Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub chat

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post

A 442 with sights from the 640 Pro would be outstanding.
    Yes. Yes it would.

I say this as another 640Pro user.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

A recent change in employment has resulted in my 442 getting a shit ton more EDC time. I've basically burned up my stash of .38 range ammo and am now really, really wishing S&W would finally do a run of 9mm chambered Airweight and/or Airlite Js. I've always been surprised they never did the M&P series in 9mm....

As a side note I did recently pick up a new M&P340. Out of the box has to go back to S&W as the action locks in a weird single action state if you short stroke it. Very happy I found this during dry fire practice (actually the 1k trigger job) rather than with a live round and no where to pop it off safely.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Site Supporter
    Isn't the story that Smith did two 942s and sent one to Wiley Clapp? It was not successful, IIRC. There are conversion outfits to make 9mm Js.

My problem remains my pockets are already full and no other way to carry a snub appeals to me. Of I am going to holster carry on the waist it will be a real gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Isn't the story that Smith did two 942s and sent one to Wiley Clapp? It was not successful, IIRC. There are conversion outfits to make 9mm Js.
    Yep, that's my recollection of Wiley Clapp as well. He supposedly sunk the 942 with a report that the recoil was so unpleasant they would not sell. But then Smith brought the .357 PD/Ti line so who knows?

I've looked into the conversions and none appeal to me. I'd sooner suck up the weight difference and buy a 940...or just keep grumbling as I source and pay for .38s in 2022.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

642 or LCR in .38 special? First-time snubby buyer and want to be able to carry in pocket, AIWB and possibly ankle. Leaning towards 642 Smith, no lock. I have medium hands/palms with shorter fingers so trigger reach is always a concern. WHich one wins there? Handgun Hero comparison suggests I'd be happy with the 642, honestly prefer the aesthetic also. Just worry about reliability and durability/corrosion resistance in humid FL summers.

Name:  E91B20DA-A60A-4625-8119-BA371261D30C.jpeg
Views: 667
Size:  60.0 KB

@Thy.Will.Be.Done

I carry a 642 against bare skin in the hot / humid / rainy environs of the western NC mountains. Been doing so daily for a few years.

Not a speck of rust to be found.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter

J Frame carry

DB and Matt Landfair on Primary and Secondary did a recent deep dive into carrying what what some would consider sub -optimal chambering and capacity.

They really do an excellent job boiling down the topic to concise arguments for carrying these types of handguns specific to certain circumstances, the individual and environment as well as realistic and expectations of the what one’s role will be in most non LEO situations

Having a carried a firearm for 30 years professionally, I find myself carrying a J frame most days that I am not working exactly for the reasons they cover. I won’t go into their podcast but highly recommend it

I sold my buddy my no lock 340PD as he wanted one more then I and well alimony don’t pay itself

No now I go back-and-forth between a highly customized 642 that’s been re-Cera coated and all steel parts have been hard chromed with the exception of the barrel and it has a street action job and is smooth as butter

Name:  CD2D8971-6D82-4F33-9541-5A38F45C1E21.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  47.9 KB

When I’m not carrying that and I want to go for something really light weight I recently picked up a Smith and Wesson bodyguard 38 special to replace the 340 that I no longer have. Although I have owned three Ruger LCR 9mm in the past and have nothing bad to say about them at all I find myself preferring the Smith and Wesson J frame as well as the holster compatibility. Subjectively the Ruger has a better trigger out of the box than this bodyguard 38 however that will improve with time the main objective was finding something light weight and similar to my 642 although the bodyguard 38 does have its idiosyncrasies such as the clockwise rotating cylinder and the top frame ambidextrous cylinder release however I don’t find myself getting slow down even after caring a standard J frame for at least 15 years as a primary and back up gun.

For the price points I really enjoy it so far although it’s going to take a lot of dry firing to even come close to my 642
    Name:  CFD51199-0AB2-4FBD-B4E5-361D0596252C.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  37.0 KB

Picking the right firearm for the individual as well as a an appropriate defensive load as well as lots of practice really are the main things to consider in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    642 or LCR in .38 special? First-time snubby buyer and want to be able to carry in pocket, AIWB and possibly ankle. Leaning towards 642 Smith, no lock. I have medium hands/palms with shorter fingers so trigger reach is always a concern. WHich one wins there? Handgun Hero comparison suggests I'd be happy with the 642, honestly prefer the aesthetic also. Just worry about reliability and durability/corrosion resistance in humid FL summers.

Name:  E91B20DA-A60A-4625-8119-BA371261D30C.jpeg
Views: 667
Size:  60.0 KB
    642 for its svelte size compared the the LCR. I can pocket carry my 442 in regular fit jeans which I found not possible with the LCR.

Quote Originally Posted by P226SAOFan View Post

The post on the last page finally convinced me to send mine in too. Very fast turn around. Been debating doing it forever. It was either this or buy a LCR from Novak's with the rear sight but those never came in stock. I don't understand why they don't offer this on more than just the steel model from the factory.
    If you don’t mind me asking; how long was the TAT? I wonder if the same could be done on a non-pinned front sight gun like a 642.

I echo the above a 642 Pro would be perfect. I’ve bought and sold 2 640 Pros both of which had gremlins. As much as I try a steel J frame just doesn’t make sense for me, as soon a belt and real pants are involved I’m just going 1911.

User Tag List