Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950

Thread: Snub chat

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    I never hear anyone talking about the Mika IWB rigs. Any chance I can talk you into a more detailed post about that one?
    Not Chuck and I am sure he will comment but about 10 years ago I switched to Mika's for all my pocket holsters. Previously I had some nice leather ones but they all used the "push off" design that requires you to physically push the holster with your thumb during the draw to help separate the holster. Mike has a very open top with a liner sewn in that keeps it open at the top, some material on the sides that is grippy enough to insure the holster does not come out with the gun. It is bascially a zero resistance draw in terms of the holster itself.

That paradigm simply works much better for me. Bonus is Bob Mika is a great guy, prompt services, cares about and listens to his customers (actually takes time to call each one).

The DeSantis pocket holsters are similar in concept, but they lack that hold open band that makes drawing so frictionless and reholstering easier.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Everything that fatdog said is spot on.

https://mikaspocketholsters.com/prod...tband-holster/

Essentially it is one of his pocket holsters with a metal clip sewn to the outside, although my example is a little thicker/sturdier than the pocket version.

I had him make me pocket, vest, and IWB holsters for my LCR, but the LCR got traded off. My SP101 and 856 fit in them.

I originally got the IWB to experiment with a snub AIWB. It's comfy, but noticeably thicker than a leather or kydex IWB.

Name:  IMG_20240214_104122731_HDR[1].jpg
Views: 237
Size:  43.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20240214_104135920_HDR[1].jpg
Views: 240
Size:  36.8 KB
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

S&W needs to pay attention. Look at how much nicer the 43c, 351, M&P 340 sights are than stock models. Heck put those lipseys on more, offer, the high horns as aftermarket. Imagine an interchangeable front, different heights, fiber, glow dot etc. heck even just a u notch, maybe a v notch express interchangeable rear blade adjustable for windage like on the Taurus .22s.

I remember when S&W was on fire with little Js, back in early 2005? They were bringing out so many variations, ported, 2.5” versions, pro series, etc.

I would like to see S&W better the Taurus view/no view snub, with a bit better grip, maybe fill in the sinus. But use a shootable caliber like .22 Mag, .32.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Not Chuck and I am sure he will comment but about 10 years ago I switched to Mika's for all my pocket holsters. Previously I had some nice leather ones but they all used the "push off" design that requires you to physically push the holster with your thumb during the draw to help separate the holster. Mike has a very open top with a liner sewn in that keeps it open at the top, some material on the sides that is grippy enough to insure the holster does not come out with the gun. It is bascially a zero resistance draw in terms of the holster itself.

That paradigm simply works much better for me. Bonus is Bob Mika is a great guy, prompt services, cares about and listens to his customers (actually takes time to call each one).

The DeSantis pocket holsters are similar in concept, but they lack that hold open band that makes drawing so frictionless and reholstering easier.
    I agree with this, they are the fastest/slickest pocket holster I have tried. And for some jobs I've had in past, like night manager at hotel I might still chose one.

But for my general use I switched away from them because they didn't have enough retention for positions beyond normal sitting and standing. My J frame came out of holster and pocket when I had to crawl under my car (unplanned event starter acted up and couple raps on it let me get car started to get home and I replaced starter ASAP). No one at the gas station noticed since I was under the car when it happened.

But at the time I was driving a lot for work with my personal cars, and despite staying on top of maintenance stuff still sometimes broke while on the road, and while it was legal for me to carry at my job if I had been spotted it would have cost me the job. Since it was against policy.

I switched to Kramer pocket holsters for my Glocks, and hmm can't remember what brand my J frame pocket holster is, I've had that for close to 30 years. But all my current pocket holster hold the guns pretty securely via friction and/or slight clam shell grip.

User Tag List