Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 940 Tactical

So these have been out on the street for over 6 months now. Early adopters, how are they holding up so far? @TCinVA, have you seen any come through a class yet?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I've not encountered one in class yet.
    3/15/2016

I finally was able to take mine out last Sunday and put about 150 rounds thru it. It ate everything I gave it from lighter loads at 1145 FPS (Federal Flite Control 8 pellet) to Hornaday Critical Defense @ 1600 FPS. All of the shells were 00 Buck.

The only issue I had with it is that the polymer MLOK clamp on the barrels moved forward. I have my Olight Odin Mini attached to it and had I shot it further I feel the clamp would have completely flown off:

Name:  messages_0.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  34.7 KB

I called Mossberg directly and asked what the deal was. They said to tighten it down with 4# of torque. I would think that it would have already been tightened correctly coming from the factory but maybe - JUST MAYBE - it wasn't or it loosened during shipping. Other than that, the shotgun performed flawlessly for me and is my new favorite (I also have a RIA VR80). It just feels good too.
    Last edited by SiperTed; 12-11-2022 at 11:03 AM.

For those that may also have a Olight Odin or Odin Mini, that is an Ariska Defense Side Scout Mount that the light is mounted too. Not sure if a lot of people know this but the Odin actually has the Scout footprint if you're not using their included adapter.

You COULD try to mount the light directly to the MLOK clamp but the problem is you have to take the clamp completely off in order to do so. So that means it becomes a PIA to remove the light too. Also, the light then interferes with the clamp screws so you would most certainly need a 90 degree Allen wrench to mount it back onto the barrel. You also cannot use the 45 degree offset mount that comes with the Odin because the Mossy does not have a handguard like an AR15 where it could curve around to the 4 or 5 O'Clock positions, so that leaves you only being able to mount it in the upward 11 O'Clock position and that CLEARLY gets in the way of the your sight, whether you're using a Red Dot or Not. The light basically becomes a blind spot in this scenario.

And while the Ariska is a bit pricey, it's the only one that I could find that would work with the clamp on the Mossberg. However, it's a solid, well-crafted piece of aluminum. The Ariska mount cleared all my issues up because it is short enough that it doesn't interfere with the bottom of the clamp (despite the inward tilt) and it allows you to mount it at the 3 O'Clock position which doesn't block your vision (as you can see in my picture above) at all.
    Last edited by SiperTed; 12-11-2022 at 01:07 PM.

I had the same problem with a SureFire Scout attached to the factory composite clamp on my 1301.

From your pics, it looks like there is a recessed cutout on the mag tube for the clamp to sit in. Make sure it’s seated in there.

If that doesn’t work, you could try lining the inner surface of the clamp with some rubber friction tape.

The solution I went with on my 1301 was to get rid of the clamp. I now use a GGG pic rail section that fits between the tube extension and clamp my light and a sling stud to it.
    Name:  E2C25F37-590C-41CF-9958-2AD748557481.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  33.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    I had the same problem with a SureFire Scout attached to the factory composite clamp on my 1301.

From your pics, it looks like there is a recessed cutout on the mag tube for the clamp to sit in. Make sure it’s seated in there.

If that doesn’t work, you could try lining the inner surface of the clamp with some rubber friction tape.

The solution I went with on my 1301 was to get rid of the clamp. I now use a GGG pic rail section that fits between the tube extension and clamp my light and a sling stud to it.
    Name:  E2C25F37-590C-41CF-9958-2AD748557481.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  33.9 KB
    Hey! Thanks for the tips!

Yeah, the clamp WAS seated within the recessed cutout to begin with and by the end of the hour it moved that far forward. I tightened it down with 5# of pressure and will head out to the range later on this week and see if it stays on. If it doesn't, I'm going to try your ideas.

If it still walks out of the recess even with the correct torque specs, you could use some heat shrink tubing. Just put a small band at the front edge of the recess to increase the lip that the clamp rests against. I like using marine grade tube because it adds a heat activated adhesive to prevent any movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    If it still walks out of the recess even with the correct torque specs, you could use some heat shrink tubing. Just put a small band at the front edge of the recess to increase the lip that the clamp rests against. I like using marine grade tube because it adds a heat activated adhesive to prevent any movement.
    That's a great idea, actually! You have any links to tubing you use?

I discover the tubing at a boating store but if you check Amazon, search for DUAL WALL SHRINK TUBE or ADHESIVE LINED SHRINK TUBE.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    So these have been out on the street for over 6 months now. Early adopters, how are they holding up so far? @TCinVA, have you seen any come through a class yet?
    @LHS, how about y'all? Any come through class yet?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List