Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast

Thread: Snub chat

I oiled it and dry fired it a bit and it started locking up so I sent it to S&W.

I’ve never taken a J Frame apart

Earworms That Compel Shopping For Snubs

Watching snub-gun stuff on the iPad, and next thing ya know, Peter Gunn stuff started showing up in my yute-tube feed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emg_6ANjWzo

Then, the added visual of the mini-skirt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZR4UaDEv5c

Edited to add: Apparently, the Peter Gunn character normally used a Detective Special, but the actor (Craig Stevens, IIRC) was known to have posed for publicity photos with an S&W Chief.

Edited again to add: The early episodes have been posted on the yute-tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTMVMRJtF68
    Last edited by Rex G; 02-05-2024 at 01:39 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I spent the past two weeks in Nebraska, watching my grandchildren while their parents got a much needed vacation. DB's line of reasoning about using revolvers for travel resonated with me, and I took my M37, 856, and SP101 along.

With very active, curious, smart, and inventive 3, 6, and 8 year-olds about, admin procedures were that anytime the guns were not physically on my person, they were unloaded, locked in the gun box, which was locked to the frame of my suitcase, which was itself locked. This was much easier with the wheel guns that it has been with the autoloaders.

Since I didn't have to tote around most of the stuff that I do while at home, I dual pocket carried, and experimented with options for the 3rd one. I had Aholster Backbones for the M37 and SP101, and the Null SMZ. I also tossed in a Mika IWB for an LCR that I had laying around.

I was wearing relaxed-fit Duluthflex jeans, which were roomy and had deep, reinforced pockets. The M37 rode in my left pocket, as always. I found that the 856 worked well enough in the Aholster Backbone for the SP101, and swapped back-and-forth between them for a bit. I settled on the 856 in the right pocket, mainly due to slightly less weight and a slightly thinner grip. Oh, I had also two RCS Pocket Shields, which worked well in concert with the Backbones. Two 5-round Tuff strips with 4 rounds each were in the watch pocket of my jeans.

I experimented with the SMZ under a tucked in shirt, but could not get the harness to be comfortable enough. I'm going to try to get a different harness to use with the holster, if I can. I wound up going with the SP101 in the Mika IWB under an untucked button-down shirt and over a tucked-in T-shirt, which is my usual mode for IWB carry. The weather was warm enough that I didn't have to zip up my hoodie or coat, which was not the case last year, which is what led me to this little carry experiment.

Once the parents got back, my other son and I spent a couple of hours at Top Golf with his sister and her husband. We had a good time, and while I was conscious of potential gun flashing, I never worried about it.

I never got into a situation where I needed the gats, had a great time with the younguns, and some learning occurred.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Name:  IMG_1664.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  28.4 KB
    This 442-2 was ordered from a NOVA cop shop sight unseen in ‘13.
    My first new S&W revolver since the mid-‘80s and was unaware of the ILS or the controversy surrounding it.
    Nearly 1K rounds fired with no issues and it rides in my right front pants pocket along with at least one speed strip.
    Those wooden sticks look great and fit well but start to hurt at about the twenty round mark with 158 grain standard pressure loads.
    It wears a pair of UM boot grips now.

I find it interesting that Smith & Wesson is advertising a $50 rebate on revolvers, while there are scores of people lined up to get some of the new Lipsey's ones. If they only understood what their customers really wanted.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I find it interesting that Smith & Wesson is advertising a $50 rebate on revolvers, while there are scores of people lined up to get some of the new Lipsey's ones. If they only understood what their customers really wanted.
    Local shops are advertising Js for $379 after rebate. Need to clear out stock for the new offerings. Makes it hard to pass up.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I got a bit excited about that after the UC drop... until I read the fine print and they were not on the list. It seems lik S&W does rebate deals fairly often on a lot of their line. I don't blame them for producing their "bread and butter" models, but it does seem like sometimes they have been a bit deaf to their customer base.

Any real justification for the SP101 in .38 SPL only?

Hey everyone; I figure this question works well enough in this thread rather than starting a thread about it.

Thinking about getting an SP101, and while my first choice is to try and find the snubby Match Champion version, I have been thinking of something. Ruger has a version of the SP101 that is .38 Special +P only. I will only shoot .38 Special out of this gun regardless of which version I get.

So the question is, would I see any tangible performance gain in getting the .38 only version of the gun? I'm guessing I'm not because I don't think I've ever seen anyone bring this up. Still, it makes sense to me that a bullet leaving a chamber built to fit it's cartridge precisely would be at least a little bit happier than one that had to travel through a chamber cut for .357.

Is this silly?

Windy day project...

... installed an XS Big Dot front sight to my BG38. I need to get out soon to test it out; it's now very easy to see with my aging eyes.

Below is my initial testing for accuracy from a rested position, I have much work to do to eliminate sloppiness on my part

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    ...I also tossed in a Mika IWB for an LCR that I had laying around...
    I never hear anyone talking about the Mika IWB rigs. Any chance I can talk you into a more detailed post about that one?

User Tag List