Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Question for Those Who Attend/Attended Frequent High Round Count Pistol Training

I will give some feedback on the CZ side of things. I have attended a couple of classes and prior to ammo and primers skyrocketing I would occasionally shoot 1k rounds in a weekend.

With the shadow 2

I tend to get around 30k rounds out of the new trigger springs. They generally break in my dryfire/training gun about once a year and I replace them in both guns. Slide stops tend to go between 25-30k rounds. I also replace extractors once a year and haven't personally had one break. I keep my guns well lubed and add oil as needed to my training guns.

As far as cleaning I generally clean the match gun before a large major and clean my training gun when it starts having issues or the slide starts to get sluggish. If you are talking a standard 75/SP-01 i would expect similar numbers minus the firing pin retaining pin as those can be damaged in dry fire.
    FN America DSM
    Cajun Gun Works and Shooters World Powder shooting team member

Quote Originally Posted by foxj66 View Post
    I will give some feedback on the CZ side of things. I have attended a couple of classes and prior to ammo and primers skyrocketing I would occasionally shoot 1k rounds in a weekend.

With the shadow 2

I tend to get around 30k rounds out of the new trigger springs. They generally break in my dryfire/training gun about once a year and I replace them in both guns. Slide stops tend to go between 25-30k rounds. I also replace extractors once a year and haven't personally had one break. I keep my guns well lubed and add oil as needed to my training guns.

As far as cleaning I generally clean the match gun before a large major and clean my training gun when it starts having issues or the slide starts to get sluggish. If you are talking a standard 75/SP-01 i would expect similar numbers minus the firing pin retaining pin as those can be damaged in dry fire.
    Good to hear that the newer trigger springs are lasting that long. Are you talking bout factory CZ or CGW springs though? Good to hear on the slide stops as well. Any experience with the P09?

Quote Originally Posted by claymore504 View Post
    Good to hear that the newer trigger springs are lasting that long. Are you talking bout factory CZ or CGW springs though? Good to hear on the slide stops as well. Any experience with the P09?
    I use the factory shadow 2 trigger return springs as I like the reset better and dont chase super light triggers.

I havent owned a P09 but have been around enough of them that I would only be concerned with the firing pin retaining pin compared to the steel guns. I really dont see many of them come back for issues.
    FN America DSM

Site Supporter
    “I really had to pivot to the audience I was addressing here, and try to understand what they really NEEDED TO KNOW rather than what I thought I wanted to teach them. Safety and fundamentals, not high-speed low-drag stuff.”
    -falnovice

Exactly.

I taught firearms at the local regional police academy for a total of 13 years and all of us instructors had to fight the inclination to provide more information than our students were ready to absorb.

All shooters would be well advised to replace the recoil spring assembly and magazine springs at whatever interval the manufacturer recommends.
    Last edited by Jeff22; 04-09-2022 at 09:18 PM.

My experience may be dated as I haven’t attended formal training in years and only sporadicly attended matches.

But given a baseline of “known good” (Glock, 6920, etc.) and excluding known-bad (such as the original S&W Sigmas, for example), the single biggest factor in reliability I’ve seen was always the relative level of fiddle-fuck, with the greater the amount of FF the lower the reliability. This proved true of pistols, ARs, shotguns, practical rifles… even AKs.

I can’t imagine much has changed. Other than maybe saturated markets and social media ad campaigns making it harder to figure “known good”
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Our tiny little match yesterday had two out of seven guns get through the afternoon without malfunction. My revolver and a friend's Shield Plus that he won as a big match prize.

I am pretty sure that three of the other five failed on low quality reloads. I don't know about the other two, although I suspect a ladyfinger grip by a lady shooter for one.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

With the shadow 2

Slide stops tend to go between 25-30k rounds
    I've just recently broke one at a record low 6000 rounds since replacement, and have not had one last longer than 14k. Carry Optics guns with SROs, one mounted by CGW actually.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I've just recently broke one at a record low 6000 rounds since replacement, and have not had one last longer than 14k. Carry Optics guns with SROs, one mounted by CGW actually.
    That's surprisingly fast. What weight recoil spring are you running? I use the slim slide stops exclusively but I cant image they last longer than the stock ones.
    FN America DSM

That's surprisingly fast. What weight recoil spring are you running? I use the slim slide stops exclusively but I cant image they last longer than the stock ones.
    10 or 11 lbs. The 6K broken one was the first slim stop I've ever used. I've two guns, the slim stop on the second is about same round count, so far holding up.
    I use shock buffs too but can't say that they make difference. Thin oem shock buffs barely last anyway.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    10 or 11 lbs. The 6K broken one was the first slim stop I've ever used. I've two guns, the slim stop on the second is about same round count, so far holding up.
    I use shock buffs too but can't say that they make difference. Thin oem shock buffs barely last anyway.
    I have never used a shock buff, if they are only breaking that quick in one gun I would send it back to my warranty team so they can take a look as it and make sure something isnt wrong. I also use 11lb recoil spring and run them way longer than I should.

If you decide to send it in shoot me a PM and I will let the gun smith know its coming and why.
    FN America DSM

User Tag List