Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Check those mounts!

I have only had one mounting plate come loose across six guns and a HUGE amount of rounds since 2016. I can't even begin to tell you how many rounds i've put through these pistols in that time frame. Probably upwards of 150K.

The only plate that had issues was the C&H Holosun 509 plate.

My Forward Control plates and C&H plates for my SRO's have all remained tight.

I will note that up until last year, I was using vibratite VC3 on everything with a solid degreasing routine prior to install. I would degrease the screws and let them sit. I would apply the vibratite to the screws, allowing them to sit for twenty minutes. I would degrease the plate, slide and let that sit. I would then install the screws into the plate according to the manufacturers specs.

I would then install my optic following the same pattern regarding degreasing, VC3 application and then torque to spec. The pistol would then SIT for at least twenty four hours.

As stated, I only ever had the one issue with the 509 plate and the 509 itself.

I have since switched to loctite 248 and have had zero issues since then but i've only been running that compound for about a year now.

As others have stated, there certainly is a way to semi permanently mount these plates. I find the biggest issue with the whole setup is that when you're running a plate, preventative maintenance is harder because you have to remove the optic to check your plate's screws. Given that I generally replace batteries once a year and check everything, this is more of an annoyance than a real issue.

Thanks Kyle, I had no idea you are supposed to let the loctite cure prior to installation. I assumed the opposite, and always made sure to torque down the bolts asap after applying loctite. I will be reversing that from now on.

Also, one thing that I forgot to mention is that my most used plate was actually an MOS plate on a G34. This plate had a ton of rounds on it and was mounted to the firearm from 2018 to late 2021 without any issues. It has since been replaced by a forward controls plate for no other reason than I like burning money. I am pretty sure that plate could have lasted many more years and rounds without issue. When it was removed it broke free with the same amount of torque (slightly more) I used to originally apply it.

Super cool.

Made in anger awhile back because I can't stand when manufacturers don't release precise specifications for what is intended to, or purported to, be a critical-use product.

Name:  vibra-tite-loctite-meme.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  60.5 KB

Another data point here... installed a CHPWS ACRO plate on a G17.5 MOS using Vibratite—in accordance with the instructions, including degreasing hardware and slide and allowing VC3 cure time before installing the screws—and properly torqued. Three range trips and 548 rounds later, I noticed the plate rattling on the slide. Both screws had backed out. Back to Loctite...

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Thanks Kyle, I had no idea you are supposed to let the loctite cure prior to installation. I assumed the opposite, and always made sure to torque down the bolts asap after applying loctite. I will be reversing that from now on.
    You actually don’t, at least from my research. Per the information supplied by the manufacturer at Henkel.com, Loctite 248 is an “anaerobic thread locking material” which cured “in the absence of air when confined between close fitting metal surfaces”.

VC-3 needs time prior to installation to cure… to maybe work.

Loctite (at least the 243 and 248) does not.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Vibratite is about 73% Vibra, 26% Loosena, and 1% maybe Tite if you do it perfectly and provide the appropriate rum to Jobu.
    Jobu needs a refill!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

FWIW, I thought I’d share my experience with mounting an SRO on my STI. The gun has a cut for a plate and the plate accepts the SRO or RMR. I used blue locktite on the plate screws and the SRO screws. After about 200 rounds, the plate screws started to loosen. I disassembled the the setup, cleaned everything up, and re-assembled with blue. But it loosened again!

I sent the gun back to STI to make sure the slide cut was completely flat. When I got it back and mounted everything again, the plate still came loose after a few hundred rounds. Someone suggested that I bed the plate to slide with a thin layer of locktite. I gave it a shot and it hasn’t moved yet, but I’ve only put about 200 rounds since.

Someone suggested that the cause might be the added weight of the SRO that caused the plate to come loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    FWIW, I thought I’d share my experience with mounting an SRO on my STI. The gun has a cut for a plate and the plate accepts the SRO or RMR. I used blue locktite on the plate screws and the SRO screws. After about 200 rounds, the plate screws started to loosen. I disassembled the the setup, cleaned everything up, and re-assembled with blue. But it loosened again!

I sent the gun back to STI to make sure the slide cut was completely flat. When I got it back and mounted everything again, the plate still came loose after a few hundred rounds. Someone suggested that I bed the plate to slide with a thin layer of locktite. I gave it a shot and it hasn’t moved yet, but I’ve only put about 200 rounds since.

Someone suggested that the cause might be the added weight of the SRO that caused the plate to come loose.
    Out of curiosity, what plate were you using (Factory/Dawson or C&H)? Also, was the Loctite the liquid 242? Lastly, people tend to run 1911s, and especially 9mm 1911s wet. Did you degrease prior to install?

I cleaned all surfaces with rubbing alcohol and even hit the threads with a bronze brush. I was using the factory DUO plate to mount the SRO with liquid blue.

I even picked up a tube of ROCKSET to bed the plate in case the blue didn’t hold. I figured I’d always have a red dot on the gun, so a semi permanent mounting plate wouldn’t be out of question. I haven’t had to resort to the ROCKSET yet.

User Tag List