Thread: Really Good Article on Physical Fitness

Hammertime

Really Good Article on Physical Fitness

Stick with it through the initial BJJ anecdote and it gets great.

http://mattthornton.org/fighting-and-not-or-fitness/

"“I get that part”, I say, “I am asking ‘why’ you want to defend yourself.”
    Again, perplexed, someone will usually say something along the lines of “so I don’t get killed.” Or “So I can go home safely to my family.”
    “So you can live longer?” I will ask.
    Everyone nods their head as they wonder why I am wasting their time stating the obvious.
    “Then”, I ask, “why are some of you 50lbs over weight?
    Why don’t all of you buckle your seatbelt everyday?
    Why are you slamming down another 40 ounces of sugar?
    Why do some of you still smoke?”"

"If living longer were truly what they were after, they would proportion their energy and behavior to the risks. Almost all of us are far more likely to die of heart disease or a fatal car accident, than a knife wielding sociopath who confronts us in a dark alley.

The bottom line is this – if you don’t put physical fitness at the top of your list, self-preservation probably isn’t the thing that’s really motivating you."

"If you’re not focused on staying healthy and being in shape, then you’re not yet serious about self-preservation.

Keep that in mind the next time you hear someone pontificating about which type of ammunition has greater knock down power, or which form of deadly “street” fighting martial art will render a more lethal strike. An overweight, out of shape, chain smoker, who rarely wears his seatbelt, is fond of driving fast, drinks a 32oz sodas, and spends his time worrying about what type of firearm he should carry, isn’t really concerned about self-preservation.
    He’s really concerned about humiliation.
    He doesn’t want to be beaten up in front of people."

"Three principles. Make sure what you do is safe. Make sure it’s efficient, leaving as much in the gas tank as possible for your actual sport. And be consistent – don’t skip workouts."

That is a good article, thanks. Most def picks up steam as one scrolls.

On a personal note, I have traded, near as I can tell, 20lbs of extra fat for 5lbs of extra muscle since my first ECQC. That is not a particularly unusual or noteworthy achievement (especially given the half-decade+ time frame), rather: it’s about par for that specific course.

My last self-defense workout, yesterday, involved carrying a G42 in a HPG chest rig… while riding 8 river trail miles on my fatbike.

ETA: proof...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Presented without comment (other than shaking my head).

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-...rally-n1292463

Okay, okay, okay... I have at least drop this one quote.
    Physical fitness training, especially in combat sports, appeals to the far right for many reasons: fighters are trained to accept significant physical pain, to be “warriors,” and to embrace messaging around solidarity, heroism, and brotherhood.

Right wing land whales focus on caliber and guns; Left wing land whales focus on "body positivity".
    And both are a little too focused on face stuffing.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Stick with it through the initial BJJ anecdote and it gets great.

http://mattthornton.org/fighting-and-not-or-fitness/

"“I get that part”, I say, “I am asking ‘why’ you want to defend yourself.”
    Again, perplexed, someone will usually say something along the lines of “so I don’t get killed.” Or “So I can go home safely to my family.”
    “So you can live longer?” I will ask.
    Everyone nods their head as they wonder why I am wasting their time stating the obvious.
    “Then”, I ask, “why are some of you 50lbs over weight?
    Why don’t all of you buckle your seatbelt everyday?
    Why are you slamming down another 40 ounces of sugar?
    Why do some of you still smoke?”"

"If living longer were truly what they were after, they would proportion their energy and behavior to the risks. Almost all of us are far more likely to die of heart disease or a fatal car accident, than a knife wielding sociopath who confronts us in a dark alley.

The bottom line is this – if you don’t put physical fitness at the top of your list, self-preservation probably isn’t the thing that’s really motivating you."

"If you’re not focused on staying healthy and being in shape, then you’re not yet serious about self-preservation.

Keep that in mind the next time you hear someone pontificating about which type of ammunition has greater knock down power, or which form of deadly “street” fighting martial art will render a more lethal strike. An overweight, out of shape, chain smoker, who rarely wears his seatbelt, is fond of driving fast, drinks a 32oz sodas, and spends his time worrying about what type of firearm he should carry, isn’t really concerned about self-preservation.
    He’s really concerned about humiliation.
    He doesn’t want to be beaten up in front of people."

"Three principles. Make sure what you do is safe. Make sure it’s efficient, leaving as much in the gas tank as possible for your actual sport. And be consistent – don’t skip workouts."
    Because I want to smoke 12 packs a day, down 2 gallons of Vodka for breakfast and a dozen donuts for lunch and still defend myself if the time comes.

Because one is something that I WANT to do and the other is something that's being done to me against my will! That's why! It's MY CHOICE to drink and smoke and do what I enjoy. It's NOT MY CHOICE to be attacked!

Why do you want a gun to defend yourself? First get healthy then take up martial arts! You're "far more likely to die of heart disease or a fatal car accident, than a knife wielding sociopath who confronts us in a dark alley."

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 4RNR; 03-25-2022 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Because I want to smoke 12 packs a day, down 2 gallons of Vodka for breakfast and a dozen donuts for lunch and still defend myself if the time comes.

Because one is something that I WANT to do and the other is something that's being done to me against my will! That's why! It's MY CHOICE to drink and smoke and do what I enjoy. It's NOT MY CHOICE to be attacked!
    I think you and the author agree. You are describing pride and stubborness as motivators. He is describing self preservation.

User Tag List