Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub chat

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Details on the maker (who, where, etc) and would he be willing to make one for an LCR?

Chris
    Jason Fleming, based out of Hickory, NC.

Here is his Etsy shop.

Here is his account on Instagram (@chiefsholsters).

I have several of his holsters and have been very satisfied with the quality of his work, his time to produce, and his flexibility on custom requests.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    Jason Fleming, based out of Hickory, NC.

Here is his Etsy shop.

Here is his account on Instagram (@chiefsholsters).

I have several of his holsters and have been very satisfied with the quality of his work, his time to produce, and his flexibility on custom requests.
    I've been daydreaming about a Colt Night Cobra and poking around at the meager holster selections for it. Those look like amazingly well thought out AIWB leather holsters compared to most of what I've been seeing. The ability to use a Modwing and DCC clip is very attractive.

The local match added backup guns to the stages. So the first 6 rounds were fired from your bug then it was dumped in a bucket.

I shot it with a 2" m10 and feel it's like shooting a Lazer sometimes. I missed very few As.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I shot it with a 2" m10 and feel it's like shooting a Lazer sometimes.
    Had mine out to shake the rust off over the weekend. Hiked a mile out in the heat, set up a couple targets, ran some simple 5-10 yard drills with the daily carry snubs, and then backed off to 25 yards and took a knee.

The 2" Model 10, firing DOA from an unsupported kneeling gave me a 4.5" six-shot group. I'd forgotten to turn off my timer and splits were running about a second when I was done and remembered to turn it off.

Ammo was 158 grain SWC over 3.8 grains of Bullseye, loaded in 1980. Bought at a garage sale as a local machinist finally went into a home. Hats off to his old +P recipe.

Site Supporter
    The conventional wisdom is that older snubs are registered for the 158-grain ammo that was standard in their day. This is certainly the case for my S&W M49 no-dash, while my M642-2 shoots to POA with 125-130-grain ammo.

A while back I picked up an early Colt third issue Detective Special. Its serial number puts it in the '72-'73 production time frame. I had assumed that it should shoot to POA with 158-grain ammo but I never benched it. That changed today; I took the DS and my 3" M10-7 to the range with some of my 125- and 158-grain practice ammo to make sure I was running the right ammo in them.

Results: at ten yards, the DS hit to vertical POA but an inch left with the 125-grain stuff, putting four rounds in the same hole and the other two close by; the M10 was a hair high but centered with the 158-grain ammo, with five rounds touching and the other close by. Yup, in this case, "assume" was an acronym.

For the foreseeable future, the DS and 642 will be carried with the Ranger Bonded (RA38B) load, while the M49 and my K frames will stay with the R-P 158-grain LSWC-HP.

Took my 642-1 out last evening to fire a few cylinders and try reloads with my modified Hideout stocks. First cylinder fired as expected. Second cylinder fired one shot and not the other 4. Round that fired had normal furing pin divot in the primer. The other 4 had tiny divots like the firing pin is just kissing the primer.

Disassembly did not uncover any smoking guns. I cleaned out the firing pin channel with cleaner and a q-tip. First few Q-tips were pretty dirty with some fine metal dust visible. After cleaning, the firing pin seemed to move more freely, maybe. I'll test it this evening. Kind of disconcerting.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Did you install reduced power springs in that?

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Did you install reduced power springs in that?
    Yes I did. The Apex 103-106 Carry/Duty kit.
    Last edited by Irelander; 07-19-2022 at 12:21 PM.

When fired, a case is shoved back into the breach/recoil plate/whatever we want to call it whule the firing pin is still protruding. All of your firing pin strikes were light, that one just got some fireforming, as well.

Sounds like reduced power hammer spring + dirty firing pin channel added up to a bother. It is also possible that you were using ammunition with hard primers to further stress the tolerance stack.

Less likely possibility is a damaged firing pin.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    When fired, a case is shoved back into the breach/recoil plate/whatever we want to call it whule the firing pin is still protruding. All of your firing pin strikes were light, that one just got some fireforming, as well.

Sounds like reduced power hammer spring + dirty firing pin channel added up to a bother. It is also possible that you were using ammunition with hard primers to further stress the tolerance stack.

Less likely possibility is a damaged firing pin.
    I was shooting Remington ammo. The first cylinder was Winchester and the problem cylinder was Remington. Remington is known for hard primers so I'm guessing a dirty firing pin channel and stuff primers was the issue. Everything ran good this evening with Winchester ammo.

User Tag List