Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for anyone with Magpul barrel clamp…

Question for anyone with Magpul barrel clamp…

If you own one for the Remington or Mossberg, could I ask you to measure the mag tube diameter and barrel diameter of your guns.

I ask because I have a Beretta 1301 Tac that came with the factory 7 round mag tube and a factory polymer clam that I’m looking to replace The metal extended mag tube has a polymer tube that covers it. Under heavy recoil, I’ve found that the clamp can move quite a bit. I think it’s because there isn’t enough friction between the polymer on polymer contact surfaces.

My barrel measures .90” in diameter and my tube is 1.2”. Thanks!

Remington 870P with 18" barrel with OD of 0.8990", Wilson Combat tube extension of 1.000". Using the Magpul Forward Sling Mount, haven't noticed it moving at all, though I very rarely shoot my shotgun.

Site Supporter
    Probability is very high that the next clamp you buy will also move. For me wrapping barrel and tube with two turns of masking tape fixed this. Be aware that these clamps can change poi with slugs. A remedy is unscrewing extension about 1/4 turn and then applying clamp. This way the extension and not the barrel flexes under recoil. I can't take credit for this trick. It's been around a long time. I no longer use clamps. I decided that they were not necessary on the 2 shot tubes I used. Finally, I settled on a 1 shot extension. You might call Beretta and bug them.

Mag extension can effect reliability. In some cases the joint between tube and extension, if not a smooth seam, can "grab" the spring and cause a feeding malfunction. Also shells left under compression can collapse enough that they will not chamber. I had a batch of premium buckshot shells that were defective in this way. I'm convinced that periodic inspection is essential.
    Last edited by willie; 03-23-2022 at 02:39 AM.

Site Supporter
    FWIW, I removed the barrel clamp from my 1301 and have not had any issues without it.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    In some cases the joint between tube and extension, if not a smooth seam, can "grab" the spring and cause a feeding malfunction.
    This is correct, in some cases (once I experienced) the follower doesn't want to pass through the gap. I am another guy who has become less of a fan of clamps in general.

BUT.... none of this applies to the new 7+1 1301T because it does not have an extension, it has a longer magazine that is all one smooth piece with no gaps or transitions, and the piece we are typically referring to as the extension is really the nut, with a long shroud reaching back to keep the forend in place. I didn't know this before I bought mine and took it apart before the first time I used it in three gun. I was going to slap one of the Nordic tubes I had on it for a couple extra, and maybe get a Nordic +1 for the 9+1 I wanted for three gun.

I think this contiguous magazine tube is a superior concept, just a little funky at this point because it is not compatible with the established aftermarket gadgets. Mine did accept a GG&G sling mount, thoughit it was a tight fit sliding all the way down the tube.

As others have said, I wouldn't worry about the clamps. And I didn't realize how ugly it is until I took it off!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Thanks you for clarifying.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I’ve posted this info on the 1301 thread before but I’ll re-post here. I would go without the clamp all together, but I need it for its QD sling cup feature. The 1301 has no other front sling mounting points. So far, it hasn’t move with a sling attached, but when I added a tac light to the clamp’s Mlok rail, in moved several inches. Probably because of the added weight of the Surefire mini ScoutLight. I have the GGG light mount that sandwiches between the mag extension to resolve the light issue.

GG&G has the option for QD on one side and flashlight on the other.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I was looking at that option, but for the sake of simplicity, I need the light and sling on the same side. I’m running a Mini Scout and using the thumb button. I didn’t want to run a wire for the remote switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    I was looking at that option, but for the sake of simplicity, I need the light and sling on the same side. I’m running a Mini Scout and using the thumb button. I didn’t want to run a wire for the remote switch.
    I agree, I want the light on the right side also. You could switch your sling to the hook:

Name:  I Agree.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  34.4 KB

User Tag List