause for effect), my LGS just became a Glock blue label dealer and LTT has brought out the SCD from oblivion, so it’s relatively cheap and can be holstered with the extra margin of safety a hammer or thumb safety provides. All the good things I’ve heard about the Gen 5 version are pushing me in that direction too.

So…any reason I should get something other than a G19? Purpose will be carry if I decide to switch from my PX4s.

I’ll need to order sights (Ameriglo Hackathorns) and a holster (JMCK IWB 3).
    As others have said, get the 19.5 MOS. That way, you can add an optic now or whenever you feel like it.

But your PX4’s are so nice!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    As others have said, get the 19.5 MOS. That way, you can add an optic now or whenever you feel like it.
    Does the 19 MOS come with the same dovetail protectors the standard Glocks have, or are they decent sights?

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Does the 19 MOS come with the same dovetail protectors the standard Glocks have, or are they decent sights?
    Dovetail protectors. Order your Hacks elsewhere and save money on the base gun

I disliked Glocks for years, then my wife wanted a G19 so I got her a G19.5 and had Hackathorn sights put on it. The Gen 5 shoots quite well for my 1911 calibrated hands, I’m not mentally shouting elevation adjustments to myself during presentation like I did with earlier Gen’s. I bought myself a G19.5MOS and dabbled in the RDS world for a bit. Ended up taking the RDS off for now, the Hackathorn sights aren’t (weren’t) made for the MOS slide so I ordered ala carte from Ameriglo and got the same basic sight picture.

I still like 1911s and revolvers but the G19 has become my traveling gun because it’s in no way special and I can Blue Label another for half the cost if it becomes evidence. It conceals well, it isn’t “odd” to most authority figures and magazines/parts/holsters are easy. I’m planning on picking up a third this year to live in the safe.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    A Glock 19 MOS is a great choice. With Holosun releasing dots that mount directly to the MOS footprint, you should be able to keep the same iron sights.
    CF: I just picked up a 19.5 MOS for this exact reason. I have about 300 rounds through the 19 and am now just waiting on the dot.

OP: I am a lifelong Glock shooter, you could say a Generation G - no real experience with handguns prior to Glocks, and I do feel the Gen 5 is the best iteration so far.

You should give the Glock a try and see if you end up liking it.

User Tag List