Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub chat

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    8 pound
    Let's hear more about proper storage of premium 22 ammo like for example Federal Punch.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I just can’t get past the idea of a .22 as primary. Don’t get me wrong, it’s way better than stink eye and a sharp word, but if a .22LR snub was the correct answer, generations of savvy pros would have carried them over the last damn near 75-100 years (reference nod to the 36 and DS, respectively), and the 5-shot (or 6, if we must) snub wouldn’t be the enduring, cliched (in a great way) serious-tool thing that it is.

JMO.

As to failure to manage the reset and short-stroking one’s self out of a valuable round, I have done that with both an LCR and one or the other of the 3 (!) new Colt Cobras that I’ve owned. I’ve never had a failure—even in class or competition—with a K or J frame though. Like the 1911, the new-gen uber snubs require dedicated users. Again, there is a reason that the boring old J-frame—complete with old-school trigger—is *still* in production.

So, I no longer have the new Colts, Kimbers, or LCRs—and I’ve had plenty. My favorite wheelie right now is the 640 pro, because: proven centenial design with adult sights. Plus, I have an admirable—by today’s standards—stash of both 135 GDHP .357 short barrel and Remington Golden Saber mid range, to say nothing of hundreds of rounds of several great .38 loadings. I’m personally good without the LCR .22.

Although, I sort of still want one, just because current ammo pricing and availability says it would pay for itself. [/shrug]

Think I have asked you this before, but...

How does an SP101 and a K6 compare to an LCR regarding short stroking the trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Think I have asked you this before, but...

How does an SP101 and a K6 compare to an LCR regarding short stroking the trigger?
    I’ve only owned 1 SP101, but I shot it a lot. Stone reliable, both the gun, and my finger.

I have short stroked a K6S, but only when coming off of shooting another snub. Probability of short stroking (IMHO): LCR > Colt Cobra > K6S > older guns, eg. J/K, SP, Speed Six…

FWIW, OMMV, etc.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I sense the need for GJM to carry it for a season in AK as his primary. Lol

My SP has never short stroked. Or...better put...I’ve never short stroked my SP.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I look at the j, regardless of caliber, as a get off me tool. (I believe a knife fills that role also.... Sometimes even better).

But I look at it as a potential get off me tool for an animal (think dog). I would much prefer a staple gun that provided 35 caliber crush cavities (.38 full wad cutter) than 13 caliber crush cavities (.22) if I needed to dispatch something that I couldn't demotivate. And yes I understand bullets are opportunities but there is a decreasing rate of return. YMMV

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    I look at the j, regardless of caliber, as a get off me tool. (I believe a knife fills that role also.... Sometimes even better).

But I look at it as a potential get off me tool for an animal (think dog). I would much prefer a staple gun that provided 35 caliber crush cavities (.38 full wad cutter) than 13 caliber crush cavities (.22) if I needed to dispatch something that I couldn't demotivate. And yes I understand bullets are opportunities but there is a decreasing rate of return. YMMV

A knife is a much more specialized tool requiring a much higher degree of training to be proficient and to keep that proficiency. JMO
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Let's hear more about proper storage of premium 22 ammo like for example Federal Punch.
    I don’t have any experience with the Federal Punch but I would assume it’s the same as the CCI Stingers and Velocitors. I use up my carry ammo pretty regularly. I try to make it a point to fire the 14 rounds I carry on me, (8 in the pistol and six in a Tuff Strip) every time I go to the range. I had a pretty good run of no failures with the premium ammo until I was working a steady stream of odd hours, which killed my motivation and I didn’t make it to the range for a couple months. That’s when I had the failures to fire. Best guess was all the knocking around of the gun while in my pocket at work and maybe humidity.

Anyways I store my in a climate controlled area, roughly 70F and low humidity. The ammo that gets carried gets shot. That does make for a pretty high turnover but I can still buy 100 rounds of Stingers for less money that one box of 9mm ball, so the math works out IMO. I keep a box of Stingers in my emergency kit. Those usually get shot up on a six month rotation and replaced.

Out of my gun, I get the same size groups at 15 yards with Velocitors and Stingers. That’s the furthest distance I can reliably make head shots on an IDPA or USPSA target. Any distance past that and I have to rethink my plans for the next few moments. I only mention that because it has been difficult lately to get either ammo reliably. It’s nice to know that they group similarly.

I hope that answered your question even with all the tangents.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I quit pocketing a 642 because of the weight (about a pound loaded), but I’m now pocketing a 340PD with Hogue Bantams and wadcutters. Losing a few ounces made a huge difference with wearability in office pants.

I tried running a City Special with the 340PD and had to send it back. There was no way to run it without the “wing,” and the combo of the wing with the tiny boot grip meant the revolver was rotating cylinder-out—pivoting around the end of the boot grips—very prominently. I could see the holster working better with a fuller/longer grip, but it was completely unusable with the Bantams. The gun was presented vertically, with a high-ish ride, and rotated some 30 degrees inward. It created a very awkward wrist angle for the draw.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    But I look at it as a potential get off me tool for an animal (think dog).
    Input from acquaintances who dealt all too frequently with dirtheads' dogs is part of what led me to a spurless snub in .38/.357.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Input from acquaintances who dealt all too frequently with dirtheads' dogs is part of what led me to a spurless snub in .38/.357.
    Theres a story in media right now about a lady out walking and attacked by two pit bulls. Both arms amputated and spleen removed. A guy fired his gun to scare the dogs off.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List