Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub chat

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Every area is different so I can only speak for my experience. My development is large and has a huge pet population. Some families have 2, 3, 4 dogs. All kinds of dogs, from little mouse size dogs to Great Danes. Winter time I try to just get the walk over with but when it's good weather we usually do at least 2 miles in the evening.

Everyone walks their dogs on a leash and in 12 years of 3x day walks I have never had a problem with another dog. When people walking their pets pass each other they go around or someone steps aside and let's the other pass ....kinda depends on where you are on the walking path at that moment.

Sure some dogs don't like each other, even from a distance, but nothing worse than a growl or a bark. People are generally friendly. There's always a "hello" or a "thanks" or a nod. Generally here I'm more concerned about the housewife arguing with the kids, or holding her dog, while flying down the side road in her new G-Wagon or Tesla or whatever the most coolest and biggest SUV is today. Or the neighbor up the road who loves to rev his Lamborghini and scares the crap out of my dog, who then tries to run away. I'm more concerned about that than a dog attacking my dog.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Generally, this area is the same, which I'm very grateful for. Most dog owners here are great, and make the effort to keep their dogs under control or just avoid situations where they'll have problems to begin with. But there are always at least a few that aren't on board - unfortunately my dog has already been attacked and bitten once, and even though that specific instance was thankfully not a lethal force problem, it is a concern. If nothing else, I think the population of German and Dutch shepherd types here exceeds the percentage of the population who are competent owners and trainers of such dogs...

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Generally, this area is the same, which I'm very grateful for. Most dog owners here are great, and make the effort to keep their dogs under control or just avoid situations where they'll have problems to begin with. But there are always at least a few that aren't on board - unfortunately my dog has already been attacked and bitten once, and even though that specific instance was thankfully not a lethal force problem, it is a concern. If nothing else, I think the population of German and Dutch shepherd types here exceeds the percentage of the population who are competent owners and trainers of such dogs...
    So there's a leash problem? The biggest baddest dog isn't going to do much on a leash.
    My dog is about 25lbs but he has this hatred for this husky that lives up the street. I don't know why but they want to kill each other. However, when we pass each other one of us goes off to the side, on the grass or the road, to give a wider space and we both say hello as our dogs threaten to kill each other. Nothing happens because both dogs are on a leash

Since the height of the "who still carries a J frame" thread I've done more DA wheelie shooting than I've done in 20 years. But like riding a bike the DA stroke from my youth years was back in no time. I have been surprised by the hits put up with my 2" Model 36, 3" Model 36 and especially by this new 317. The 3" is barely a "snubby" of course but easily works in a jacket pocket. I don't do much pants pocket carry.

The new 317 Airlight has a great trigger in DA and SA. On par with the two vintage Model 36s. And it was nicely zeroed for 25 yards out of the box. Incredibly easy gun to sink hits with.
    Last edited by JHC; 03-28-2022 at 10:04 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

So there's a leash problem? The biggest baddest dog isn't going to do much on a leash.
    My dog is about 25lbs but he has this hatred for this husky that lives up the street. I don't know why but they want to kill each other. However, when we pass each other one of us goes off to the side, on the grass or the road, to give a wider space and we both say hello as our dogs threaten to kill each other. Nothing happens because both dogs are on a leash

I go through this multiple times a week with my 55 lb. Boxer/Terrier rescue. She has it in for a few dogs in the area, for reasons known only to her, and plays "hard" with the dogs she likes. I always move off to the side of the road, exchange pleasantries with the other owner, and move along. No drama.

I only have issues with dogs left to roam without supervision. I've had to kick or hit with a walking stick one or two of them...and they departed without incident.

The one ball clenching moment was when my Weim was alive and I took him down to the mailbox on the "main" road. Two Rotties unsupervised and unleashed came running down at us from a home on the hill, and I yelled at and drew down on the lead one...thankfully, he stopped for whatever reason, and the two ran back up the hill toward the property they had left. (It was way too close for comfort.)

Only time I had to do that after retiring from LE.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I go through this multiple times a week with my 55 lb. Boxer/Terrier rescue. She has it in for a few dogs in the area, for reasons known only to her, and plays "hard" with the dogs she likes. I always move off to the side of the road, exchange pleasantries with the other owner, and move along. No drama.

I only have issues with dogs left to roam without supervision. I've had to kick or hit with a walking stick one or two...and they departed without incident.

The one ball clenching moment was when my Weim was alive and I took him down to the mailbox on the "main" road. Two Rotties unsupervised and unleashed came running down at us from a home on the hill, and I yelled at and drew down on the lead one...thankfully, he stopped for whatever reason, and the two ran back up the hill toward the property they had left.

Only time I had to do that after retiring from LE.
    In all my life I've only ever seen one dog unsupervised. It was a lost pug that walked up my driveway about 20 years ago. The collar had a tag with a phone number. I called and the owner came about 5 min later. Dogs don't roam the streets here, nor cats. It's not a thing here. Hell, you rarely ever hear barking outside

In all my life I've only ever seen one dog unsupervised. It was a lost pug that walked up my driveway about 20 years ago. The collar had a tag with a phone number. I called and the owner came about 5 min later. Dogs don't roam the streets here, nor cats. It's not a thing here. Hell, you rarely ever hear barking outside

To clarify, my dog got bit at a dog park, where dogs are supposed to be off-leash, but that incident serves to demonstrate there are people who don't understand and account for their dogs' temperaments and habits (this thread doesn't need a deep-dive into the details but my dog was in no way at fault and the other dog had no business whatsoever being at a dog park, but the owner was clueless/willfully ignorant, even after the fact).

I'm not worried about 99% of owners and dogs here, similar to how those of us on this forum aren't worried about 99% of people but carry guns/pepper spray/flashlights/what have you out of concern for the other 1%. And I do think that just based on the number of dogs, I'm far more likely to have to use pepper spray, firearm, or other force against a four-legged threat than a two-legged one. So, my snub vs. service pistol thoughts regarding dog walks continue.

In this part of (rural) western NC it's an unfortunate, everyday occurrence. Occasionally, "Animal Control" will come out to warn or cite the owners, but that's not the norm.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
    I like the simple solution to blackstrap bite by way of application of some leather and coban athletic wrap. Elegant in simplicity if not in aesthetics.
    The combo fits my size XL hands better and is overall substantially more comfortable to shoot as compared to the standard configuration.

Last edited by Lost River; 03-28-2022 at 10:08 AM. Reason: add pic

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    The combo fits my size XL hands better and is overall substantially more comfortable to shoot as compared to the standard configuration.
    I wish I had thought of that solution when dealing the old "banana" grips on my first J-frame, a .38 Special M640.

Quote Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
    I like the simple solution to blackstrap bite by way of application of some leather and coban athletic wrap. Elegant in simplicity if not in aesthetics.
    "Tastefully Casual"

User Tag List