Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 940 Tactical

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    @LHS, how about y'all? Any come through class yet?
    I saw one being used at the Thunderstick Summit (I think Fisher brought it and lent it to a student), and didn't see any issues with it, but I also wasn't paying much attention to it on account of teaching and learning

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Site Supporter
    Good price at $899.

I'm surprised there are guns left in Oregon, but it may be easier for the dealer to ship. I have a top-tang safety habit -- and who knows what the law will be in my state in a bit.

https://www.nwarmory.com/product/mos...eady-18.5-7-rd

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    Good price at $899.

I'm surprised there are guns left in Oregon, but it may be easier for the dealer to ship. I have a top-tang safety habit -- and who knows what the law will be in my state in a bit.

https://www.nwarmory.com/product/mos...eady-18.5-7-rd
    That's a good price. Someone should snatch that up quick. I haven't seen it for less than $850.

Site Supporter
    The folks at Northwest Armory shipped quick, within a few days of ordering.

I'm sure they are buried in transactions down in Portlandia. Good service.

I got it out to my range (in cold, windy eastern Oregon) and ran some rounds through it today. I'm a recoil wimp, and I don't have a lot of buckshot on hand, so I shot two boxes of bird shot and about five rounds of 00 buck.

I have the small recoil pad on, which does seem to be right at a 12.5 inch L.O.P. My Hogue youth stock on my Mossberg 590 comes in a little under 12, with a little larger recoil pad. Nevertheless, this gun is way easier to run for me.

The 940 choked a bit on the first box, which was very low recoil 9-shot birdshot/target Estate stuff rated at 1145 fps. It ran better toward the end of the box, after I put some lube in the bolt area. I then ran a slightly warmer federal birdshot load, rated at 3 dram, or 1200, fps with no problems. The Estate buckshot was rated at 1300 fps and ran fine. It did seem to hit a little high at 10 yards, but it was probably me.

I called it after 55 rounds as it was pretty cold out, and I was starting to do the muzzle dip when pulling the trigger.

It seems like a nice gun for me so far. I do have years of carrying shotguns in the field with that safety location, so I hope it works out. If it proves good to go I'll put a red dot on it.

Name:  IMG_0808.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  101.4 KB

Site Supporter
    I took the 940 out again today. It was about 28 degrees out and sunny. I put about 60 rounds through it. It struggled with the lower velocity (1145) estate bird shot again, so I didn't put much of that through.
    It ran another box of the 1200fps/3 dram federal bird shot just fine, with no problem.
    It ran the Estate 00 buckshot rated at 1300 fps just fine -- about 9 of those was all I had left. It grouped high again. Cases were chucked out vigorously. I wish I could find some more of that -- it was a good buy when I bought in 2016. I think it is off the market though.

I ran five federal personal defense 00 buckshot rounds through. This is rated at 1145 fps, but the action cycled fine. Nice tight patterns, so I assume it had a flightcontrol wad in it. The photo below has two shots, one at the 0, one at the -1:

Name:  IMG_0810.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  32.3 KB

I ran 10 Winchester Defense 00 through it. The box rated it at 1145fps, and it did not cycle well at all. It didn't pattern well either. One shot group -- I'm sure I pushed left, but wow:

Name:  IMG_0812.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  30.4 KB

So the magic number for velocity right now (with only about 110 rounds through it) is probably greater than 1200 fps, with 1300 better. I picked up some 1245 fps trap loads at the local bi-mart so I'll try those next time the weather doesn't suck and I have a day off.

I did notice that the action was difficult to open when I had a round chambered. The chamber may be sticky or it may have been the cold (or both). I'm sure that affected the cycling of the lower velocity rounds.

Site Supporter
    So the okay news and the bad news:

I gave the gun a good cleaning and ran another 10 rounds through it last weekend and about 70 rounds through it today.
    The good news is that it seems to cycle the federal buckshot fine, and ran another 10 rounds of "mili" Canadian made buckshot fine as well. It also cycled a heavy birdshot load that I think I inherited. This old Winchester stuff has some thump to it:

Name:  IMG_0827.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  39.4 KB

It is intermittent with the light trap loads still. The new Winchester stuff that I bought at bi-mart is one-once at 1275 fps, and really didn't run well. It is probably not great ammo to begin with. The Estate trap stuff is a little lighter at 1145 and less than an once, and it seemed to run a little better. Mossberg recommends one once at 1200 fps minimum.
    Where it chucks them out is dependent -- the buckshot and heavier loads were nice and far out.

Name:  IMG_0829.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  100.9 KB

The bad issue that I'm having, and the reason I only put about 10 rounds through it last weekend, is that it is very difficult to manually cycle a loaded round, which I noticed a couple weekends ago on the second time out. It's not to the point of needing a mallet, but it is very stiff when loaded, and I need to smack it/reef on it to get the loaded round out.

This does not occur with an aluminum snap cap, but only loaded rounds. The aluminum snap cap cycles easily -- I checked it when I first got the gun. I figured a cleaning with less lube might solve the issue, but when that didn't work, I lubed the bolt, locking area etc. quite well. It still is an issue and not really very reassuring, since I don't have a clearing barrel in my house.... (I'm not loading the gun at home at this time obviously).

My guess is that the chamber needs polishing, but it doesn't really feel rough to the touch. So, I'm not sure what exactly what is occurring. When hand cycling, the bolt comes back a slight amount, but then stops. The locking lug appears to clear out of the recess just fine, but then the bolt stops and needs a smack. I figured I would run it today and see if it loosened up, but it just hasn't.

Mossberg has offered to send a shipping label, and I think that is the route I will take.

The mystery is why it is so difficult to manually clear a loaded round from the chamber. It's pretty consistent, too, low brass, high brass, buckshot, whatever. I'm not counting out operator error, here, either. . .
    Last edited by idahojess; 02-12-2023 at 01:09 AM.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    The mystery is why it is so difficult to manually clear a loaded round from the chamber. It's pretty consistent, too, low brass, high brass, buckshot, whatever. I'm not counting out operator error, here, either. . .
    That is puzzling. If something in the trigger plate was retarding the function of the bolt you'd think it would impact the shooting function of the gun, not just manual operation of the bolt.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    That is puzzling. If something in the trigger plate was retarding the function of the bolt you'd think it would impact the shooting function of the gun, not just manual operation of the bolt.
    Thanks, it really doesn't make sense to me. It manually cycles an a-zoom snap cap fine. As another, possibly irrelevant test, I've removed the barrel and dropped a loaded shell into the chamber, and it falls out fine. I haven't whacked it into the chamber though, so that may be the flaw in that test.

Anyway, I do have a label, and I will be getting it back to Texas.

Thanks, it really doesn't make sense to me. It manually cycles an a-zoom snap cap fine. As another, possibly irrelevant test, I've removed the barrel and dropped a loaded shell into the chamber, and it falls out fine. I haven't whacked it into the chamber though, so that may be the flaw in that test.

Anyway, I do have a label, and I will be getting it back to Texas.
    My 500 had sticky extraction with some rounds. I think it’s a Mossy thing

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    My 500 had sticky extraction with some rounds. I think it’s a Mossy thing
    Did it have trouble with unfired rounds? I've certainly seen it before with fired rounds, (Mossys and cheap 870's) after the hull has expanded. This occurs with loaded unfired rounds.

Which can be a bit sweat inducing.

User Tag List