Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub chat

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    My 637, with a few shot shells for some turkey scouting in a Florida swamp.[/ATTACH]

I have a bobbed hammer (well, 442 hammer. Same-same) and some orange paint on my front sight ramp.

Are there any options similar to D&L for sights that coyld be done with my front ramp?
    This is my 28 year old 442. Hamilton Bowen did this conversion years ago. I no longer see it on the web site. You could email them to check.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
    This is my 28 year old 442. Hamilton Bowen did this conversion years ago. I no longer see it on the web site. You could email them to check.
    Bowen no longer works on Smith and Wessons, and if his shop responds they will refer you to Cylinder and Slide.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    ...Chris Baker has a video in which a Vietnam Vet Green Beret argues that civilians only need enough power to break contact.
    My hackles instantly rose when I saw this. As credentials go, being a former Green Beret is pretty weak unless you're talking about a very specific type of warfare. It's a parlor trick at best and much more often a very dangerous distraction from the matter at hand.

Then I saw it was Claude Werner and I calmed down enough to listen to what he had to say. His argument is strong, and much data that comes from other sources, including posters here with real-world experience, seems to back it up.

I'll ponder it but I'm not quite ready to trade my G19 for a Beretta 21A.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    My hackles instantly rose when I saw this. As credentials go, being a former Green Beret is pretty weak unless you're talking about a very specific type of warfare. It's a parlor trick at best and much more often a very dangerous distraction from the matter at hand.

Then I saw it was Claude Werner and I calmed down enough to listen to what he had to say. His argument is strong, and much data that comes from other sources, including posters here with real-world experience, seems to back it up.

I'll ponder it but I'm not quite ready to trade my G19 for a Beretta 21A.

Okie John
    I could tell a story but I will leave out some names as to not get anyone mad. A number of years ago at Rangemaster Tactical Conference (back when it was still actually at the Rangemaster facilities), I was sitting in on one of Claude's presentations and he was talking about using .22's for self defense. There were also a couple of guys there that are well respected here (they were also presenting), they gave each other an incredulous look and I thought they were going to fall out of their chairs. Interestingly enough Claude is so good at explaining himself and his reasons that he often begrudgingly wins people over. At least part of the way.

Site Supporter
    One thing's for certain...
    This thread has me wanting an LCR22 again.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    One thing's for certain...
    This thread has me wanting an LCR22 again.

Chris
    LGS had one when I went in yesterday. And a 617 and an M17.

Still had when I left, but the 17 sure is pretty.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    LGS had one when I went in yesterday. And a 617 and an M17.

Still had when I left, but the 17 sure is pretty.
    I need to get a few out of the safe first. As for the 17, I already have one of those.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I could tell a story but I will leave out some names as to not get anyone mad. A number of years ago at Rangemaster Tactical Conference (back when it was still actually at the Rangemaster facilities), I was sitting in on one of Claude's presentations and he was talking about using .22's for self defense. There were also a couple of guys there that are well respected here (they were also presenting), they gave each other an incredulous look and I thought they were going to fall out of their chairs. Interestingly enough Claude is so good at explaining himself and his reasons that he often begrudgingly wins people over. At least part of the way.
    I think everything I have ever heard him say has 100% worth listening to, and giving due consideration. I would regard his advocacy for a .22 snub as "not wrong," but I won't be going that way any time soon.

I have quite a few guns right now, to the point they feel more of a burden than an asset sometimes. Buying more would certainly be an increase in decreasing marginal utility. I may divest of some plastic people poppers, and either put the money into other things, or acquire net fewer guns than I own now.

On the very short list of guns I would consider acquiring are some .22 revolvers.

I'd like a 3" or 4" .22 revolver with adjustable sights as a practice tool, which is not quite what Claude is talking about. Taurus makes a couple that actually LOOK nice, but I have a hard time convincing myself It'l Be Different This Time.™ That pretty much leaves me with the SP101.

All of my current and immediate firearms needs are met, but over the next few years I may horse trade my way into things that would be useful in my later years. I have mild hand arthritis, and I wonder if there would be any real benefit to a .22 snubby over my 22 oz 640 Pro with wadcutter ammo. The recoil would be less even than a .38 with wadcutters, but I think that advantage might be offset by the fact you just can't get as low of a trigger weight on a rimfire revolver as a centerfire.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Name:  IMG_4435.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  27.8 KB

A photo to go with yesterdays post: The M&P340 with wadcutters, SBGD's in a speed strip, and the King Cobra with Barnes 357 140gr XPB in the speedloader; because the KC is often my trail gun, it typically gets a non-lead load to keep the CDFW wardens happy.

This morning I went on a short local hike, just a mile on some BLM land on the coast just five minutes from here. It's a fairly heavily used trail, probably more tourists than locals; when there's time I usually go to the next trailhead as do most locals, single-lane road in not the greatest shape to get to that one discourages most of the tourists. But today was intended as an easy recovery hike after a long fast hard steep one elsewhere the other day. So on the way out the door I grabbed the M&P340 and dropped it in a jacket pocket. Very low risk on this trail, although there was one guy who seemed to have less than total control of his large dog so there's always that.

Thinking more on the 22LR question, like many I've only shot relatively small critters with that round. When a clean head shot wasn't practical, some of those critters took a few steps before going down. At the moment I'm skeptical.

Model 34

I do have this boat anchor of a 22LR just collecting dust here.

Name:  32A75C3E-C2F3-41BD-9B26-8BF2716E3492.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  56.2 KB

But rimfire triggers are really heavy to help ignition and it just seems like a lot to trade off.

User Tag List