Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub chat

double tap
    There's nothing civil about this war.

@GJM The notion of carrying .22lr shot from a 2” barrel is something I wouldn’t be comfortable with. I have NEVER had a .38/357 round fail to fire, nor have I ever unintentionally short stroked a revolver trigger. My experience with LCR revolvers is zero, but my S&W revolvers throw the trigger forward with great authority. I’m sure plenty of other people would feel quite comfortable with a .22 revolver, and Chris Baker has a video in which a Vietnam Vet Green Beret argues that civilians only need enough power to break contact.

@entropy I Was at the local range a few years ago, carrying a 1911. One of the hardcore Glock guys commented that it didn’t hold enough rounds, and said I might was well carry a Colt Mustang. I asked him James Yeager’s question: “How many times do you plan on missing?”
    That abruptly ended any further comments.

Site Supporter
    To that point on triggers. I had a SW 317 LS. I could not stand the trigger so I sold the gun. I moved my 22 shooting to semis, except for a Ruger SS Bearcat which was pretty. Sold that when I moved as it just sat on a shelf and the transfer fees made it not worth it.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I’ve never owned a ..22 revolver. The only .22 “pistols” I have are sub conversion kits for a P220 and P229. The daughter is afraid of very little and would probably carry a 2” .44mag if she wanted to. Wife is different. She tolerates a .38, slightly more so with wadcutters. I’d entertain a .32 but have never shot one nor have I seen any ammo lately. I’ve read they bark significantly more than the .38 wadcutters tho.

I’m not one for YouTooobe personalities, but there is a retired cop with a site called Lionquest Fitness that is pretty down to earth and snubbie-centric.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I have a 642 worked over by the late, great Denny Reichard. I have trained with this gun and used it in a snubby class I took from Denny. At one point I tried CT lasergrips on it but being a lefty they didn't work out that well. When using a 2 hand grip my support hand would block the beam. It is a gun I currently have no use for, but would never get rid of, especially since Denny has passed.

Site Supporter
    Full power 327s have quite the kick and blast. I've mentioned that shooting one as an outlaw revolver in an IDPA match made the SO think I blew up the gun and the crowd grasp. I did that as the 32 Longs wouldn't drop steel, so I had a speed loader with 327s when I got to those.

You feel it even in a stainless 3 inch gun. The various wadcutters in 38s and the 32s came in very soft. Shooting 100 WWB 130 gr FMJ in a session or match, you will feel it. And feel it the next day.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    The notion of carrying .22lr shot from a 2” barrel is something I wouldn’t be comfortable with.
    Nor would I, normally. Not saying I wouldn't do it if decrepitude necessitated, though...

My reluctance is probably odd, considering that I once felt reasonably assured with .22 pistols and revolvers having not much longer barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I’ve never owned a ..22 revolver. The only .22 “pistols” I have are sub conversion kits for a P220 and P229. The daughter is afraid of very little and would probably carry a 2” .44mag if she wanted to. Wife is different. She tolerates a .38, slightly more so with wadcutters. I’d entertain a .32 but have never shot one nor have I seen any ammo lately. I’ve read they bark significantly more than the .38 wadcutters tho.
    My gateway drug to handguns was .22 revolvers. Even the pieces of crap (like a buddy's mail-order RG snubby) were fun to putter about with if nothing better was to be had. I have not owned a .22 wheelgun for some time now, but at various phases of life I relied on one kind or another as a trail and/or utility firearm... I felt like I at least stood a chance should something come up. (Admittedly, "better than a sharp stick" can be a slender recommendation.)

When I purged the house of every pistol cartridge between .22LR and .38 Special, I didn't worry too much, having come to the conclusion that the simplified logistics outweighed my need for any "in-betweens." So far, I haven't wanted to kick myself.

(Too hard, anyway.)
    Last edited by gato naranja; 03-26-2022 at 11:59 AM.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am curious what folks think of Rhett's video on the LCR 22. I really like the LCR .22, but I think the LCR .327 is very attractive.
    I think that he brought up some interesting points, particularly regarding case length/ejector rods. I also think that he may be onto something about reliability...not so much "more BBs = more chances if you short-stroke and skip a chamber", but the more chambers there are, each trigger pull is that much smaller of a 360 degree rotation, and there is less mass/momentum built up before being stopped short by the cylinder stop. Theoretically, cylinder stops and notches shouldn't get beat up as much.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I’d like to hear from the old skool guys here how often “failure to reset” actually occurred “back in the day”. Both in quals and on the street. It’s *my opinion* that a lot of this issue is driven by the present day quest for “split times” and rate of fire over accuracy. Thank you Glock. A few years back, I had a HORRIBLE experience in a pistol class. I walked out. This particular instructor cared nothing about accuracy. It was all about how fast you could pull the trigger.
    I agree. I don't think this was ever a thing before "riding the reset" or "shooting from reset" became a thing.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

When I had my hip replace, the only thing i could wear was elastic waist band shorts. The little .22 LS M317 was my pocket gun - it was the only thing that didn't pull my shorts off. I've always enjoyed shooting it and never found the trigger to be as dismal as most describe. With CCI velocitors, it's never misfired.

Here it is with my foul weather, rain jacket pocket gun (M360 with green laser CTs).

The 360 with a Ruger LCR 357 Mag and test target - the laser was adjusted after this group. I carry the 360 with 3ea 125s and 2ea 180gr Buff Bore Outdoorsman.

I'm in.

Although I've had a DAO SP101 for a while, I haven't really done a lot with that. With my recently acquired LCR, that's going to change up a bit.

I'm currently using a TCP as a BUG/pocket gun in jeans, and am going to use the LCR as a BUG in uniform on the vest. Once holsters arrive from Mika, I will experiment with the LCR in the pocket. Currently, I stuff it AIWB at home with the Clipdraw that it came with, and I'm kinda digging it...much more comfy than the P250c IWB with a belt. I have an Aholster Backbone for the SP101, but it is really too heavy for that role. The LCR fits in it ok, except the Clipdraw interferes with the fitment. I reckon a heat gun could take care of that, if I wanted. Depends on whether I ditch the Clipdraw or not.

Either will work as a snake gun with shot loads. I plan to get a couple of LH/RH IWB rigs, and take them both for EDC if I fly somewhere, such as visiting grandkids. Will make administrative handling much better/easier than the semi-autos.

I'm going to replace the front sights on both with something more visible, but haven't decided between offerings from XS, Gemini, Novak, etc. Not sure how much ammo I should burn before changing out the sights. SP101 currently shoots 130 FMJ and 130 +P Rangers to the factory front sight, but it's not super visible. I at least want to check sight regulation and felt recoil of LCR with 148 wadcutters and +P Ranger and Gold Dot.

That's where things stand now.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 03-26-2022 at 11:52 AM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List