Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Check those mounts!

Check those mounts!

Yesterday, while preparing for a training class, I noticed that my Acro that was mounted via a Tango Down adapter plate to MOS Glock was loose. Removing the optic, I noticed that the screws securing the plate were slightly out.
    The mount was installed about 2 years ago, and the pistol was used on and off, with not that much shooting. I would estimate 1400 rounds between installation and now.
    I retorqued mount screws and reinstalled the optic.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    Yesterday, while preparing for a training class, I noticed that my Acro that was mounted via a Tango Down adapter plate to MOS Glock was loose. Removing the optic, I noticed that the screws securing the plate were slightly out.
    The mount was installed about 2 years ago, and the pistol was used on and off, with not that much shooting. I would estimate 1400 rounds between installation and now.
    I retorqued mount screws and reinstalled the optic.
    Did you use any thread locker in the original installation?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Did you use any thread locker in the original installation?
    Honestly, I don't remember. I would say with 73% certainty that I did. They ship the mount with vibratite.

Honestly, I don't remember. I would say with 73% certainty that I did. They ship the mount with vibratite.
    Vibratite may be the problem. Seems like a common theme in posts where mounts/optics come loose.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

They ship the mount with vibratite.
    mount with vibratite.
    vibratite.
    VIBRATITE
    Vibratite is about 73% Vibra, 26% Loosena, and 1% maybe Tite if you do it perfectly and provide the appropriate rum to Jobu.

Site Supporter
    I don’t have a pistol mounted optic. But I wonder about any type of locking compound and their durability to solve a mounting situation such as on a pistol slide for longevity. The application of such compounds greatly effects the outcome of performance.

It’s really such a small area that depends on alot( the mounting) that no matter what you do it’s a failure point with certain mounting systems.

I’m not sure a optic mounted on a reciprocating slide can operate without periodic maintenance and confirmation of zero.

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    I don’t have a pistol mounted optic. But I wonder about any type of locking compound and their durability to solve a mounting situation such as on a pistol slide for longevity. The application of such compounds greatly effects the outcome of performance.

It’s really such a small area that depends on alot( the mounting) that no matter what you do it’s a failure point with certain mounting systems.

I’m not sure a optic mounted on a reciprocating slide can operate without periodic maintenance and confirmation of zero.
    Not trying to be mean... but you are speaking from a position of a complete lack of information. You are not wrong, but your statement lacks basis in fact.

• Mounting is a thing... but if one really thinks about it, it's not so different from attaching a WML or an optic to a precision rifle or not-so-precision rifle. If it's life or death do it right or find someone who does it right.
    • Threadlockers such as Loctite-248 have proven very durable over tens of thousands of rounds and at least a couple years and counting.
    • There is certainly a need for inspection, which is quick and simple... and zero confirmation via relation to BIUS is simple, quick, and consistent as well.

Failures can and do occur, as they do with other important things (engines, pacemakers, etc.) but the term "failure point" needs context to be a valid argument.

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post

No sarcasm intended, but I’m pretty sure a handgun(or any firearm) will not continually operate without maintenance. Confirmation of zero should be periodic for confidence. I try to do it at least every month to 25 yards-and a little practice!
    Mounting is a thing to check, as is the optic being “on”. Ten seconds in the morning works for me.
    Yes, it’s a failure point as are many things. @SoCalDep has some good directions on mounting.

Here's how I mount my pistol-mounted optics for work and play, and this method has kept about a dozen closed emitter (ACROs/509Ts/MPS) optics firmly in place;

-Degrease mounting screws and crossbolt screw on the optic itself.

-Thoroughly clean/degrease mounting surface on pistol.

-Apply Loctite 248 to threads on mounting screws and crossbolt. Let the Loctite cure on the screws for 30 ish mins.

-Using a torque limiter, install mounting plate per MFRs recommended specs.

-Using a fine point paint pen/sharpie, draw a small witness mark on the mounting screws/mount on both of the mounting screws.

-Install optic and tighten crossbolt per MFR's recommended specs.

-Using a fine point paint pen/sharpie, draw a small witness mark on the crossbolt/optic base.

-Set the pistol and optic combo in the safe for 24 hours and allow the Loctite to do its magic.

YMMV, of course.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 03-27-2022 at 08:47 AM.

@Kyle Reese has a solid method- no pun intended.
    Minor note: in the ACRO and Holosun manuals they note to put forward pressure (towards muzzle) before tightening the screw. I’m pretty sure I didn’t do that when I started about three years ago, but do now. Not sure if critical.
    H&K notes mounting screws should be switched out after a time.

User Tag List