Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Policy on Weapon Selection for Downing Animals

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    I'm non-LE, but I'm curious, which types of people or sub-organizations are typically responsible for generating policy on a topic like downed animals?

In my non-experienced and rural mind, the most immediate risks or problems would be shoot-throughs, misses, and ricochets- real problems, as I've read about harm and even death to by-standers- but which mostly also seem like marksmanship and awareness issues

As you conclude from the responses, not many agencies have specific policies on how to euthanize an injured animal. In my experience, policies usually authorize euthanization, but do not go into specifics. Practice is usually dictated by training and custom. This is likely different in some agencies that have to euthanize more frequently or have had an issue with a particular shooting. (If I still worked for my former department, I suspect I'd be sending annoying memoranda asking internal affairs guidance on when I could use what weapons on what animals and advising that I would be calling the internal affairs lieutenant, on or off duty and any any hour of the day or night, to seek his wisdom and guidance. He should have some interest in this being the little rodent that he is. That said...)

In my experience, officers are cautious about shooting injured animals. While no one wants to see an animal suffer for longer than necessary, one has time to carefully evaluate the scene to avoid collateral damage. Officers are cognizant of the risks you mention. Officers may clear scenes or block traffic. Unlike response to a deadly threat by a suspect (or even an aggressive animal), one seldom has to shoot in a split second decision when downing an animal. In most cases, the round or rounds could be fired in a downward direction reducing the risk of passthroughs.

At my agency we use a shotgun with Winchester segmented slugs for animals the size of a deer or larger. For smaller animals we use #4 shot. We are not allowed to Euthanize domestic animals,dog cats etc. YMMV

Where I worked, euthanizing animals was a “Thou Shalt Not,” so, of course, no weapon was specified for the task. Animal Control was expected to deal with the task. Animal Control, during night shift, was on a call-up basis, if the on-call employee would awaken to answer the phone. The local SPCA kept a rescue van staffed, during night-time, which provided a quicker solution, that was not within policy, but I was never written-up for using their services.

I worked for that really big city in the SE quadrant of Texas, but the extreme sprawl, and aggressive annexation, meant that there were/are deer, feral hogs, horses, and some amount of livestock, within the city, or close enough to wander into the city.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Where I worked, euthanizing animals was a “Thou Shalt Not,” so, of course, no weapon was specified for the task. Animal Control was expected to deal with the task. Animal Control, during night shift, was on a call-up basis, if the on-call employee would awaken to answer the phone. The local SPCA kept a rescue van staffed, during night-time, which provided a quicker solution, that was not within policy, but I was never written-up for using their services.

I worked for that really big city in the SE quadrant of Texas, but the extreme sprawl, and aggressive annexation, meant that there were/are deer, feral hogs, horses, and some amount of livestock, within the city, or close enough to wander into the city.
    We got our current chief from a larger city in SW Texas and he was surprised how many animals we shot. Also just "not a thing" where he came from, although he said he had a buddy that shot an Ostrich once, and it was a big deal.

I killed an injured racoon with a hammer once while working on a county road project. I just put the raccoon down because I knew it's back was broken.

Deer are no different. A pistol works just fine. No need to drag out the evil rifle and upset the soccer moms and pavement dwellers.

I wasn't in any LE capacity so no review. No blowback from the witnesses either. I guess I was lucky. I was on a native American res at the time so maybe I had that going for me.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-02-2022 at 09:32 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    We got our current chief from a larger city in SW Texas and he was surprised how many animals we shot. Also just "not a thing" where he came from, although he said he had a buddy that shot an Ostrich once, and it was a big deal.
    I responded to a Trooper out with an emu that was running amok close to a highway. It had likely escaped (been released) when the bottom dropped out of the market....quite some time back. Game Warden arrived with a .22 rifle as I was unlimbering my Benelli. Took several .22s to the noggin until it was down and out. I'm pretty sure my 00 buckshot would've been more humane.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

We have no set policy...yet... It's only a matter of time until someone does something dumb. Only requirements are that you let a sgt know and you have to fill out a form(that nobody does).

I use my rifle the majority of the time as long as there aren't residents around that would get upset at the sight of a "machine gun". Working nights and a mostly rural area thats not a problem usually. Those that have a shotgun usually use that. I have seen my partner kill 2 deer with his tomahawk.

A certain female who has successfully failed upwards several times once gave her handgun to a citizen so he could do what she didn't have the heart too....

User Tag List