Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub chat

I carry a 442/642 no lock more than anything else. Sometimes a 36 (with bobbed hammer), 49, 640 Pro. I don't generaly like new S&Ws for a variety of reasons, but I will give credit where credit is due. My older J-frames needed shims and had other issues. Newer 442/642s needed nothing.

Crimson Trace (LG105 & 405 depending on your preference) lasers are a very worthwhile addition especially with aging eyes. I have them on my EDCs.

Preferred holsters: Dark Star Gear for AIWB. Doesn't even require a belt. Pocket carry (usual) Kramer, Mika, A-holster, Safariland depending on your preferences. Phlster Enigma for non-permissive environments (but a SIG P365 MS is better in that role IMO).

Preferred ammo is Federal Gold Medal 38 Special Ammo 148 Grain Match Wadcutter & Speer Gold Dot Short-Barrel 135-grain JHP +P.

I've recently had a few experiences making me aware that the old days of one or two bad guys are probably gone and J-frame becoming more of a second gun (like everyone I have lazy days and take shortcuts).

Also, following shoulder surgery if you have a pocket holster for off hand carry or a phlster city special (or other ambitious) you are still up and running.

Site Supporter
    I've been a snubnose CCWer for virtually the entire time I could legally CCW (going on 22 years now). Being the first centerfire handgun I ever fired (S&W M60 while in college), snubs imprinted on me like a baby duck.

I started off with a vintage flat-latch 36, then switched to a new M37 (the one released around 2005 without the lock and with the factory bobbed hammer), and finally with the Ruger LCR around 2019. I live a pretty low-key life in the 'burbs, don't have a LEO background, and generally avoid doing stupid things with stupid people in stupid places so a 5-shot revolver works (I'm pretty boring TBH). I've tried more "appropriate" guns, but it always felt more like an affectation rather than a necessity, so I keep coming back to the gun that works all the time no matter how I'm dressed or what I'm doing.

I greatly prefer the LCR due to the superior sights, superior trigger, and better ergonomics. It just works better for me. I bought mine with a red fiber-optic sight, but switched to the tritium sight a couple years ago. Grips are the original factory rubber finger-groove grips, which work great for me. I carry Buffalo Bore wadcutters with a speedloader of Speer 135gr "short barrel" rounds.

Method of carry is almost always AIWB, but mostly pocket carry before I discovered AIWB. The J-frame rode in a Darkstar Apollo holster, but the LCR rides in a generic model I found on ebay and modified a bit after discovering the LCR version of the Apollo I used with my J-frame wasn't at all comfortable.

M37-2:
    Name:  S&W_37-2.jpg
Views: 1684
Size:  40.1 KB

Ruger LCR (old pic with fiber sight):
    Name:  Social_Distancing_EDC.jpg
Views: 1696
Size:  31.8 KB

Ruger LCR and current EDC:
    Name:  IMG_20210430_061707799.jpg
Views: 1670
Size:  52.4 KB

@JCN More info about the laser cartridges and the airsoft j-frame please.

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 03-26-2022 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    @JCN More info about the laser cartridges and the airsoft j-frame please.

Chris
    Sure, the laser cartridges are cheap eBay specials.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203662021804

The same thing could be done with laser grips, but I personally don’t like laser grips for a couple of reasons. YMMV.

The Airsoft gun I ordered online.

Name:  75F0C96D-4F02-4039-AEE6-A184CFF8BFEE.jpg
Views: 1632
Size:  19.3 KB

Uses green gas in the cylinder.

Name:  F7A74049-D9B5-47D5-B7B6-7A66BE0DF5A0.jpg
Views: 1623
Size:  24.0 KB

The front side of the cylinder holds BBs in one chamber reservoir and that feeds each other cylinder as it rotates.

Name:  B4F44AE9-C7ED-4B25-9E06-4326EF6974DE.jpg
Views: 1654
Size:  53.3 KB

Trigger is pretty smooth.

I don’t remember where I ordered it from.

A significant value of pocket revolver is the ability to stage hand on the grip like BBI said. From his database, it was very effective in that role. That may involve some retention shooting.

I eventually evolved into frangible 38 special on close steel to work things.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Sure, the laser cartridges are cheap eBay specials.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203662021804

The same thing could be done with laser grips, but I personally don’t like laser grips for a couple of reasons. YMMV.

The Airsoft gun I ordered online.

Uses green gas in the cylinder.

The front side of the cylinder holds BBs in one chamber reservoir and that feeds each other cylinder as it rotates.

Trigger is pretty smooth.

I don’t remember where I ordered it from.

Thanks! Now that I know the revolver exists, I can hunt around for it. I've found a couple versions, but they're OOS.

As for using laser grips, I tried the same (as shown on my 37-2 pic above) and also didn't like them. One problem was that I couldn't see the damn dot when shooting outdoors, rendering them useless. But, the laser cartridges for indoor practice would be nifty.

Chris

I am curious what folks think of Rhett's video on the LCR 22. I really like the LCR .22, but I think the LCR .327 is very attractive.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I shot snubs yesterday.

Federal .22 Punch was well regulated in my LCR. This is at 10 yards.

Name:  FBD71F87-BE73-4D22-A671-F8467060E79F.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  29.0 KB

Fiocchi .32 100 grain wadcutters in the LCR .327 at 10 yards.

Name:  4041F434-6567-4EE1-AEF5-95ADCE31505C.jpg
Views: 1648
Size:  39.4 KB

Shot the LCR .327 to 25 yards with good results. Sights hit where I want.

My DL sighted 337.

Name:  68B5C3FB-1149-4089-AA82-878517A4174D.jpg
Views: 1624
Size:  36.3 KB

With that revolver, five shots at ten and five at 25 yards. Not sure about that one flyer to the left at 25, lousy press!

Name:  601A34C5-C0C3-4403-B4D6-B1DE90857CC5.jpg
Views: 1649
Size:  31.0 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Thanks! Now that I know the revolver exists, I can hunt around for it. I've found a couple versions, but they're OOS.

As for using laser grips, I tried the same (as shown on my 37-2 pic above) and also didn't like them. One problem was that I couldn't see the damn dot when shooting outdoors, rendering them useless. But, the laser cartridges for indoor practice would be nifty.

Chris
    I’m not using my Airsoft one so if you want to borrow it, let me know.

Site Supporter
    I'll play - for historical purposes, here's some AAR on Claude Werner's class:

https://blog.hsoi.com/2010/03/01/aar...claude-werner/

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32285

Also mine is found at: https://pistol-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-41988.html As mentioned, the article and pictures are behind a wall or vanished from Concealed Carry Magazine. I had a pdf somewhere but who knows.

Historically again - an AAR on a short range match with a 642 - https://pistol-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-21336.html

I intend to shoot the 642 in about a month's time in another small gun carry match. See how that goes.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am curious what folks think of Rhett's video on the LCR 22. I really like the LCR .22, but I think the LCR .327 is very attractive.
    It was an interesting take. If you look at snubnose revolvers as "get off me" weapons, I don't think he's entirely wrong. That said, given BBI's statements about ammo capacity in the shootings he's investigated, it seems a moot point. He (Rhett) also makes a good point about modern ammo reliability. Even bulk-pack stuff is more reliable now than it was a couple decades ago.

I wouldn't replace my LCR38 with the LCR22, but if I were new to CCW and wanted a snubnose revolver, the LCR22 with good ammo wouldn't be the worst choice (assuming lifestyle risk assessment doesn't indicate otherwise). 22lr would mean much more practice shooting ability, which would contribute to the gun becoming an extension of one's self.

The nice thing about the LCR 327 is you could shoot 32SWLs, which are nice and soft shooting. Of course, finding factory ammo in that chambering is tough, but I cast and load my own so nyah nyah.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I’m not using my Airsoft one so if you want to borrow it, let me know.
    Thx. Might take you up on it, but I'm trying to decide if I want to go that route or the laser cartridges. The latter would let me dryfire practice while at my desk (WFH) on conference calls (other attendees: "What's that clickin' noise?").

Chris

User Tag List