Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub chat

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Thx. Might take you up on it, but I'm trying to decide if I want to go that route or the laser cartridges. The latter would let me dryfire practice while at my desk (WFH) on conference calls (other attendees: "What's that clickin' noise?").

Chris
    Go laser instead. That way you can use your actual firearm. The Airsoft would be for FOF or if you were going to point at another human. Or doing something where you couldn’t see your laser (like super close distance, but you’re not going to miss at those ranges I think).

Sounds good...

Name:  642 & edc2.jpg
Views: 1549
Size:  54.9 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Outdoor Limited has quite a bit of 32 SW Long. I bought a slew for my 432. Don't know why SW doesn't do a run of them, given the LCR seems popular. Maybe working on a 327 J ? The 632 is a great gun but not a snub - hammer, comp'ed SS, 3 inch barrel. There is a hammerless SS version that is quite rare.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Outdoor Limited has quite a bit of 32 SW Long. I bought a slew for my 432. Don't know why SW doesn't do a run of them, given the LCR seems popular. Maybe working on a 327 J ? The 632 is a great gun but not a snub - hammer, comp'ed SS, 3 inch barrel. There is a hammerless SS version that is quite rare.
    I was speaking more about brick and mortar store availability. And...holy crap is the Outdoor Limited website annoying. The number of interstitial popups telling me I've qualified for this discount or another or telling me I need to validate my age by providing an email address? Eff that.

And before anyone says it might be a virus or something, these were OL-branded interruptions.

Chris

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    This tags along with me more often than not these days. Getting old - and all the happy horses**t that goes along with it - has an uncanny way of shuffling priorities. This thing is loose. It was born loose, and has not miraculously tightened up with time. The forcing cone leads up just sitting in the drawer. The cylinder stop notches are peened so that it looks like I have been practicing Miculek-level DA work for decades. It also came with the sharpest edges I have ever seen/felt on a Ruger revolver; it literally cut my hands until I took an old Arkansas stone to it.

Nonetheless, it has always been reliable, and of all the firearms that have entered and exited my custody in the last 50 years, I consider it the one most likely to work when I need it. Back when Ruger cataloged this particular spurless/CTC-gripped variant, I paid what seemed like an awful lot of money for it. Nowadays, I have to conclude that it was not such a bad deal. Is it perfect? No. Like me, it has some bad features along with some good ones.

It is a boat anchor (weight-wise), but on the other hand it is eminently controllable and unpunishing (unless I stuff mid-range or higher .357 loads in it).

The rear "sight" sucks. If an SP101 ever needed the Novak-style rears as used on the "Clapp style" 101s, this one does. The factory front blade sucked too, but I replaced it with a (now-discontinued) Trijicon sight. For my purposes, the current sighting equipment works but is not as user-friendly as it could be.

I have tried other grips to aid in concealment, yet I still come back to these despite not really needing or using the laser feature. They "feel" right and "work" right for my hands.

It is usually toted in a DeSantis "SuperFly" pocket holster, but I do use a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar pancake on occasion. I have had no issues with either holster.

In short, it makes a pretty good defensive snub for this old cat... and if the sights were more up to date, it would not be a bad fun/plinking/kit gun. If I was King of Ruger, I'd catalog the exact same revolver, but with a "Clapp style" sighting system.

Name:  SP101DAO.jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  83.6 KB
    Last edited by gato naranja; 03-26-2022 at 09:17 AM.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am curious what folks think of Rhett's video on the LCR 22. I really like the LCR .22, but I think the LCR .327 is very attractive.

I’m generally supportive and agree with a lot of what he’s stating.

I think think that modern non-bulk pack rim fire ammo is quite reliable. I can’t recall ever having a CCI Mini Mag not go bang. Bulk pack is a different story. Like he hinted to, I’ve had plenty of issues with Winchester White Box including deeply set bullets, inverted primers, split cases (unfired). I think “unreliable” is a non-starter. The discussion on case length and extraction is one of the reasons I carry .38spl in my SP101.

I will take his discussion on reset even further.

I’d like to hear from the old skool guys here how often “failure to reset” actually occurred “back in the day”. Both in quals and on the street. It’s *my opinion* that a lot of this issue is driven by the present day quest for “split times” and rate of fire over accuracy. Thank you Glock. A few years back, I had a HORRIBLE experience in a pistol class. I walked out. This particular instructor cared nothing about accuracy. It was all about how fast you could pull the trigger.

The wife has got very serious about carrying as of late. Not a gun person. I’ve stopped more than one time to stare at a .22 LCR sitting behind the glass. Maybe it’s time.

Edit to add after reading the above post:

I agree wholeheartedly on the sights. That brass bead doesn’t cut it for me anymore. Instead of taking a q-tip and Brasso to it every other week, I need to toss a nice red fiber optic blade on it.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

In case you haven’t run across these sites yet @GJM:

Snub Gun Study Group

RevolverGuy.com

I’m really thinking on a .38 LCR to replace the 442 but I just haven’t talked myself into yet.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    In case you haven’t run across these sites yet @GJM:

Snub Gun Study Group

RevolverGuy.com

I’m really thinking on a .38 LCR to replace the 442 but I just haven’t talked myself into yet.
    Revolverguy is a great site. Mike is a friend of mine (along with a few others here I suspect &#128513
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

@entropy

Never had a problem with a trigger on any Model 15, 36 or 19 I carried on or off duty between 1983 and 1996, (whether primary or backup)...nor in the last few years with a 642-1.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I’m generally supportive and agree with a lot of what he’s stating.

I think think that modern non-bulk pack rim fire ammo is quite reliable. I can’t recall ever having a CCI Mini Mag not go bang. Bulk pack is a different story. Like he hinted to, I’ve had plenty of issues with Winchester White Box including deeply set bullets, inverted primers, split cases (unfired). I think “unreliable” is a non-starter. The discussion on case length and extraction is one of the reasons I carry .38spl in my SP101.

I will take his discussion on reset even further.

I’d like to hear from the old skool guys here how often “failure to reset” actually occurred “back in the day”. Both in quals and on the street. It’s *my opinion* that a lot of this issue is driven by the present day quest for “split times” and rate of fire over accuracy. Thank you Glock. A few years back, I had a HORRIBLE experience in a pistol class. I walked out. This particular instructor cared nothing about accuracy. It was all about how fast you could pull the trigger.

The wife has got very serious about carrying as of late. Not a gun person. I’ve stopped more than one time to stare at a .22 LCR sitting behind the glass. Maybe it’s time.

Edit to add after reading the above post:

I agree wholeheartedly on the sights. That brass bead doesn’t cut it for me anymore. Instead of taking a q-tip and Brasso to it every other week, I need to toss a nice red fiber optic blade on it.
    I may just have bad luck, but the first cylinder of Punch I shot in the LCR .22, the second round of Punch didn't light off.

One other point on 22 vs other snubs, the .22 revolvers seem to have heavier triggers than the .32/.38 triggers.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List