Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking About a Glock

Thinking About a Glock

I’ll add that if I weren’t competing with a CZ Shadow2, I would carry a G19 and use a 19 or 17 for home defense instead of P-07s
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    I believe Glocks require their own technique. What works for a 1911 doesn't work on a DA revolver. Likewise, the frustration people have trying to shoot Glocks well comes from trying to shoot them like other guns.
    This. Grip it like you're trying to crush the mag well and run the trigger like it's a DA revolver.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

IMO, the attractive long-term proposition with Glocks is the simplicity. More than probably any other platform, they are so simple and have so few parts that it is realistic for most to learn how to become their owner armorer in a relatively short period of time. They're about as utilitarian as it gets.

For a defensive gun, it's nice knowing you don't have to ever worry about the gun or care what happens to it. I'm not talking about being negligent with care and maintenance of defensive guns. Just talking about not having to worry about the finish of your $5K BBQ gun, or damaging those one of a kind exotic wood grips. No, your Glock, there are millions just like it. If something becomes damaged beyond the point of no return, buy another and your heart won't be broken. There are other competitors that come close. However, most don't have quite as few parts, are not quite as simple to fully detail strip, or don't quite have the lifespan of some components.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Glock is my least favorite handgun brand (OK, only kidding, I pretty much wouldn't touch a Springfield on a bet at this point). But, my nightstand gun is a Gen5 G19 MOS with TLR8AG, my "backpack" gun is a FM9 that feeds off Glock magazines, and my "stash gun" for my wife is a Gen5 G26. I dislike everything about Glocks, how they look, how they point, how they feel in the hand, the trigger, you name it. But I can shoot them darned near as well as my Staccato (the Shadow 2 is WAY easier to shoot), I know that I can detail strip them in a matter of seconds (literally), replace any broken parts with the most rudimentary tools, and I trust that they will ALWAYS make the banging noise when I pull the trigger.

Two months ago, I pulled the G19 out of my nightstand safe for the first range visit is well over 6 months, and ran one of the prettiest "El Prez" runs I've ever shot. There's just something about them that makes so much sense. When I had about reached my limit on waiting for the S2 OR to show up, I was on the verge of driving down to the LE distributor and picking up a Gen5 G34 MOS for a "fun gun," but the pistol spirits intervened.

This is a really long winded way of saying, "yes, buy the G19." BUT, make sure you handle the G45, G17 and G34 as well, because not everyone loves the G19's shortish grip. Oh, and ONLY buy the Gen5 version - it's that much better than previous pistols it really makes no sense to buy earlier versions unless they're restricted in your locale.
    I’ll second trying the G45/17/34 as well. Not only is the G19 grip shorter but the shape is slightly different than the 17/34/45, with the G19 grip having a more pronounced hump and the hump located slightly higher up on the back strap.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    A Glock 19 MOS is a great choice. With Holosun releasing dots that mount directly to the MOS footprint, you should be able to keep the same iron sights.
    What?? How did I miss this? Time to go check out the Holosun thread.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkguitarist View Post
    OK... now that's responding to the market. That's a pretty big deal. A C&H plate seems to negate a lot of issues with MOS. But removing another possible failure point is great.

To the original poster. Yup - Gen 5 19. Done. The Gen 5 is the best grip glock has done out of the box. Not perfect, I still did a texture job on my Gen 5 17. But if one is hesitant or wants to compete stock/SSP its still an Ok grip texture. Plus, its a near perfect carry pistol if you want "full size" performance. I have a Gen 3 with a milled 507C and its my #1 carry pistol.

Good lock on the pistol shopping!
    It was largely a response to a solicitation from U.S. Customs and Border Protection. The potential of a 50,000 unit order is a significant market force.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
    What?? How did I miss this? Time to go check out the Holosun thread.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ts-MOS-cut-out

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’ll add that if I weren’t competing with a CZ Shadow2, I would carry a G19 and use a 19 or 17 for home defense instead of P-07s

Do you prefer Glock 19s to the P-07?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Do you prefer Glock 19s to the P-07?
    I can shoot a ProGrade P-07 nearly as well as a Shadow2. I can’t touch that with a G19, in part due to familiarity. But the ergos, trigger, and dynamics of the P-07 are also significantly better in my hands.

And, I prefer the decocker-only TDA action.

Now, here’s where it gets even more subjective and controversial. IMO, the build quality and design of the P-07 (with some key aftermarket parts) are superior in terms of durability and reliability.

However, I still think the standardization and simplicity of Glocks trumps all that for most people.

For most people, is the g17/45/34 a little easier to shoot because of the hump placement?

User Tag List