Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crimson Trace zeroing

Crimson Trace zeroing

For those using Crimson Trace laser grips for the J frame, what distance are you zeroing at. Parallel or intersecting zero and what is your shot doing closer and further than your zero.

On my 43C, I zeroed poa/poi at 10 yards, on the theory I can't see the CT red dot at 25 yards in daylight, and I am particularly interested in the laser up close.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    For those using Crimson Trace laser grips for the J frame, what distance are you zeroing at. Parallel or intersecting zero and what is your shot doing closer and further than your zero.

On my 43C, I zeroed poa/poi at 10 yards, on the theory I can't see the CT red dot at 25 yards in daylight, and I am particularly interested in the laser up close.
    I figured out what the furthest distance is that I needed in my home and zeroed for POA at that distance.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Following. Especially as it relates to sights. I just installed a pair of 405's that were sent back for repair on an M&P340. Boresited them with the green lasered Wheeler across the length of my kitchen ( approx 10 yards)to get them close on paper. Adjusted the laser until the dot was just on top of the green Wheeler dot. When I aimed the XS front sight at my aiming point afterwards, the CTC laser was almost a foot low.

When I put the Wheeler on the CT 405 laser grips, it showed the projectile impacting about a foot low at 25 yards. I didn't adjust the laser grips then, because I understand CT sends them out with a closer zero, and the barrel is recessed enough in the 43C, I worried about how accurate the Wheeler was in this application.

At the range I was within an inch or two at 7-10, and made corrections for poa/poi at 7-10 yards. Looking today, the Wheeler shows poi about a foot low at 25 yards. Since I can't see a red laser at 25 yards in daylight, 25 yards doesn't have much utility for me with the 43C. What I am interested in, is being able to quickly present from my support pocket and hit a B8 at 5-7 yards.

With my new 337 with the DL sights, that I know hits to the iron sights to 20 yards, I will adjust the CT laser grips like with the 43C, meaning poa/poi at 7 yards or so.

In a perfect world, we could have the laser directly below the muzzle and run a parallel zero, but with the CT laser offset low right, I have chosen an intersecting zero which compromises longer distances.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    When I put the Wheeler on the CT 405 laser grips, it showed the projectile impacting about a foot low at 25 yards. I didn't adjust the laser grips then, because I understand CT sends them out with a closer zero, and the barrel is recessed enough in the 43C, I worried about how accurate the Wheeler was in this application.

At the range I was within an inch or two at 7-10, and made corrections for poa/poi at 7-10 yards. Looking today, the Wheeler shows poi about a foot low at 25 yards. Since I can't see a red laser at 25 yards in daylight, 25 yards doesn't have much utility for me with the 43C. What I am interested in, is being able to quickly present from my support pocket and hit a B8 at 5-7 yards.

With my new 337 with the DL sights, that I know hits to the iron sights to 20 yards, I will adjust the CT laser grips like with the 43C, meaning poa/poi at 7 yards or so.

In a perfect world, we could have the laser directly below the muzzle and run a parallel zero, but with the CT laser offset low right, I have chosen an intersecting zero which compromises longer distances.
    My goal is the laser POA/POI at 10 yards. I may end up way off after boresighting with the Wheeler, we'll see one the snow finishes melting. Until them, I like the grips so the laser will be turned off.

Your carring the 43C as a BUG? I need to get another one. I've been using a 351C with green XS front in an Enigma as my around the house gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Following. Especially as it relates to sights. I just installed a pair of 405's that were sent back for repair on an M&P340. Boresited them with the green lasered Wheeler across the length of my kitchen ( approx 10 yards)to get them close on paper. Adjusted the laser until the dot was just on top of the green Wheeler dot. When I aimed the XS front sight at my aiming point afterwards, the CTC laser was almost a foot low.
    CT repaired your grips under warranty or did you have to pay out of pocket? I have a failed set that's 10 years old and when I called CT, they said they would only give me a coupon to buy a new pair and they wouldn't try repairing something that old.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    CT repaired your grips under warranty or did you have to pay out of pocket? I have a failed set that's 10 years old and when I called CT, they said they would only give me a coupon to buy a new pair and they wouldn't try repairing something that old.
    I sent in 2 pairs of 405's that were a couple years old. The repaired one pair and replaced the other, as they said it was not repairable. I got them back yesterday, unfortunately the new pair they sent me lacked the threaded inserts in the grip panel to accept the screws. So another pair should be shipping tomorrow. Not super impressed with the QC.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Not super impressed with the QC.
    Didn’t S&W buy CT? If so, color me “unsurprised”.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Has anyone seen a chart for the CT J frame grips, that shows offset for various zero distances?

Hammertime
    I had the same issue with the Wheeler. It doesn’t work on the 43c. Not sure about other J frames. It was off a foot at 20 yards.

I chose to zero at 25 yards on the theory that that is essentially parallel for my ability. At 7 yards and in the bullet will hit around 1” high and left of where the laser is pointed. My trigger pull wobbles more than that if I pull with any speed.

FWIW: the 43C is crazy accurate. I shot a 96-4x at 25 yards while zeroing. The holes with circles around them are the ten in that set:

Name:  770DAC7F-ADB7-4EE1-B2D2-FA09E98D3F54.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  44.3 KB

Up close within 3-7 yards the large hole represents the hits with the laser pointed at the x

Name:  1479F47C-19F8-4419-BD3A-B70D972E31B5.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  61.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List