Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for Those Who Attend/Attended Frequent High Round Count Pistol Training

Question for Those Who Attend/Attended Frequent High Round Count Pistol Training

This is more of an academic exercise than anything, but it's something I've been thinking about.

To those who either teach or frequently attend (or used to) pistol training classes with relatively brisk round counts on a regular basis (ie, 1-2k+ rounds in a weekend), what brands/models of pistols seem to be the most reliable/durable in aggregate?

Which ones tend to have the least stoppages/breakages/etc? Of course maintenance plays a part in this but I'm just talking about in general.

I remember reading an article ToddG posted many years ago talking about the many breakages/stoppages he'd see with CZ pistols in his classes (which surprised me), and I was wanting to see if any instructors, assistants, students, or just people at training classes a lot see that works well in large enough numbers to be notable.

In the classes and trainings I have taken both professionally and for fun, many exceeding 1k rounds, I have observed that the M&P platform is exceedingly reliable. I don't think I've ever observed a non-ammo related failure with that platform and they run better than Glocks with no lubricant. My sample size may be a bit biased though since most of our local agencies including my own issue M&Ps.

P229 (no rail) in 357 Sig and G22 Gen 4 held up extremely well for me over the years. I used the G22 in MOAC where we shot just shy of 4,000 rds in a week. Two different P320 pistols have had issues in classes.

Stock Glocks go forever, no surprise there.

Glocks that someone has fucked with too much often run terribly.

I’ve seen Glocks run through parts breakages. Broken trigger springs, broken pins, broken ejectors, broken slide rails… they will typically limp along until the parts can be swapped.

Metal-framed CZs break slide stops. It’s a pro-active replacement part. Based on how the stop is fit and lubricated, you might get 3K on a pin, might get 10K, might get 30K.. but you don’t know until it fails.

Beretta 92s… trigger return springs and locking blocks. They fail. I have heard the newer locking blocks are better, but the trigger spring is still a consumable that doesn’t seem to like high volume shooting.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

The overwhelming majority of my high-round-count classes were shot with G19s. No issues with mine, or any of those my guys were shooting. I went through one (1) course with my then issued HK45CT - no issue with the pistol, but my finger liked to fell off by the middle of the first day from that 27 pound trigger. I also shot one course (about 1100 rounds in 2 days, as I recall) with a P30 LEM, no issues.

I've seen surprisingly few quality made STOCK pistols fail at any course, match, or training event. That includes countless 1911s of various stripe. I've seen ENORMOUSLY frequent failures with guns that had been "gunsmithed."

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post

Glocks that someone has fucked with too much often run terribly.
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post

I've seen surprisingly few quality made STOCK pistols fail at any course, match, or training event. That includes countless 1911s of various stripe. I've seen ENORMOUSLY frequent failures with guns that had been "gunsmithed."
    Beat me to it. Most stock mid/full size weapons I've seen were drama-free. Adding a hodge-podge of aftermarket parts is where the gremlins come out.

I've had a Glock break. I've seen Glocks break. Other guns too but I don't remember. Why is it that I remember Glocks breaking? Because they are the most widely used guns in classes. Everything can break given enough time and use. The worst Glock breakage was seeing the locking lugs sheared cleanly off the barrel. I've seen broken Glock locking blocks and in my case the slide release spring broke and my slide flew off the frame after the last round was fired.

I've shot the crap out of 1911's in classes and they never broke. I even had Todd tell me my 1911 would not make it through his class. A while later J.D. Potynski of Northern Red in his class told me the same about my 1911. And now that I think of it I've seen a few 1911's with cracked frames. Owned by guys who were regulars out at GunSite. Those guns were still shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Reloaded ammo never seems to help, either.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Shooting Glocks since the 19 was introduced.
    I have very high confidence in the double stack 9mm Glocks. Both reliability and durability. STOCK GUNS ONLY
    You can shoot a lot of rounds through a Glock.
    Replace springs as needed.

User Tag List